Kraft Dinner ship by rail

shootingstar

https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/why-consumers-dont-need-to-worry-about-a-lack-of-food-at-grocery-stores-for-now?video_autoplay=true

In Canada Kraft Dinner is made in Montreal, then shipped to distribution centre just north of Toronto. Then trucked to various points in Ontario and Quebec. Probably Maritime provinces too.

Then to Western Canadian provinces... via rail.  Geez.  That sounds abnormal. Dearie thinks it's not entirely efficient. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the fact, of those huge train containers..1 is full of KD.

17 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I think the logistics experts know what they’re doing.

Dearie wouldn't agree....he think's certain points in Western Canada would be served better by trucks....but it wouldn't be surprising the trucking companies are going nuts and there's been shortage of trained long haul truck drivers in Canada even before this pandemic. 

Dearie was a national manager for trucking fleet for several years for national oil firm...he managed logistics, did automation, etc.  He was the person that negotiated and struck billion dollar contract for his national firm with 1 of national rail lines.  He knows the limits of rail speed in cities vs. non-urban.  I've heard stories about ocean port unloading, etc.  Manufactured food shipment allows more flexibility in nimble transport vs. heavy duty commodities, raw materials.

Time and time again, rail has been proven to be the cheaper alternative for shipping large quantities over long distances.  

It is Kraft Dinner for heavens sake.  They could not care less about how efficient getting out west it is, when it has a shelf life of pretty much forever.  They want to get it out here as cheaply as they can so they ship by rail.  That is why you can get it on sale for a dollar a box

• Heart 2