Did you learn aboot quarks and pions and bosoms and shit in high school or college? I sure didn't!

Ralphie

Yes.  But then, physics major at RPI..............which of course meant nothing after I discovered that New York had an 18 year old drinking age and there was a pool hall nearby.  That had more to do with quirks than quarks in the end.

Abandon all thoughts of electron orbits ye who enter here.  You are going to learn about electron probability areas instead.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Yes.  But then, physics major at RPI..............which of course meant nothing after I discovered that New York had an 18 year old drinking age and there was a pool hall nearby.  That had more to do with quirks than quarks in the end.

Abandon all thoughts of electron orbits ye who enter here.  You are going to learn about electron probability areas instead.

I took physical chemistry and and basic physics for engineering and I don't think any of that crap came up.

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I took physical chemistry and and basic physics for engineering and I don't think any of that crap came up.

Let me be the first to enhance your education then.  The best I can say about this link is that in the end you may be uncertain.

https://www.universetoday.com/38282/electron-cloud-model/  It does however make it easeir to understand how valence electrons migrate back and forth between to nuclei...................they just feel like wandering.  ^_^

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Let me be the first to enhance your education then.  The best I can say about this link is that in the end you may be uncertain.

https://www.universetoday.com/38282/electron-cloud-model/  It does however make it easeir to understand how valence electrons migrate back and forth between to nuclei...................they just feel like wandering.  ^_^

We covered all that quantum and electron cloud and Heisenberg and Schroedinger's cat stuff, just no quarks and bosons and hadrons and mesons, etc., nothing smaller than an electron.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

We covered all that quantum and electron cloud and Heisenberg and Schroedinger's cat stuff, just no quarks and bosons and hadrons and mesons, etc., nothing smaller than an electron.

In 1964 physics was much smaller..........so was history.

For that matter so was I

Just now, maddmaxx said:

In 1964 physics was much smaller..........so was history.

For that matter so was I

1964!  Shit that was a long time ago!  But they started discovering this shit around 1935, so you'd think we would have at least for a blurb aboot new developments and shit, even with the lag in textbooks.

8 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

1964!  Shit that was a long time ago!  But they started discovering this shit around 1935, so you'd think we would have at least for a blurb aboot new developments and shit, even with the lag in textbooks.

We started on it just before I stopped going to class and began day drinking.

• Sad 1

Quarks were proposed in 1964 and existence proven in 1968, and which time there were thought to be three different ones and were named from the semi-nonsense line, "Three quarks for muster mark," from the book Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce.

I had heard about protons and neutrons being made of three quarks, but I didn't know about pions, mesons, etc. until I got to college.

Bosons were theorized by Bose, Einstein, and given their name by Dirac, all in the 1930's when photons and gluons were totally theoretical but the first two actually discovered, the W and Z bosons, were theorized in 1968 and discovered in 1983.  I read the book "The Quest for the W and Z" by one of the discoverers when it was all pretty new, after I had finished college.

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Quarks were proposed in 1964 and existence proven in 1968, and which time there were thought to be three different ones and were named from the semi-nonsense line, "Three quarks for muster mark," from the book Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce.

I had heard about protons and neutrons being made of three quarks, but I didn't know about pions, mesons, etc. until I got to college.

Bosons were theorized by Bose, Einstein, and given their name by Dirac, all in the 1930's when photons and gluons were totally theoretical but the first two actually discovered, the W and Z bosons, were theorized in 1968 and discovered in 1983.  I read the book "The Quest for the W and Z" by one of the discoverers when it was all pretty new, after I had finished college.

I think klingons were around 64 also, right?  :D

Oops, no, 66. :D

Dunno, maybe. I took Nuclear Physics as an elective (because I thought I wanted to be a nuclear engineer). Me & 3 physics majors in the class. Dunno which language the prof was speaking, it sounded like English, but when I put all the word together, it didn't make any sense. Ever. I dropped it @ 10 weeks.

• Haha 1