Need to get back into chess sooner than expected

MickinMD

I took a break last fall from competitive chess after a couple years of tournaments without a break.

I just got this message from our Team USA Southeast Administrator:

Next up....Albania. Team USA Southeast is down on every board, with kickoff Thursday night. The East Europeans are strong. We need our "Cruisers", our 1500s, 1600s, and 1700s to lead us to victory. Thanks, Jim

My current rating is 1726 and it's been as high as 1889. But, just like baseball, football, etc. I need a pre-season period to get back into form and the VERY good Albanians will kick the shit out of me right now.  So I have to start doing tactics drills, puzzles, studying openings, etc.  I'll start after I get my lost property list from the fire completed this month.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

My current rating is 1726 and it's been as high as 1889.

Not sure about the ratings, but I'm guessing, that you would kick my ass in chess.   I found this about ratings. 

I used to play a lot way back in HS and college   I'm guessing that help me with logical thinking and strategy, etc..  planing my next move(s), based on what I expected the other person would do.  

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Not sure about the ratings, but I'm guessing, that you would kick my ass in chess.   I found this about ratings. 

I used to play a lot way back in HS and college   I'm guessing that help me with logical thinking and strategy, etc..  planing my next move(s), based on what I expected the other person would do.  

My 1726 puts me in the 93.8th percentile, or top 6.2% of players. Against most of the Eastern European Teams, that doesn't mean much because most of them have high ratings and I play in "Daily" matches where each player has 2-3 days to make a move, so the quality of games is extremely high.  I was at 1889 (top 3%) for a while but was getting burnt out and decided to take a break. I'm close to feeling the competitive drive again.

Highest Performance Rating of All Time: 2985, Bobby Fischer, USA, 1971-72

Current World Champion Rating: 2863, Magnus Carlsen, Norway.

Approximately:

2700+ = World Champion Candidate

2600+ = Grandmaster

2400+ = International Master

2200+ = Master

2116 = Me, U.S. Chess Federation official rating

2000+ = Expert

1800+ = Class A

1726 = Me, Online Daily Rating, Chess.com

1600+ = Class B

1400+ = Class C

etc.

image.png.45d29b12c0c96a4f043a8aaae09bbc19.png

Actually for me getting my ass kicked was a good thing.  I'd play a lot of the same people over and over again,  Someone asked me why do you play that guy, you are going to lose again?  I told them some day I'll figure this out a bit better and they will lose.   And eventually that would happen.    There was always someone way better than me, 

I haven't played in decades...  too many other distractions in life along the way.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

So, mr. fancypants, you probably know how to set the board up?  I could never remember where the king went.  We played a lot in junior high.

I can blame the ravages of time. Withoot cheating, let me say that either the king or queen should go on its own colour. :D

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

Actually for me getting my ass kicked was a good thing.  I'd play a lot of the same people over and over again,  Someone asked me why do you play that guy, you are going to lose again?  I told them some day I'll figure this out a bit better and they will lose.   And eventually that would happen.    There was always someone way better than me, 

I haven't played in decades...  too many other distractions in life along the way.

I remember a magnetic compact travel set that my brothers and I used to play in the backseat on roadtrips.  My youngest brother was probably the best of us.

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I remember a magnetic compact travel set that my brothers and I used to play in the backseat on roadtrips. 

When we moved to our new home, I boxed up a LOT of stuff.  I'm sure there is one of those in a box in my basement.  

And i'm sure there is a backgammon game in the same box.    That was popular when I was in college.  Not sure I can remember how to play that game...   I do remember chess.

4 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

When we moved to our new home, I boxed up a LOT of stuff.  I'm sure there is one of those in a box in my basement.  

And i'm sure there is a backgammon game in the same box.    That was popular when I was in college.  Not sure I can remember how to play that game...   I do remember chess.

I went through a brief backgammon phase and I remember it as being a lot more enjoyable game than chess for me.  My main game was Risk, we used to play that for hours!

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

My main game was Risk, we used to play that for hours!

Yeah we played Risk too...

And I just remembered we played Shut the Box one year in college, in the dorm.  We had a 'league' with statistics, and of course drinking was involved.  If you rolled snake eyes twice you were screwed..   My nick name was 'snakes'.  That's how bad my luck was.

image.png.b03db5293efe4532944dd5103082d6cf.png