Your public library

donkpow

31 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yup, I have been using hoopla for the last few months. I had tried it before in the kindle era, but it works much easier on a phone. 

Most library digital services work better on any device other than the kindle. The kindle is designed to sell you titles, the library gives them to you.

My library offers Overdrive, RBDigital, and Cloud Library as well as Kanopy and Hoopla. Kanopy is my favorite. I heard Lynda is going to return to libraries as well. Linkedin gave up trying to make everyone join. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I tried once with my library; it was too stressful.

You had to request a book, then when it was assigned to you, you had 1 week to accept it, and then two weeks to read it.  What if I was in the middle of another book?  I'm a very slow reader, and don't read every day.

It depends on the service. Hoopla allows anyone to access it right away. You have it for the checkout period. If you are not finished, you can renew it.  The library pays hoopla for each download or stream. 

With a shared service like Overdrive, there are a limited number of copies available. For these titles, it could be available now or you might have to wait just like a print book. You can only renew it if there is nobody waiting for it. 

1 minute ago, dennis said:

With a shared service like Overdrive, there are a limited number of copies available. For these titles, it could be available now or you might have to wait just like a print book. You can only renew it if there is nobody waiting for it. 

I'm pretty sure this is what we use.  Wasn't crazy about it.  I buy books through B&N.

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm pretty sure this is what we use.  Wasn't crazy about it.  I buy books through B&N.

I use hoopla and kanopy most of the time. They both offer immediate access.

You might check again with your library. A lot of limits have been lifted because they are closed. My Hoopla limit went from 10 to 25 a month. Kanopy has been offering certain items for checkout that won't count against your 10 item limit. They have been taking requests for ebooks to purchase for patrons.

• Heart 1