Thoughts on wearing masks

ChrisL

35 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  Getting a new job is always full of suckage.  ;)

I usually only say that for effect, btw, life is full of shades of grey.  It is the rare person who gets it all wrong, although sometimes they do.  Also, I say it to people who have senses of humor and can defend themselves in a fun, sparring way.  Also, when I do say stuff like that, I am pretty comfortable with supporting evidence or pure opinion, which I also am happy to explain.

it is all fun.

All good, I get why you do it and the intent.  It still fucking strikes a nerve! 😡

• Heart 1

My thoughts on wearing masks:

If you think they are to keep you from touching your face, wear this: A big bear life — More stocking masks

If you think they are to keep you from getting sick, Wear N95 or higher, properly affixed, regularly replaced and don't touch your face, or anything else you may touch later.

If you think they are to keep you from getting others sick, there's a small benefit,

If your glasses fog when you breathe out, you also suck in coronas when you breathe in.  Cotton absorbs moisture, COVID-19 is easily transmitted in airborne moisture.

Gloves are OK, if you don't touch your face or anything else you may touch later and take them off properly and dispose of them properly.

And if any of these semi-protective measures give you a false sense of security, they are probably making things worse.

On my only trip to a public place, I chose not to wear gloves.  You can't catch this through skin.  I stayed far from people, did not touch my face.  Everything was placed in my cart with barcodes accessible so the cashier touched nothing.  I left a bottle of sanitizer on my truck seat, which I used just prior to getting in the truck (also wipe down the bottle)  When I got home, everything got sprayed with disinfectant, including my credit card 

• Heart 1

I  will wear them when going into grocery or other stores. Likewise with glove which I had plenty of before the virus hit. Last year bought a large box of gloves when painting the canoe with oil base enamel. As I was searching arouns he paint in the garage, I would them plus the pack of gloves I couldn't find that resulted in me buying the box at Harbor freight. Sometimes it is easier to buy than look through the messy garage. Also while was looking in the paint area I stumbled on a pack (2 remaining of a 3 pack) of N95 mask. Almost feel self conscious wearing them in public as others are wearing homemade or surgical mask. 

• Heart 1

Not wanting to wear them is classic. Wife noted when post-transplant patients returned to the hospital for their frequent post surgery followup, invariably, they would sit in the waiting room with the mask pulled down to their chin and frequently took hands to mouth while waiting. Me personally, I use N95 when painting, sanding, lawn mowing when dry/dusty, or crawling around in the insulated area of the attic. Regular N95's fog up my glasses as despite the metal nose bridge pinch, that is the primary air escape when breathing as the mask shifts a little during active tasks despite the rubber bands. That is why I prefer the ones with the built in vent. That is why I happened to have 2 of the standard non-vent N95s from a pack of three in the garage as I probably went out and got the vent style.

I doubt any of the masks I'd have access to would actually be all that helpful. But I'd consider some sort of a mouth/nose covering if it provided added protection to others while I was out shopping or for other essential errands.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I doubt any of the masks I'd have access to would actually be all that helpful. But I'd consider some sort of a mouth/nose covering if it provided added protection to others while I was out shopping or for other essential errands.

But think of the fashion possibilities.

Frog Latex Mask Buy Animal Masks | horror-shop.com

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

23 hours ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  Surgical mask provide a small amount of protection against others with the virus, certainly more than wearing no mask.

What is with all these all or nothing stories?  

I’d like to get back to this point.  The shift in thinking recently is yes, wear a mask/face covering as if you are not symptomatic and positive, it can prevent you from giving it to others.  I’m not seeing any medical professionals indicating it will prevent you from getting it.  (I’m talking about non N95 masks).

Not trying to prove RG WRONG, just wondering if anyone has heard any reports to support his point as it does seem it could offer some benefit of protecting you from getting sick but they are not saying this. At least not that I have seen.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I’d like to get back to this point.  The shift in thinking recently is yes, wear a mask/face covering as if you are not symptomatic and positive, it can prevent you from giving it to others.  I’m not seeing any medical professionals indicating it will prevent you from getting it.  (I’m talking about non N95 masks).

Not trying to prove RG WRONG, just wondering if anyone has heard any reports to support his point as it does seem it could offer some benefit of protecting you from getting sick but they are not saying this. At least not that I have seen.

