Will you be a good example and wear a mask?

Dirtyhip

Will you help the world flatten the curve on this virus and wear a mask, when you leave the house?

Our hospital CEO posted a FB video and he talked about how he is heading out to go shopping and he was setting a good example and was wearing a cloth mask.  I believe this is something that many people may be slow to adopt, as it is not normally something we would have done in our culture.  I am going to set a good example of how to act in public.  Will you do this too?

Although, I am not allowed out of the home to go shopping or be in public places.  My husband is not wanting me to do this, until the spread starts to drop in a significant manner.  Only place I go is work, a couple times a week for mail and bill pickup.

My natural laziness and lack of desire to stand oot are working against me.  It would be ok if you could just use a bandana or something already made.  I am torn between wanting to live and wanting to support local busynesses, like I will be devastated if the cheap veggie place does not make it through this.

If I were to go to the store I'd wear a mask.  If I'm going for a walk or a ride on my country roads then no.  There is so little chance that I will encounter people who get within 20 feet or so that IMO it's unnecessary.

On the other hand, I can't ride on my trail anymore because every dick, tom and dick is out in clusters of people walking and blocking the whole trail.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

My natural laziness and lack of desire to stand oot are working against me.  It would be ok if you could just use a bandana or something already made.  I am torn between wanting to live and wanting to support local busynesses, like I will be devastated if the cheap veggie place does not make it through this.

More people may wear one, and the ones without may stand out.   A bandana is fine.  The idea of mass people wearing masks is protect others.  If we all wore them, N95 masks are not necessary for protection.  

Our hospital CEO wore one in a video days before they talked about it in that press conference.  I am very sad with press conferences.  Statements and actions about behavior are confusing.  It misguides the masses.  

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

If I were to go to the store I'd wear a mask.  If I'm going for a walk or a ride on my country roads then no.  There is so little chance that I will encounter people who get within 20 feet or so that IMO it's unnecessary.

On the other hand, I can't ride on my trail anymore because every dick, tom and dick is out in clusters of people walking and blocking the whole trail.

A bike ride with distance does not need a mask.

I am talking about public places

12 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I keep thinking someone needs to invent glasses that let you see the virus. :D  I guess I would settle for a vaccine. :D  But the anti-vaxxers will be a problem if they do.

I have a close friend, and she has told me that she will not be getting a vaccine, if it were available.  She also refuses flu shots, because she says that there are too many heavy metals associated with it.   

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

They closed all our parks, and the walking trails are only aboot 6 feet wide, so maybe that is for the best since you'd have to veer off the path with everyone you passed.  And I guess you might have to worry aboot viruses on benches and such.  I don't know if they closed the 20 foot wide bike path or not, but that is 7 miles away so I rarely go there anyhoo.

And good people like @Digital_photog are making masks for the staff in my group homes.  Everyone needs three. One on their face, one in the laundry, and one in their pocket in case the one they are wearing becomes damp or soiled.   Don’t grab one bandana and wear it over and over. 

• Heart 2

The only thing a bandana does, is keep you from touching your face, it doesn't seal and doesn't offer much protection if any.  Only helps with the mental discipline part of touching your face.  Of course everyone I've seen wearing one, are constantly reaching up and adjusting it and messing with it, which completely defeats the purpose to begin with.  This is all insane, just using some common sense is the best thing to do.  If you lack common sense, nothing is going to help you anyways because you are probably doing stupid shit regardless.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Nope, I just avoid people.  Besides, I don't have any and people need mask worth than I do.

I will make you some if needed.  Send me a message. Seriously, I am making them and still have material.  I don’t sew well like @Digital_photog but I would make you some. 

Just now, Airehead said:

I will make you some if needed.  Send me a message. Seriously, I am making them and still have material. 

Nah, I am good and there are people that need them worse.  I don't fall into a high risk group and avoid people the best I can.  Hell, I hold my breath when I do have to pass people in the grocery.

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Indy said:

Nah, I am good and there are people that need them worse.  I don't fall into a high risk group and avoid people the best I can.  Hell, I hold my breath when I do have to pass people in the grocery.

They are not to protect you.  They are to protect others from you at this point.  It turns out that many people who have no symptoms are actually infected and are carrying the virus around to others.  Any mask significantly reduces the number of droplets that leave you to enter the air.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Airehead said:

And good people like @Digital_photog are making masks for the staff in my group homes.  Everyone needs three. One on their face, one in the laundry, and one in their pocket in case the one they are wearing becomes damp or soiled.   Don’t grab one bandana and wear it over and over. 

