Online orders, curbside delivery biz helps

shootingstar

Thank goodness dearie, got the online ordering for son's butcher shop...working just in the nick of time when covid-19 started.

Maybe it's a blend of people hoarding in slight way, bored of being cooped up at home, surfing the 'Net, but they are buying....meat, eggs (yes. Organic only. Eggs have been sold for past few yrs.), sometime butter.  Sales are at least 20-60% more than normal compared to other years during this time of year.  Or maybe people have more time, to cook more mindfully/creatively.

I'm amazed --the meat isn't cheap. However son buys from farmers who aren't part of the industrial big firm chains. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

A local BBQ restaurant (one of the better local ones) took curbside delivery to the next level. Having always had their party catering vehicles, they have an online/email coordinator making delivery to your neighborhood. While they can hit several neighborhoods, they alternate days to spread it out. Two days ago pulled up into the community center parking lot across the street from me which can hold about 7 cars. Assembles   his "event tent" and table, email sent advising to pick up in next 15-20 minutes and people would drive up, one at a time, picking up order. After 20 minutes take tent down and move on to next neighborhood (or back to store 2 miles away for the next neighborhood batch.)

• Heart 1

Since my family decided that this weekend instead of next weekend would be good for putting up the deck roof (tent) I went to the hardware store for curb pickup of 6 foot long pipe insulation foams.  They go over the support bars for the canopy and stretch it just a wee bit tighter to keep rain from making water pockets up there.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Tizeye said:

A local BBQ restaurant (one of the better local ones) took curbside delivery to the next level. Having always had their party catering vehicles, they have an online/email coordinator making delivery to your neighborhood. While they can hit several neighborhoods, they alternate days to spread it out. Two days ago pulled up into the community center parking lot across the street from me which can hold about 7 cars. Assembles   his "event tent" and table, email sent advising to pick up in next 15-20 minutes and people would drive up, one at a time, picking up order. After 20 minutes take tent down and move on to next neighborhood (or back to store 2 miles away for the next neighborhood batch.)

Interesting...  for dearie's son, he would have to get a city permit (which is common in many municipalities. That includes food trucks, etc.) But anyway, Toronto is not allowing vendor stuff like that in their parks which encourage crowds of people and make social distancing tougher.  

Before this pandemic, son had applied to several different outdoor farmers' markets in Metro Toronto. But who knows what has been decided now.  The sales right now, are making up ...somewhat for strong possibility of no stalls at farmers' market this summer.

We just discovered the store is listed today, along with 25 other butcher/meat stores  in a local hip event and foodie/restaurant blog for Toronto scene.  Wow, a little promo helps. 

A competing local butcher shop has had to close up because they probably aren't able to pay to the farmers. Dearie's son isn't in this position yet, so his cadre of local farmers (within a 150 km. radius or so) are still supplying.  Dearie's daily management of the finances over the years  and financial predictions/modelling comes to fruition:   to help son rejiggle how change product lines, reduce unnecessary costs, etc.  I'm glad..this means so far, he has been able to retain his staff...which is an incredible feat when so many food places and eateries have closed.