Library Question

Razors Edge

...for @dennis and any other library users.

How on Earth are they going to deal with books and the COVID-19???  I can't imagine there is a quick and easy way to disinfect books, so is it more a quarantine returned items in some way?  Our library system's physical locations are closed and books are not "due" during this period, but man, this seems like a huge issue once they reopen.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Just need to give it a day or two and the virus dies.  Viruses can't live on a surface forever.

This is nothing new.

24 hours max from what I heard.  This was in reference to Covid-19 on mail but I would assume there is some relationship here.

Just now, Kzoo said:

24 hours max from what I heard.  This was in reference to Covid-19 on mail but I would assume there is some relationship here.

That's what I've heard too, but added a day buffer since people want to discredit and argue with every fucking thing I say.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How on Earth are they going to deal with books and the COVID-19???  I can't imagine there is a quick and easy way to disinfect books, so is it more a quarantine returned items in some way?  Our library system's physical locations are closed and books are not "due" during this period, but man, this seems like a huge issue once they reopen.

At this point nobody really knows. Possibly UV machines to kill it. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/24/coronavirus-diamond-princess-cabin-surfaces-contaminated-cdc-report/2905924001/

The CDC noted there was coronavirus RNA, or genetic material, found on surfaces in the cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship – 17 days after passengers had left the cabins. Of note, the cabins had yet to be disinfected.

While the data doesn't show if transmission of the virus occurred from surfaces, the CDC report recommends exploring that further.

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

By the time they reopen next year the virus will be dead on the books.

• Heart 1

Let's be realistic, not much of the population uses libraries anyways anymore and the same population that uses them are probably in the high risk group, so the issue will probably take care of itself.

:D

17 minutes ago, 2Far said:

They'll use a conveyor oven like the pizza places do. Turn it to 100o F or so & bake it for 5 minutes. Voila! Dead virus.

I prefer my books well done, crank it up to 200

• Heart 1

It's important to understand and only people with real deep literary research interest/need (for older fiction) or do serious research for their paid jobs....not all information is in digital form.  It never will be.  I say this as a professional who was a librarian for first 2 decades career-wise, heard all the efforts to digitize and also did deep dive research for others in both paper and (paid/licensed and free) electronic sources.

So I have this feeling a lot of the books just returned to the library over the past few weeks,...virus will be gone.  But again, it would be nice if this was tested.

4 hours ago, Kzoo said:

4 hours ago, dumbfuck said:

That's what I've heard too, but added a day buffer since people want to discredit and argue with every fucking thing I say.

46 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

It's important to understand and only people with real deep literary research interest/need (for older fiction) or do serious research for their paid jobs....not all information is in digital form.  It never will be.  I say this as a professional who was a librarian for first 2 decades career-wise, heard all the efforts to digitize and also did deep dive research for others in both paper and (paid/licensed and free) electronic sources.

So I have this feeling a lot of the books just returned to the library over the past few weeks,...virus will be gone.  But again, it would be nice if this was tested.

This information is from March 26, 2020. The problem is library materials get handled by multiple people and has an opportunity to get reinfected. 

The Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC) recommends a 72-hour quarantine of collection items as the safest and most effective way to disinfect them after handling by staff and patrons. 

10 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Sounds like time for a good old fashion book burning.

• Sad 1