Had to phone it in today...

Nate

We got a lot of rain last night and my lake's out of its banks before dawn. I have a wooden walking bridge across the creek that flows out of it and its already under water and holding up a log the floated out of somewhere and the lake is backing up.

Its about 3 feet from the porch. Its usually 10 feet from the porch, so its not all that scary, but it got my attention

I was just out trying to clear all that mess at the bridge, but the water's got a hold of it and you can't pull against that current. I broke the handle off my hoe trying. I cleared as big a channel as I could, so now I just hope we don't get too much water all at once

The Yellow Breeches is flooding, too, so its not even clear I could get to the office. And I work for a university and its Friday and I had everything done and there's nothing going on

so I thought I'd stay put and see if I can keep the lake out of the house

there's a band of heavy rain headed this way. Its all a matter of how fast it rains, though, not how much. This next band should be the last of it for a while

• Heart 1

the one thing that I have one my side is that the house is about an inch higher than the ground around it. I end up with sort of a moat.

In the 12 years I 've been here, its only done that twice

I was just out trying to clear all that mess at the bridge, but the water's got a hold of it and you can't pull against that current. I broke the handle off my hoe trying. I cleared as big a channel as I could, so now I just hope we don't get too much water all at once

Dynamite is great for clearing logjams. Fun too!

• Heart 1

just checked on things out there and its looking better. Opening the channel some more and a break in the rain has brought the lake back close to its bank. The rain is picking back up, but we can take a good bit of water yet

OK, that's the second time he used the word ho in a post.  No one?

His process is pretty simple.  You tie a strong rope around the hoe's waist.  Toss her in up stream and when she get's close to the logjam you just instruct her which branch or log to grab hold of.  Once she has a firm grasp you pull her in and repeat.  Sometime the hoe get's stuck in  the branches and you can't pull her out so you have to get another hoe and start again.  I'm assuming that's what happened to ole Natester.  I've noticed that the newer hoes aren't built as strong as some of the older hoes. 

no basement at all. stone house, too. cinderblock on a flat slab of cement. Originally, this was a fishing cabin. It was built in the 1920s and was the first structure out in this little dell.

This place has taken a direct hit from a tornado and 2 full on hurricanes since I've been here

no basement at all. stone house, too. cinderblock on a flat slab of cement. Originally, this was a fishing cabin. It was built in the 1920s and was the first structure out in this little dell.

This place has taken a direct hit from a tornado and 2 full on hurricanes since I've been here

Dang, what did you do to piss off Mother Nature?

no, but hey, hey! ....FOUND SOME BATTERIES!!!!

Things are settling down now, so here's what it looks like at 11 am....lake is pretty much back in its bank

lake-2.jpg

here's the bridge

bridge-1.jpg

the spillway to the creek looks pretty cool

spillway.jpg

and then its a lot of water in that little creek there

creek.jpg

those boards are the front porch, the pic is from my front door. This wasn't a flood pic, just all I could find with the water that high

I think I was taking the picture of the goose standing there looking confused

and the other thin fast moving thing of water, that is a creek, pronounced crick.  And it Texas, I hear they call bodies of water such as your tanks.  I was gonna say puddles, but that would be mean, and I like you.

Since when did that ever stop....... Oh, never mind.

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I miss nate.  I doubt that he would survive for long if granted a reprieve but it would certainly be colorful.

You are so sharp.  He was granted several reprieves and never lasted long after any of them.

However......... I miss Nate (and Dora)

#freenate

On 5/10/2019 at 10:17 AM, maddmaxx said:

I miss nate.  I doubt that he would survive for long if granted a reprieve but it would certainly be colorful.

Oh I really liked him too. He has a small problem with restraint though. Indeed, it would be short lived. Kind of like Bikepacker but at the other end of the spectrum.