Hanging a bike

smudge

37 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How does your bike like hanging out in the bike shed?

Oooooh, clever!  Actually, I'm only putting it on the hook when I'm there and need the floor space. So right now it's standing on the floor. But I'll be sure to ask it next time I'm there!  :p 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Very nice, Smudgie.

I might flip the bike and hang it by the rear tire and not the fork side.

That's why it's not staying hung up when I'm not there.  But I want to keep the bars out of the way too, so it's hanging that way. The Hei Hei with the Fox fork will not hang by the front wheel. (Actually, that one will sleep up in the loft on my bed with me.  :loveshower: )

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

You store concrete blocks in the shed?

They should be out front with an old pickup sitting on them.

they were to weigh down my drag sled for the bike trail.  They'll probably go outside once the foot and a half of snow finally melts up there. 

And HoSmudge is working on the pick-up. It's somewhat driveable! He spent too much time last summer helping me with the shed; he'll focus more on the truck this summer.

• Heart 2

23 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Very nice, Smudgie.

Be careful if you have hydraulic disk brakes. Air might get into the brake lines and cause spongy braking. I don't hang my gravel bike upside down like my others for that reason. Having the brake levers at a lower point than the calipers just might cause any air in the reservoir to move where it shouldn't be.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Very nice, Smudgie.

40 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Be careful if you have hydraulic disk brakes. Air might get into the brake lines and cause spongy braking. I don't hang my gravel bike upside down like my others for that reason. Having the brake levers at a lower point than the calipers just might cause any air in the reservoir to move where it shouldn't be.

If you are worried about this, put the hook into the floor and hang your bike standing up normally.....

I use two hooks, one for each wheel.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

EEK.  Didn't realize this.

We park them like the rode up to the stand.  We are very fortunate to have lots of space.  It is not the best use for space.

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Hmm, I had never heard of this being a concern?  So assuming you have properly bled brakes air could still be in or get in the line?  

Not being a naysayer, I honestly don’t know?

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Hmm, I had never heard of this being a concern?  So assuming you have properly bled brakes air could still be in or get in the line?  

Not being a naysayer, I honestly don’t know?

Neither did I.  It takes up a alot of space to store them on their own tires.

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Neither did I.  It takes up a alot of space to store them on their own tires.

Yeah I have 4 hanging upside down, no suspension/hydro & 3 standing upright.  I have a god sized garage but they do take up a lot of room.  My brother fabricated a a couple of stands and gave me 2.  It holds the bikes upright taking up less room for the upright bikes. 

• Heart 1