Some yahoos are saying that mandated universal mask wearing prevented South Korea's spread, but I thought all asian people were born with masks, anyway.

They would prevent at least direct expulsion of air right in your mouth.  Droplets would have to find a more circuitous route to your mouth if you have a mask on, which is still possible but not as by an undetermined margin.  They wouldn't help with the eyes, though.

I think you have to look at it like Team Sky and their theory of incremental gains, only now you seek incremental decreases in risk where you can get them.

I have to help a friend move this weekend.  He's pretty compromised.  So is one of the other helpers (who refuses to stay home).

I have some cheap masks, I'll wear one so I don't cough on them, and it will make them feel better.  Mostly, I'll make sure we maintain distance and handwash a lot.

I don't know if they have their own, real masks to avoid catching this.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

From 2009:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2662657/

On 4/2/2020 at 10:49 AM, donkpow said:

Probably. I only have the one mask so I'm not wearing any. I am wearing gloves everywhere except home and to work outside. Home Depot donated all their painter's masks, etc. to first responders, local health care workers, and other service providers.

My supply of cheap rubber gloves was lost in the house fire.  I'm not sure about wearing them - right now, I'd rather wash my hands with Purell and Windex + water when my little bottle runs out than potentially carry germs back to my car on the gloves.

BUT, if I decide to wear gloves, I like the Pearl iZUMi bike gloves I have that fit my fingers, hand and wrist tightly - I can pick up a dime wearing them - and have layers of protection and can be tossed in a washer and dryer.  I use them for driving in the cold so they were in my car during the fire.  I also love wearing them if I'm cycling in 40° weather - my hands stay warm for the hour or so I wear them while riding.

Inside.jpg.4887f3979eeff02941e0d6536bba933d.jpg1791571672_glovematerial.JPG.351b704c92ef4cefdcd40c2ac38ad0d7.JPG

1823197787_AmazonVersion.thumb.JPG.268d470d58db1c67a7d0477ada528ff1.JPG

• Heart 2

13 hours ago, ChrisL said:

The criticism I hear from my hospital worker siblings for people who wear surgical masks is that a person must not touch the mask, or fiddle with elastic, take it off and on. Once you do it, with your fingers, it's contaminated.  The purpose is gone. This is the non-95. Still no guaranteed protection.

It might help only to stop you from touching your face often...not always.

A better way of understanding is for those who have worn face maska or balaklava scarf in very cold winter days for over an hr. long or more. I find my breath mists up my glasses, etc.....in the end, my covered face area feels more dirty, unhygienic...because of my sweat.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:23 AM, Randomguy said:

Outside of the yellow suit, that is what everyone does here.  Gloves are optional.

Gloves confuse me. Just like normal hands, you are still spreading and contaminating things around you and yourself. It’s just easier to not wear gloves and wash your hands. 

we did a test years ago where we put a clear UV dye on our hands.. you would be amazed at how you get that shot all over the place so fast. After that we did the same with gloves.. same outcome. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

Gloves confuse me. Just like normal hands, you are still spreading and contaminating things around you and yourself. It’s just easier to not wear gloves and wash your hands. 

we did a test years ago where we put a clear UV dye on our hands.. you would be amazed at how you get that shot all over the place so fast. After that we did the same with gloves.. same outcome. 

Same with Cheeto dust. Loved that commercial! :D
In fact, I think I’ll put it on the make me smile thread  :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

I support the use of disposable gloves. Yes, you spread contamination but you don't contaminate your own skin with contact. I put them on before I enter the store or bus and remove them as soon I leave. Carry a couple of pairs with you at all times so that you can discard them frequently. Then wash up when you get home. I prefer nitrile gloves.

7 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I support the use of disposable gloves. Yes, you spread contamination but you don't contaminate your own skin with contact. I put them on before I enter the store or bus and remove them as soon I leave. Carry a couple of pairs with you at all times so that you can discard them frequently. Then wash up when you get home. I prefer nitrile gloves.

And don’t just drop them in the parking lot. I have seen so much of that. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I've got some glove liners that I'll wear when I go out, mainly as a reminder not to touch my face.  I take them off when I get home, toss them in the laundry bag and wash my hands.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

My husband wears them at the store.  He them pulls them off inside out and puts them in a bag.  That bag is quarantined for 2 weeks, and will be used the next time he shops.  We are only going out every 2-3 weeks

• Heart 2