Sooo, who will be the first Cafe denizen to catch the COVID?

2Far

Just now, Wilbur said:

How do you know you don't already or have already had it? 

Personally, I do wonder because I have been fighting off the flu and its residue since March 9.  

One of my students welcomed his parents back from Vietnam the week before. I don't know whether they had traveled through China to fly back to the US at that time. None of us were paying attention in late February, early March.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

How do you know you don't already or have already had it? 

We were both sick after our trip out west. Cold/flu symptoms. I had a nasty cough at night. It went away and then came back in late February. Makes you wonder.

Does my neighbor count?  He says he had it in November.  An early adopter.  This was even before he heard the report on the police scanner about the train pulling tanker cars that had "COVID-19" stenciled on the side.  But I probably won't catch it, he saw a bunch of C130s flying over with their cargo doors open spraying disinfectant.

Yeah, just some of the things he tells me.  No, this isn't the neighbor flying all the Trump/Pence flags.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, 12string said:

An early adopter

Yea, he didn't have it in November unless he visited a wet shop or biological lab in Wuhan. 

I have a good friend who is convinced he had it back in December. He's a reasonably intelligent fellow but he hasn't left his area in PA for months. 

The only way we are going to know if we had it is through an antigen test, antibody test or body bag. 

• Sad 1
  • Envious 1

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

Do you still have PPE?

Yes,  We were pretty stocked.  Since our patients are so immune compromised we are used to wearing it anyways.  This is really not new to us.  Only thing that has changed is eyewear when taking care of positive or at risk patients.  We have added some cleaning in high traffic areas before and after each shift.  And we wear masks all of the time in center.  Not just when taking off or putting on patients.  But we seem to be pretty well stocked.  

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Hopefully none of us will get it.  But like others have said, how many have already had it and never knew.

Also, is it a one and done thing?  Do we know?  

I have heard both ways on different pod casts.  The new stuff that I have heard is that it appears that some people recover and still test positive for it (with and without symptoms).  There is also some talk about it being "seasonal" (like the flu).  This is all speculation of course. 

I don't think I'm at any more risk than the next guy.  I'm not much of a hand washer.  I am at work a lot less.  We are stuck in the house.  I wear a mask at work.  I don't have patient contact.  Our infection rate at work is lower than the general population, for now.  We're an 850 bed hospital that is now converting other areas into bedspace, we'll be 1000 beds soon.  We are anticipating most of those will be COVID patients.  When that happens, maybe we'll get sick faster.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't think I'm at any more risk than the next guy.  I'm not much of a hand washer.  I am at work a lot less.  We are stuck in the house.  I wear a mask at work.  I don't have patient contact.  Our infection rate at work is lower than the general population, for now.  We're an 850 bed hospital that is now converting other areas into bedspace, we'll be 1000 beds soon.  We are anticipating most of those will be COVID patients.  When that happens, maybe we'll get sick faster.

The news had a teaser aboot a Bassten horespittle that had 150 positives, didn’t catch the details of staff or patients or what. Guess that wasn’t yours. I’ll see how that googles. 

17 hours ago, 2Far said:

Dunno. Demographically, our NE folks are at some greater risk. :(

Left coasters at greater risk, too. :(

NE.....NEBRASKA nope don't think that is the most likely scenario...only got @groupw in Nebraska....I think our East Coasters have more risk. :whistle:

My theory is one day at a time...and do my best each day! 

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The news had a teaser aboot a Bassten horespittle that had 150 positives, didn’t catch the details of staff or patients or what. Guess that wasn’t yours. I’ll see how that googles. 

Right now we have less than that, but we're part of a system.  We'll be taking what they don't have room for, unless we are full too.

Unfortunately some in our county had a dumb-ass attack and we have seen a fast uptick in positives. Ground Zero was a Quincanera that had about 400 people over a wide social spectrum including some of our medical community and one of our city’s largest employers! This was well after the social distance and stay at home notices! We went from 8 to 31 in a week and we are expecting a huge increase over the next week. I have been trying to be responsible, but I’m going to be isolating even more than we had  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

My man has to take turns with other nurses to work specifically in a COVID unit.  They converted a whole floor to COVID.  

Pretty common from what I am hearing.  I am so glad I don't work in hospitals.  We are fairly controlled here in the center.  Hope K is doing well (you too!)

1 hour ago, groupw said:

Unfortunately some in our county had a dumb-ass attack and we have seen a fast uptick in positives. Ground Zero was a Quincanera that had about 400 people over a wide social spectrum including some of our medical community and one of our city’s largest employers! This was well after the social distance and stay at home notices! We went from 8 to 31 in a week and we are expecting a huge increase over the next week. I have been trying to be responsible, but I’m going to be isolating even more than we had  

Because....Quinceanera. 

• Heart 1

I also hope that it's none of us, and I especially worry for the members and family involved with patient care.  But my town has a number of infections and I know that even though I try to be careful, i'm constantly fixing my glasses or doing other things you're not supposed to do.

LOL I was there 3 weeks ago :nyanya:

So..when I worked in a call center a Cisco tech called for a NFO (next flight out) delivery in Omaha...Confused the hell out of us sending it to : Oh Ma Ha, New England....I don't  remember, but I believe he was originally from India...We figured it out..and got the equipment to Omaha :hapydance: