I hate new catch phrases

Square Wheels

The early adopters (and over-users) of new catch phrases are usually just trying to sound smarter than they really are. I had a boss once who would make up new terms just to screw with people. The brown-nosers would all start using the new stuff in everything they did and sounded like idiots.  I caught on early and I never got caught up in the joke. He saw that figured out what he was doing, so he started telling me what he would use next so I could throw it out there in casual conversation Like I was in-the-know before everyone else. It drove a couple of them crazy!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

We have a new guy as one of our section heads in Ottawa.  He is Jr and super keen.  We had a teleconference with our bosses on Tuesday, he used a number of these catch phrases and number of times each.  I am going to start counting each one and how many times he says them during the next meeting.

Just amuse youself SW, start a catch phrase bingo during these meetings

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

We have a new guy as one of our section heads in Ottawa.  He is Jr and super keen.  We had a teleconference with our bosses on Tuesday, he used a number of these catch phrases and number of times each.  I am going to start counting each one and how many times he says them during the next meeting.

Just amuse youself SW, start a catch phrase bingo during these meetings

One of the ways the minions pass time in big organizational meeting is to draw up catch-phrase bingo cards.

image.png.988e1c4986f63b9aced580c3e8b5b65d.png

Corporate Jargon Buzzword Bingo Card Art Print
  • Heart 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I invented spear dog, which is a combination or bird dog, and spear head

I invented 'automagically'.  It is used in a context when doing all the pre-work results in everything else just falling into place.

BTW- I'll be using speardog.  Where do I send the royalties?

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, Further said:

They are starting to say "future state" at work, this makes me a bit frightened

Going forward we will roll out protocols for the future state.... 

Seems to me a fella could get his ass kicked sayin' somethin' like that.  :D

(That role was Diedrich Bader's masterwork. :D )

The Diedrich Bader rabbit hole was fun!  His paternal great grandfather was mayor of Atlantic City and he was the Austrian heritage.  It sure stuck around for a while for his parents to name their kid Diedrich in the United States!  His father was/is a political activist or some such.  Back to the rabbit hole!