4/5 miles and such

Parsnip Totin Jack

3.44 miles on the fattie on the camp road. The road was sometime rutted, sometimes dry, sometimes muddy/sloppy, sometimes icy/snowy.  Luckily the tires are still quite low in pressure; 4#? Made plowing through the sloppy stuff manageable.

Holy crap am I out of biking shape!

• Heart 2

18 hours ago, Old#7 said:

I needed a route that avoided the MUT as much as possible.

I am now into the "only ride up until noon" category.  Seems the path really picks up after 2 or so.  I was able to get west fairly easily and pick up the "country" roads out past Leesburg and stuck with them as much as possible, but finishing up was a bit more challenging as I was into the "witching hours" after 2pm.  I'm gonna try to add a mid-day ride into the mix versus my typical afternoon ride :(

How does the CCT look?  I may do a ride or two into Lake Fairfax, and seems I could add in some CCT as well.

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How does the CCT look?  I may do a ride or two into Lake Fairfax, and seems I could add in some CCT as well.

The CCT near me, Fairfax Circle and south, is surrounded by neighborhoods and these feed lots of people into the park. I don’t notice volume changes by the hour, it’s a different mix. Early morning are the runners and dog walkers. Later on, more families. I rode a three mile stretch of the CCT to Pickett Rd and it was busy. Not as busy as the W&OD mind you, but busy. After that I was never on the trail again. Out on the roads was a joy. Great Falls was a cluster though. A cop was blocking the road in and cars were parking on the side of Georgetown Pike. People were walking in. I passed about 20 cars leaving the park and when I got back to the top, the cop was gone and cars were driving in once again. Drivers then had to dodge all the people walking in. Glad to get out of there. 

14 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

The CCT near me, Fairfax Circle and south, is surrounded by neighborhoods and these feed lots of people into the park. I don’t notice volume changes by the hour, it’s a different mix. Early morning are the runners and dog walkers. Later on, more families. I rode a three mile stretch of the CCT to Pickett Rd and it was busy. Not as busy as the W&OD mind you, but busy. After that I was never on the trail again. Out on the roads was a joy. Great Falls was a cluster though. A cop was blocking the road in and cars were parking on the side of Georgetown Pike. People were walking in. I passed about 20 cars leaving the park and when I got back to the top, the cop was gone and cars were driving in once again. Drivers then had to dodge all the people walking in. Glad to get out of there. 

Yeah, I imagine Great Falls Park is a NIGHTMARE.  If the parking lot is closed (and it is), all the morons will turn down the road and then realize they have to turn around once they reach the gate. A cluster.  Of course, then folks will pick the road or Riverbend (also closed???), and so on to just make Georgetown Pike a huge mess.

image.thumb.png.b0c58310097b5d14b86fa83726f43824.png

Saturday morning, helped a friend move all of his large furniture.  He's quite compromised for the virus, but last week the building inspector found a bunch of problems in the place he's renting and evicted him.  Masks all around, keeping distance.  I wasn't happy about having to put him at risk, but he was stuck.

Saturday afternoon, helped another friend (not compromised) move all of her outside furniture and crap.  Her house was under agreement before the lockdown, she has to go through with closing.  But she doesn't have a new place yet, and real estate agents aren't allowed to show houses or schedule closings.  So next week, we're taking the rest of her stuff to storage and she's moving in with us.  So no masks, might as well spread it now.

Sunday was heavy yard work

I am planning a right tonight.