Ring doorbell camera

Further

Did they fix this?  https://www.zdnet.com/article/amazon-fixes-ring-video-doorbell-wi-fi-security-vulnerability/

Since my drive way is 150+ feet long, I installed a wireless motion sensor near the start of the driveway that triggers my door bell.  Normally (assuming I'm home) I answer the front door before the can get to the door.

2 hours ago, Further said:

These things are great !!

Put one on the front door, it see's the front walk and the driveway, tells us when a car pulls in or somebody walks up to the porch. The image is pretty decent,  I can recognize people. Install was pretty easy, took a couple hours at most. 

We  bought one for the in laws but they moved into an apartment before we could put it in so I put it on our house.  Already help police catch one guy trying to break into houses

• Heart 4

21 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

we use the cameras to monitor the sheep lambing pens.  Unlike @sheep_herder we don't have to go out to check for lambs in the middle of the night.

We've never had less than 20 head plus lodging would make it difficult to use cameras for monitoring.  You still have to look at the camera, so if monitoring, I would probably prefer using the microphone system to pick up the ewe sounds during birthing.  I have friends that have used these effectively. Having just a few head allows you to use some toys that might not work for many others. I am up in the night, like now, so checking is no problem.

• Awesome 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 7:10 AM, BR46 said:

We have a Debbie across the street even when she's not sitting on her porch she knows what everyone is doing. It's kinda creepy 

Bob and Debbie installed a Ring doorbell today. Now it's going to be double creepy. 

When we are working in the yard she will sit on her porch smoking just watching us. Sometimes she yells things across the street like I can't believe you make Tammy climb up the ladder to clean gutters, why are you doing yard work the Packer game is about to come on.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/3/2020 at 12:49 AM, Bikeguy said:

Did they fix this?  https://www.zdnet.com/article/amazon-fixes-ring-video-doorbell-wi-fi-security-vulnerability/

Since my drive way is 150+ feet long, I installed a wireless motion sensor near the start of the driveway that triggers my door bell.  Normally (assuming I'm home) I answer the front door before the can get to the door.

I have a similar setup and my entire property is fenced, so even people walking are most likely to use the driveway than to try and climb the fence.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:21 PM, Further said:

These things are great !!

Put one on the front door, it see's the front walk and the driveway, tells us when a car pulls in or somebody walks up to the porch. The image is pretty decent,  I can recognize people. Install was pretty easy, took a couple hours at most. 

There's one on sale in the April-May Costco flier online.  I think I'm going to get one when my house is rebuilt.

• Heart 1

On 4/3/2020 at 5:25 AM, Tizeye said:

Why limit yourself to a doorbell? You don't want stealth cameras, you want to be noticed...blatant in your face.

We have 4 wired cameras for each side of our home.  I can view the cameras on my cell phone, or my TV in the living room.  Motion detection via the cameras 'mark' the continuous recordings, so motion is easy to find if I want to review the recordings.   I can (but haven't done it yet) set up motion triggers that forward to my cell phone, to notify me of motion detected by the cameras.  I'll need to adjust the sensitivity setting for motion, before I send too many false alerts to my phone. 

The doorbell picks up deer in the front yard at night, my wife gets a motion detected alarm on her phone. The deer eyes glow pretty bright, but their bodies are pretty hard to see.

The first time this happened my wife called me from the back of the house, thinking there was somebody poking around in the front yard with a flashlight.

8 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

We have 4 wired cameras for each side of our home.  I can view the cameras on my cell phone, or my TV in the living room.  Motion detection via the cameras 'mark' the continuous recordings, so motion is easy to find if I want to review the recordings.   I can (but haven't done it yet) set up motion triggers that forward to my cell phone, to notify me of motion detected by the cameras.  I'll need to adjust the sensitivity setting for motion, before I send too many false alerts to my phone. 

I don't have quite that many cameras and do need to add more...but need to run the IP cables. Initially started with a Lorex DVR system but returned it as was WAY to loud. Even did a YouTube video documenting the decibels. Built a dedicated PC and run Blue Iris software couple with IP fanless network switch and an Asus router that is VPN capable. Ultra quiet by design where I can be in the same room with it and 2 PC's running. When I travel to Europe...or anywhere, while I disassemble PC and take to off-site storage, I simply remove the monitor while keeping this PC quietly running out of site. Also, back-up battery with 30 minutes reserve if power cut, so it keeps recording and hardened the exterior cable exposure with conduit plus since power/CATV are next to each other, a camera focusing on that area to see who was smart enough to do that. Incidentally, purchased Dahua cameras through a reliable source on Alibaba. What astonishes me is the usually 3 day delivery from Hong Kong. Particularly with time zones  reading the unadjusted shipping times - all on the same day arrives in the US and clears customs BEFORE it left Hong Kong! Also a side benefit of VPN, they may block some broadcast, such as NFL games, due to not licensed in that location, but with VPN streaming, they think I am still in Orlando!

Setting zones is essential and email notification. The biggest problem I have are bugs in Florida attracted to the IR red light and false triggers as they fly past. Disabled the IR and now have motion detected lights that activate, providing additional lighting. Plus my front camera, while only 2MP, it is as Starlight model for ultral-low light recording. 

• Awesome 1

Just now, donkpow said:

I've never purchased anything from or through Alibaba. I've considered it but always had too much reservation over security.

I was the same way - and there is a lot of questionable in the IP camera market. Even on Amaxon and Ebay will run across vendors that supply the cheaper Chinese version that won't accept firmware updates (and manuals in Chinese) rather than the English NTSC/PAL versions. Have to be careful.

In my research, most forums are pro-installer controlled and talk down DIY. Did find this forum, https://ipcamtalk.com/ which is great and covers all aspects. They kept mentioning how great Andy was with their orders, plus he did post occasionally. Finally got his address as he didn't list it in his "about me" profile, and wasn't using the forum as a business development vehicle. Definitely lived up to his reputation in the multiple items I have ordered.

• Heart 1