The worlds top 12 religions -- do you know them?

Dottleshead

The world's faithful account for 83% of the global population; the great majority of these fall under twelve classical religions—

• Baha'i
  • Buddhism
  • Christianity 
  • Confucianism
  • Hinduism 
  • Islam,
  • Jainism
  • Judaism
  • Shinto 
  • Sikhism
  • Taoism,
  • Zoroastrianism

I've marked the ones in bold that I'm somewhat familiar with and a couple in italics that I've heard of but can't tell you much.  I think maybe I heard of Jainism once but the rest?  Totally clueless.  So four of these are WTF?  And another two are huh?  

How many do you know without looking them up? Here's a link to read about them.

https://www.infoplease.com/world/religion/major-religions-world

37 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The world's faithful account for 83% of the global population; the great majority of these fall under twelve classical religions—

• Baha'i
  • Buddhism
  • Christianity 
  • Confucianism
  • Hinduism 
  • Islam,
  • Jainism
  • Judaism
  • Shinto 
  • Sikhism
  • Taoism,
  • Zoroastrianism

I've marked the ones in bold that I'm somewhat familiar with and a couple in italics that I've heard of but can't tell you much.  I think maybe I heard of Jainism once but the rest?  Totally clueless.  So four of these are WTF?  And another two are huh?  

How many do you know without looking them up? Here's a link to read about them.

https://www.infoplease.com/world/religion/major-religions-world

I knew of them all, but know slim to nothing about most. Hopefully, the "non" religions of atheism and agnosticism are doing well.

Just now, Zealot said:

Not really. Its just a topic that I’ve had a deep and abiding lifelong interest in. And have been fortunate enough to know people from many different cultures and backgrounds. 

Well Confucianism and Taosim is clearly Chinese and I know a little about both but difficult for me to distinguish.  I had heard of Jainism because all my contacts with the Indians in the tech world. But totally befuddled on the first and last bullet item.

Most Japanese are both Buddhists and followers of Shinto.  If you are looking at a temple in Japan, that's buddhist.  A shrine however is Shinto.  Shinto is more derived from older religions in Japan while Buddhism traveled to Japan from China.  They are not incompatible with each other.

There is a Bahai Temple on the "Mount" overlooking the Sea of Galilee that is celebrated as the likely spot for Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount."

That's the only one I've ever been in and there was no one else there but us tourists.  We went back outside before we read The Beatitudes.

I'm familiar with many of them. Once you leave a cult or two and critical thinking starts kicking in,  religious studies becomes a fascinating subject!

Christopher Hitchens, Carl Sagan and Sam Harris have become beacons of light for me personally.  While I miss the absolute certainty of my past beliefs, I am more comfortable now, knowing I'm absolutely screwed. 

• Heart 1