My dream: I solved a problem - but what was it?

MickinMD

I had a dream. I said to someone(s): "Go down to those eight boxcars and find which ones are coupled together. That will give us the answer."

The railroad box cars were parked on a track and were painted black and yellow and it was nighttime.

That's all I've got.  I wonder what the question was?

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Do not hump the boxcars.

When I worked at Westinghouse we made electrical transformers and because of the fragile nature of them all of the rail cars were marked with a wooden sign that said “Do not hump”. For some reason we found those signs funny.

• Haha 3

Just now, Longjohn said:

When I worked at Westinghouse we made electrical transformers and because of the fragile nature of them all of the rail cars were marked with a wooden sign that said “Do not hump”. For some reason we found those signs funny.

I wonder how they came up with that term?

9 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

“Which of those boxcars are coupled together?”

No. Just very bored today.  I woke up thinking it was Monday and I was going for a park walk while most people are working.  Then I saw all the church stuff on AM TV.

Never got into a groove.

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2020 at 8:32 AM, Longjohn said:

I’m not a railroad guy but I’m guessing that when they are in a hurry and they are making up a train they sometimes cut a car loose and let it coast down the rails to couple with the other cars.

They actually have an elevated area in the yard, the hump. They back the train up so the last car is just over the top of the hump & cut it loose. It rolls into the yard & they can remotely switch it to where it needs to go making up a new train.

• Awesome 1

Here’s the problem to your solution: A train left Pittsburgh at 2:07 pm headed towards Chicago.  The train had a diesel locomotive and 57 box cars and traveled at an average of 42 miles per hour. 
A second train left Chicago at 4:20 pm headed towards New York. The train also had a diesel locomotive and was pulling 88 box cars. The Chicago-bound train was to drop 16 cars in Akron OH; eight were for the NY bound train to pick up later and the others were for other trains headed south. The rail yard in Akron readied the boxcars for their respective locomotives. When the NY bound train arrived to pick up the eight boxcars, the engineer said to the yard master, I’m here to pick up the eight boxcars. The yard master said, good for you.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1