Does your family suck?

Dottleshead

No, my family all get along, when we go home, we stay with my sister and her husband at the cottage.  My other brother times his trips home so we are there the same time.  My second brother and I played on the same ball teams for years

No squabbles, we all get along well and have taken trips together.

• Envious 1

I have a very small family.  My inlaws were awesome when they were alive.  My parents are incredible.  My brother is a very well to do redneck and his wife and daughters are awesome.  His MIL is sort of out there.  I have two cousins and they are good people but we do not see much of each other except Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I am the black sheep of the family if we have one.

• Haha 1

My immediate family gets along.  It's once you branch out from there, it gets a little crazy. 

I have one cousin who blew through 250k of inheritance within a year. She received it from my grandmother.  I have a feeling most in my family don't care for that cousin as she likely did some shady things with the will before grandma passed away. To me it's only money but others, like my cousin's son, really needed that money for the future.  

Other than that, we all pretty much get along. 

I get along well with my siblings.  We each have our quirks and different personalities, but I enjoy their company and I know they would be there for me if I needed them.  I also know I could trust them completely when it comes to financial things, neither of them would ever cheat me.  We've gone through closing out three "estates" that didn't involve a lot of money. but required working together and decisions over some personal property and there were no disagreements.

I was blessed with a wonderful family. I had a sister that had mental issues and she had a stressful life. My parents were great and so were my in-laws. Mother-in-law is now in assisted living center, my cousins and aunts and uncles were all great too. I grew up with a loving family.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

My wife, kids & their SO’s formed a tight knit group that gets along well and genuinely likes to hang out together.  Neither SO’s parents have been able to assimilate into our group (all are welcome they just don’t?) which does seem odd but it is what it is.  My SIL talks to me more than his own dad?  

My siblings get along for the most part.  I have the “bitch sister” but none of us really get along with her.  I mainly talk to the two closest in age to me but am on good terms with all but bitch sister.

My nephews & nieces are all on good terms with me/us.  I see some more than others though.   My large extended family I don’t see often but no issues with them & look forward to seeing them. 

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I am the black sheep of the family

That would be me....I never felt like I fit in with the group. We don't hate each other we don't have a lot in common. 

58 minutes ago, BR46 said:

That would be me....I never felt like I fit in with the group. We don't hate each other we don't have a lot in common. 

They all had set career paths.  I was a bit more of a wanderer.   All degreed professionals.  Brother is an engineer, CE, dad had a career in industrial manufacturing, mainly hand tools or machinery.  Mom, two uncles, one cousin were or are educators.

• Heart 3

I just have my sister..she has been diagnosed with mental health issues since she was 18 or 19...and is a recovering chemical dependent person..I am 5 years younger...We manage best to tolerate each other..I have learned to limit my exposure...However I am checking in on her every couple of days during this crap.  If you want to talk about family issues cos you're stressing..pm me..I will give you my number....been there done that.

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have a problematic sister.  She wrote the line "I am not happy until you are not happy". 

Horrible thing to say -- but deep down from an antagonist, rebel point of view -- do you acknowledge a lit bit of admiration for her contemptuous attitude?  I mean, she may be a bitch but those are some concrete words. It reminds me of Neil Young's "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you.".

Anyway, sorry man.

There's not much left of my family. 1 brother. We were never close  much to Mom's dismay. She wanted us all to be a tight family so much. She & Dad favored my brother with their actions. So WoScrapr & I just made our own life. I suspect that brother & SIL "adjusted" some inheritance money to get an extra "share". They did take good care of Mom & Dad & lil brother as they passed. If they had asked about including SIL in the inheritance plans I would have said sure, you betcha.   I never counted on the money so no water off my back. WoScrapr never trusted them. I'm trying to be friendly w/brother & SIL but don't get much back:dontknow:

I am very close to MIL. I will be taking care of her till her last days. 

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Horrible thing to say -- but deep down from an antagonist, rebel point of view -- do you acknowledge a lit bit of admiration for her contemptuous attitude?  I mean, she may be a bitch but those are some concrete words. It reminds me of Neil Young's "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you.".

Anyway, sorry man.

No, not at all.  When I look at the toll her antagonism had on my parents, I was happy just to be the low maintenance middle child.  When people get aggressive with me, I tend to dismiss them. That is her status.  Has been since she ran away at 13.  Why let blood cause you to beat your head against the wall?