For those working from home......

Zephyr

Whats different?

For me...., I miss my bike ride in every day to and from work.  I had intially said I woukd go for a ride everyday and come back for work, but truthfully I just sleep later and walk downstairs

I dont laugh as much.  I kind of realized I have fun working with the crew I work with

I am drinking more coffee but eating less treats in a day

I now break for lunch at 1 instead of 12 so I can catch some 'Jerry Springer' while eating

I am getting as much work done as before.., just faster as there are less interruptions 

• Heart 2

The home office is in the basement and I'm probably climbing that flight of stairs 10-12 times a day. 

On my way to get something to eat or go to the bathroom, I prefer talking to my wife and kids compared to many at the office.

"More coffee, fewer treats" here too. I've actually lost about 5 pounds in the last month. 

I'm working on something that's not exactly in my wheelhouse, and need a bit of input. All the phone calls and Skype meetings seem much less efficient than sitting down to discuss in someone's office. 

In general I find myself feeling the same kind of general anxiety, all the time, that I felt before I left my last job... but this isn't job related. 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

23 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

For me...., I miss my bike ride in every day to and from work.  I had intially said I woukd go for a ride everyday and come back for work, but truthfully I just sleep later and walk downstairs

This.  My plan was to move rides to lunchtime when it warms up a bit.  By the time I remember it's lunchtime, I have a couple things I NEED to finish.

Motivation is getting hard to come by.

• Heart 2

For me, since I accepted the position I’m currently in, not much really.  I’ve been alternately working from home and the office for months.  But the problem is that doing this, it’s like so never get away from work. Some nights I’m up here in my office at 10:00, some times at 3:00 am. 

But that is taking its toll. So, I’m attempting to make clean breaks daily now.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Zealot said:

For me, since I accepted the position I’m currently in, not much really.  I’ve been alternately working from home and the office for months.  But the problem is that doing this, it’s like so never get away from work. Some nights I’m up here in my office at 10:00, some times at 3:00 am. 

But that is taking its toll. So, I’m attempting to make clean breaks daily now.

I used to make the absolute cutoff at 10 pm. No exceptions.

• Heart 1

Overall I really like it.  Commuting is so senseless!  I am feeling a tad cooped up, but the extra sleep and free time definitely more than makes up for it.  And it is nice to be with my wife and dawg all day.  I get oot for lunchtime walks which I never really was motivated to do at work, so that is a very nice little break.

The extra sleep each day really makes a difference in how I feel.  I'm also getting caught up on a lot of my daytime television.  But I do miss many of my coworkers who were helpful resources and nice people.  I also find I tend to be more efficient in the office even with the work distractions.

• Heart 1

I find I miss chitchat among colleagues and with them in person...I learn a lot of useful stuff with them in  person collectively.  It doesn't all come out in texting /emailing to them.  It's too much to type in all sorts of info.  We only do conference calls for structured meetings.

I haven't taken advantage of any cycling at all..but then we've had waves of ..snow...which is probably good for now. It keeps people more indoors.  I also go through a lot more toilet paper at home. :) 

Screenshot_20200404-123335_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f679e0f70f74d079f32df2c8295c3d73.jpg

It will be interesting when this is over how many will make the case for working at home a regular thing.  For someone in Vancouver to eliminate the hour long each way commute say 4 out of five days a week would be a big improvement on their life.