Some more pitching

Parr8hed

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Awesome!

The good thing is you/Em don’t need a mound.  My sons pitching coach used to trespass on HS bullpens for his sessions.

She has one in the front yard.  But softball mounds are flat (as you know).  We should prob be pitching from that but it's been so wet that it was a muddy mess.  She got in the habit of just throwing from the driveway and we havent broke it yet.  

• Heart 1

The mounds in high school and college softball are flat with the top of the 24" x 6" pitching rubber (allegedly) even with the level of the playing surface. The pitchers waste no time at the beginning of the game to dig, with their cleats, a channel in front of the mound so they can launch themselves toward the plate. The pitcher's foot is supposed to be in touch with the pitching rubber as the ball leaves her hand, but the good ones managed to cheat by a foot or so with their launch.

• Heart 1

On 4/5/2020 at 6:42 AM, tybeegb said:

Got your mask and cup on?  :P

Ha!  I sit far enough back on the bucket that the boys are blocked.  I am not worried so much about a direct shot.  Pretty good with the glove there.  I am more concerned with the ones that hit the plate and bounce up.

I do wear a mask for closer drills.  When I don't have enough reaction time.  But once shes out at 40 feet or beyond I usually take the mask off.  

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Ha!  I sit far enough back on the bucket that the boys are blocked.  I am not worried so much about a direct shot.  Pretty good with the glove there.  I am more concerned with the ones that hit the plate and bounce up.

I do wear a mask for closer drills.  When I don't have enough reaction time.  But once shes out at 40 feet or beyond I usually take the mask off.  

Ever get one of them in the palm?  Holy shitsky that hurts.  Towards the end of me catching my son I put a cycling glove on under my glove (no catchers glove).  After a while I had to find catchers to catch him as it wasn’t worth losing my teeth over... 

• Heart 1

Just now, Parr8hed said:

It is really heartbreaking.  

Sucks for sure... I was thinking about this and if you have to sit out a season this is about the best age to do so.  My son broke his collar bone so missed most of a pony season (league age 13).  It didn’t set him back any and he was back in time for travel ball which is the more competitive season anyway. 

Em is probably in a similar situation.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Sucks for sure... I was thinking about this and if you have to sit out a season this is about the best age to do so.  My son broke his collar bone so missed most of a pony season (league age 13).  It didn’t set him back any and he was back in time for travel ball which is the more competitive season anyway. 

Em is probably in a similar situation.

You're right, but this is her last year to play rec ball.  That is where the all stars from out of.  So she is missing her last year for that.  And second year 12U is supposed to be the last FUN year before everything starts to get serious.  

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Ever get one of them in the palm?  Holy shitsky that hurts.  Towards the end of me catching my son I put a cycling glove on under my glove (no catchers glove).  After a while I had to find catchers to catch him as it wasn’t worth losing my teeth over... 

I blocked one with my throwing hand today.  It hit the ground and I went glove down, throwing hand up to shield (like a normal infielder would do).  It took a funny hop and slapped the palm of my throwing hand.  Stupid.  

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

You're right, but this is her last year to play rec ball.  That is where the all stars from out of.  So she is missing her last year for that.  And second year 12U is supposed to be the last FUN year before everything starts to get serious.  

I blocked one with my throwing hand today.  It hit the ground and I went glove down, throwing hand up to shield (like a normal infielder would do).  It took a funny hop and slapped the palm of my throwing hand.  Stupid.  

Oh yeah, keep that hand protected!   So she’s a year behind where my son was... Yeah that’s different and your right, it is the last year of fun ball...

Due to my sons bday and league age cut off he had two seasons of Pony Ball before starting HS ball where as most kids have one year. He missed most of that 1st season. 

• Sad 1