Will you be a good example and wear a mask?

Dirtyhip

Local news is reporting that the County Of Riverside (the County just east of us) is requiring everyone wear a face covering in public.

Riverside & San Bernardino Counties of CA have about 1/2 the number of cases but similar number of deaths than where I live in Orange County.  For some reason it’s much more lethal there.

I wore a mask to the store for the first time yesterday. Apparently I’m an early adopter around here. That’s ok. I deal with the public as part of my job though even that is going to be less frequent for a while. I wash hands in between every location change. I wipe down surfaces before and after I do work at a location. 
I have been doing my rides in the country. I’m more concerned about e-coli from the feedlot than contact with COVID out there! I am running streets instead of trails because it’s easier to distance...except for the idiot walking his little dog that took half the street AND the sidewalk then gave me a dirty look as I squeezed by!

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Will you help the world flatten the curve on this virus and wear a mask, when you leave the house?

Our hospital CEO posted a FB video and he talked about how he is heading out to go shopping and he was setting a good example and was wearing a cloth mask.  I believe this is something that many people may be slow to adopt, as it is not normally something we would have done in our culture.  I am going to set a good example of how to act in public.  Will you do this too?

Although, I am not allowed out of the home to go shopping or be in public places.  My husband is not wanting me to do this, until the spread starts to drop in a significant manner.  Only place I go is work, a couple times a week for mail and bill pickup.

I am not setting shit as an example.  I wear a mask so’s not to get or give the virus.   I am immune to other pressure tactics. 

5 minutes ago, groupw said:

I wore a mask to the store for the first time yesterday. Apparently I’m an early adopter around here. That’s ok. I deal with the public as part of my job though even that is going to be less frequent for a while. I wash hands in between every location change. I wipe down surfaces before and after I do work at a location. 
I have been doing my rides in the country. I’m more concerned about e-coli from the feedlot than contact with COVID out there! I am running streets instead of trails because it’s easier to distance...except for the idiot walking his little dog that took half the street AND the sidewalk then gave me a dirty look as I squeezed by!

I don't wear a mask while riding.  I will do it inside of buildings with others.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am not setting shit as an example.  I wear a mask so’s not to get or give the virus.   I am immune to other pressure tactics. 

You may be immune to peer pressure, but it’s impossible to imagine that others around you wouldn’t be positively influence by your behavior. You’re a trend-setter, whether you know it or like it. :nodhead:

I think to help change the paradigm this thread really should be about facial coverings and not a “mask”.  The CDC is recommending covering your mouth & nose.  Bandana, scarf, whatever you got.

Many are getting hung up on the word “mask”.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Indy said:

The only thing a bandana does, is keep you from touching your face, it doesn't seal and doesn't offer much protection if any.  Only helps with the mental discipline part of touching your face.  Of course everyone I've seen wearing one, are constantly reaching up and adjusting it and messing with it, which completely defeats the purpose to begin with.  This is all insane, just using some common sense is the best thing to do.  If you lack common sense, nothing is going to help you anyways because you are probably doing stupid shit regardless.

I disagree. Wearing a cloth mask catches some of one's own droplets, and if a person is asymptomatic, but still has the virus, catching those droplets is important.

It also gives the wearer a sense of taking action, which is not "insane," but can help mitigate anxiety.

And it send a clear signal to others that we care, that they matter, that we are trying. All important for social connectedness.

Even a bandana.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, roadsue said:

I disagree. Wearing a cloth mask catches some of one's own droplets, and if a person is asymptomatic, but still has the virus, catching those droplets is important.

It also gives the wearer a sense of taking action, which is not "insane," but can help mitigate anxiety.

And it send a clear signal to others that we care, that they matter, that we are trying. All important for social connectedness.

Even a bandana.

You get it.  Thank you, Sue.  

• Heart 1

This podcast Science VS helps explain the airborne nature of the virus. Coronavirus: Is It Airborne? The first 10 or 11 minutes is about the history of the science. Then they interview a doctor who studied the covid-19 virus. 

Bottom line is yes, but getting it that way depends on certain factors. They found hotspots of sorts. Hospital changing rooms. The staff had it on their scrubs and when they change they throw it into the air. Toilet flushing. Close the lid. In most public places, it doesn't hang around. One big exception is the grocery store entry. That airlock area where the carts are usually kept. Areas that are poorly ventilated are the worst. 

Dr. Ning: We don't have to panic saying we can not even breathe air anymore. I say we should be more cautious… because we know … that's the word…  more cautious, cautious, cautious

It sets the mind toward a certain sort of culture.  It's been much easier for some countries to do this than others because it suits the culture better there than here.  Nations where everyone is walking around wearing a mask all the time are doing better at beating the virus.