My daughter made them for the family.  I may make a dress version..  :)

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

They are not to protect you.  They are to protect others from you at this point.  It turns out that many people who have no symptoms are actually infected and are carrying the virus around to others.

And I avoid people, careful to touch only what I need to.  Taking all the precautions I can for that case.  A mask isn't going to help much more, especially if you are constantly fiddling with it (which most seem to do) and then getting it on your hands and transferring it to surfaces anyways.

Just need to use common sense.

22 minutes ago, Chris... said:

She’s protected by the blood of Jesus

No.  More like a hippy that believes that a plant based diet will cure everything.

19 minutes ago, Indy said:

The only thing a bandana does, is keep you from touching your face, it doesn't seal and doesn't offer much protection if any.  Only helps with the mental discipline part of touching your face.  Of course everyone I've seen wearing one, are constantly reaching up and adjusting it and messing with it, which completely defeats the purpose to begin with.  This is all insane, just using some common sense is the best thing to do.  If you lack common sense, nothing is going to help you anyways because you are probably doing stupid shit regardless.

A bandana/mask protects others.  It helps the entire community.  You could be a carrier with no symptoms.  This isn't about your own protection.  It is for others.

Common sense is to work on behaviors that help to flatten this.  Masks will help prevent transmission.  

23 minutes ago, Indy said:

Nope, I just avoid people.  Besides, I don't have any and people need mask worth than I do.

You didn't avoid people when you went for groceries.  If everyone wore one, while in public places the transmission rate will drop.  It isn't about your own protection, it is for community health. When more people have gotten this, and rates drop, hospitals will be able to care for everyone.  I don't want anyone denied care due to triage.

• Haha 1

No, it's just hard to get surgical masks, DH.  It's just reality.

Social distancing and washing my hands are my go-to.  I know I would tend to fiddle with cloth mask...because I've had to scarf up in -35 to -40 degree C weather. Fabric on my face bothers me and my hands are often adjusting the fabric away from face skin.  So a surgical mask would be better for me...but it's not available.  

None of my hospital siblings lectured me about wearing a mask. They've seen far too many cases of people often touching the elastic band, destroying the seal by taking it off and on. They'd rather I didn't go wander out often and wash up frequently. 

14 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

No.  More like a hippy that believes that a plant based diet will cure everything.

A bandana/mask protects others.  It helps the entire community.  You could be a carrier with no symptoms.  This isn't about your own protection.  It is for others.

Common sense is to work on behaviors that help to flatten this.  Masks will help prevent transmission.  

You didn't avoid people when you went for groceries.  If everyone wore one, while in public places the transmission rate will drop.  It isn't about your own protection, it is for community health. When more people have gotten this, and rates drop, hospitals will be able to care for everyone.  I don't want anyone denied care due to triage.

You are correct, next time I fucking go I'll be sure to hack, cough and spit on everything just to get this fucking over with.

And the world is overpopulated so I I fucking thin the herd, all for the better.

• Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I will make you some if needed.  Send me a message. Seriously, I am making them and still have material.  I don’t sew well like @Digital_photog but I would make you some. 

I don't sew well.  they look kinda sloppy but will work.  Have15 made now and need to cut out another batch of 12.  Taking a short break.

• Awesome 1

58 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have a close friend, and she has told me that she will not be getting a vaccine, if it were available.  She also refuses flu shots, because she says that there are too many heavy metals associated with it.   

I will not get one either. In regard to flu, I never had the shot either. I'm 45 and had the flu once in December of 1996. The flu shot didn't prevent it for me.

13 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

No, it's just hard to get surgical masks, DH.  It's just reality.

Social distancing and washing my hands are my go-to.  I know I would tend to fiddle with cloth mask...because I've had to scarf up in -35 to -40 degree C weather. Fabric on my face bothers me and my hands are often adjusting the fabric away from face skin.  So a surgical mask would be better for me...but it's not available.  

None of my hospital siblings lectured me about wearing a mask. They've seen far too many cases of people often touching the elastic band, destroying the seal by taking it off and on. They'd rather I didn't go wander out often and wash up frequently. 

Not surgical masks.  This is to prevent spread to others.  They can be sewn masks.  

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

You are correct, next time I fucking go I'll be sure to hack, cough and spit on everything just to get this fucking over with.

And the world is overpopulated so I I fucking thin the herd, all for the better.

Wow.  Terrible.  Would you say the same, if the herd was your own family, your parents, the ones you love?

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So I wonder what the next step is?  I keep seeing articles titled something like things will never be the same. We can’t gather en masse, even in smaller groups such as restaurants and such, until there is a vaccine or cure. 