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Interesting and you work in a hospital.  

I wear one when I'm not in my office in the hospital.

I suspect this is the CDCs way of coming up with a (reasonable) plan that won't cause harm, has a tiny chance of helping reduce the spread, and makes people feel better.  My opinion if the last statement is the most important, to reduce the panic,

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I suspect this is the CDCs way of coming up with a (reasonable) plan that won't cause harm, has a tiny chance of helping reduce the spread, and makes people feel better.  My opinion if the last statement is the most important, to reduce the panic,

Too late.  It's already a world wide panicdemic.

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

the masks for @Airehead's  school are done and ready to ship tomorrow.  We still have more material. We bought 9 yards of remnants at $1.99/yard instead of the regular price of $5.99.  Made a total of 27 masks and used about 1/3 of the material.

DSCN0225.jpg.b49af28c156a0e023add009f34d61534.jpg

I am grateful for the kindness of you and Mrs. Digi. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

17 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Yes, the last part is the main reason I believe they are suggesting masks.  Most of this mask wearing is more psychological than anything.

And just think about it from a logical standpoint, it is proven only N95 mask, properly worn will prevent you from getting it.  So if only that can prevent you from getting it, the other types are not going to do much if anything to keep you from spreading it, if they did, they would be effective at prevention.

22 minutes ago, Indy said:

And just think about it from a logical standpoint, it is proven only N95 mask, properly worn will prevent you from getting it.  So if only that can prevent you from getting it, the other types are not going to do much if anything to keep you from spreading it, if they did, they would be effective at prevention.

I think you have to separate the IN A HOSPITAL SURROUNDED BY THE VIRUS from the casual out in public & in stores where saturation levels may be zero or much more (but likely less than a hospital room with an infected person(s) inches away.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I think you have to separate the IN A HOSPITAL SURROUNDED BY THE VIRUS from the casual out in public & in stores where saturation levels may be zero or much more (but likely less than a hospital room with an infected person(s) inches away.

Not effective is still not effective.

And if saturation rate is already so low, then you are fine without one.

Again, it isn't about you, it is for everyone around you.  This is what everyone is not understanding.  

I choose to be responsible and caring of others, and will wear one.  I will choose to do this right thing, until this is significantly dropped.  It has more benefit than harm.  If you wear one properly and know how to take it on and off, it will be a very good thing.  My husband has taught me how to deal with masks/face covers.  Knowledge is power.

I choose to wear it for you.  I choose to wear it for Wilbur, Madmaxx, Long John's wife, Futher and everyone else.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  :)

But, hey, whatever floats your boat. Not my wife and kids.

I prefer actual data instead of warm fuzzy opinion on pseudoscience to make my decisions.

And I live with my wife and kids and as it's been said over and over, anything but a N95 mask, properly worn will prevent you from catching it.  So those stupid mask will not prevent you from catching it, and no one is wearing one of this fucking things in their house 24/7 unless they have it, and then you'd be better off quarantining yourself even though odds are, you've already exposed everyone in your household and given it to them.

It isn't fucking rocket science.

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

:DeadHorse:

Agreed but will add one note, just saw on the news, nursing homes, retirement homes and such are still in absolute desperate need for masks and that is nationally.

So again, they are the ones that are in desperate need for them, I am not, so for everyone that thinks and feels I should wear a mask, donate a mask to them for me, when all of them say we are good and don't need them, I will then wear a mask.

So their, I laid out for you and offered a challenge, make me wear one.

20 minutes ago, Indy said:

Agreed but will add one note, just saw on the news, nursing homes, retirement homes and such are still in absolute desperate need for masks and that is nationally.

So again, they are the ones that are in desperate need for them, I am not, so for everyone that thinks and feels I should wear a mask, donate a mask to them for me, when all of them say we are good and don't need them, I will then wear a mask.

So their, I laid out for you and offered a challenge, make me wear one.

They want N 95.  This thread is not about N95.  

Cloth masks protect others from you.  It catches your own droplets.

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

They want N 95.  This thread is not about N95.  

Cloth masks protect others from you.  It catches your own droplets.

Funny how you seem to know exactly what I just heard them say on the news.

FUCKING HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

Funny how you seem to know exactly what I just heard them say on the news.

FUCKING HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not watching the news, today.  I listen to my husband, the CEO of our hospital, and the Presidential news address where it is suggested that they be worn.

• Haha 2