Quite possible.

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I will not get one either. In regard to flu, I never had the shot either. I'm 45 and had the flu once in December of 1996. The flu shot didn't prevent it for me.

Over the decade or so that I have been getting the flu shots, I’ve never had the flu. Before that I had it several times, and man, it sucked!

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So I wonder what the next step is?  I keep seeing articles titled something like things will never be the same. We can’t gather en masse, even in smaller groups such as restaurants and such, until there is a vaccine or cure. 

I guess a new normal is in order for a while. 

I am guessing that some behaviors will end.  Like hand shaking.  It is a stupid habit anyway.   

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Over the decade or so that I have been getting the flu shots, I’ve never had the flu. Before that I had it several times, and man, it sucked!

People around me got much more sick than I have been the last year. I had a head cold for one day.  I haven't had the real flu for at least 8 years.  Like fever, chills, body aches, etc.  I have been consistently getting them for about 10 years now.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Wow.  Terrible.  Would you say the same, if the herd was your own family, your parents, the ones you love?

I'm avoiding them so it's not my fault, but I've also already reserved myself to the fact they are adults, will do as they choose and there is not a damn thing I can fucking do about it.  So if it happens, it happens.

Unlike some with constant over reaction and over dramatization of the situation, I am a realest.

I have a pack of 50 masks that I use while doing dusty jobs such as mulching the autumn leaves. I've been wearing a mask when going to places such as grocery stores. I also have a pack of nitrite gloves used for doing car work. I keep them in the car for pumping gasoline and using an ATM.

It occurred to me yesterday that wearing a mask into a business a few months ago would have had the cops coming. Soon the police might get involved if you don't wear a mask.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I have a feeling it may be like polio vaccines.  You won't have a choice. 

• Awesome 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

It’s documented in my thread from a few days ago that I wasn’t on board with it but my attitude has changed.  I’ll wear one while in public now.  It may not save me from others but it might save others from me.

Excellent.  This is what people are not getting through their thick skulls.  

Thank you.  This is for the greater good.  To not do so is selfish, and inconsiderate.  

5 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I have a pack of 50 masks that I use while doing dusty jobs such as mulching the autumn leaves. I've been wearing a mask when going to places such as grocery stores. I also have a pack of nitrite gloves used for doing car work. I keep them in the car for pumping gasoline and using an ATM.

It occurred to me yesterday that wearing a mask into a business a few months ago would have had the cops coming. Soon the police might get involved if you don't wear a mask.

I was thinking the same walking through the store last night.  

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I guess a new normal is in order for a while. 

I am guessing that some behaviors will end.  Like hand shaking.  It is a stupid habit anyway.   

Naw.....anything that means human contact is good.

Think yourself lucky that you don't live in France.....I had a big hairy bloke run across four lanes of traffic just to kiss me on both cheeks.

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

I'm avoiding them so it's not my fault, but I've also already reserved myself to the fact they are adults, will do as they choose and there is not a damn thing I can fucking do about it.  So if it happens, it happens.

Unlike some with constant over reaction and over dramatization of the situation, I am a realest.

Not over reacting.  Many of us are trying to help the situation that we are stuck with for a while.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Probably not.  I'm not convinced they will help.  Also, I rarely go out now.

Interesting and you work in a hospital.  

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Not over reacting.  Many of us are trying to help the situation that we are stuck with for a while.

If a person is basically by themselves at home and working from home....it's less of a concern overall and only going out for groceries, a bike ride in a near -isolated park over 30 km. long, with washing hands, etc.  

Maybe I should ask my siblings who bring groceries to my mother ...and start hounding them to wear masks.  Already they are working in hospitals, doing all the stuff they need to do when they get home...shower, wash clothes, etc.  They've been looking after my mother needs, listening to her lecturing, etc. for past few years.  It's unfair of me...thousands of kms. away to hound.

20 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It’s documented in my thread from a few days ago that I wasn’t on board with it but my attitude has changed.  I’ll wear one while in public now.  It may not save me from others but it might save others from me.

This is the same reversal that the Surgeon General of the US described this morning on meet the press.  New information has changed recommendations.  At first they wanted to save the serious masks for health workers.  Now they have determined that even a bandana adds some small percentage points to the welfare of the nation in it's entirety, something lost on some in this country.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Wouldn't happen if you wore pants.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Wouldn't happen if you wore pants.

You really shouldn't make light of these things.

Remembering to wear pants is a major issue for me these days. :(

• Haha 2