Don't be a dumbfuck

Randomguy

A lot of people on tv and in the world are making incredibly stupid declarations, decisions, policies, and inviting the unwashed masses to behave the same way, so I thought I would clear this up. 

First, a simple mask of any sort is an obstacle, not an impermeable barrier, and WILL PROVIDE A SMALL AMOUNT OF PROTECTION for yourself.  You miserable dumbfucks need to realize that it is nowhere near as good as the fancypants masks, which ALSO DON'T PROVIDE 100% PROTECTION, just much more.  How much more?    Dunno, does anyone know exactly?  Anyway, a simple obstacle does provide a small amount of protection for yourself and some more protection for others.

Anyway, only an ignorant fuck would ignore reality and flounce around at larger dinner parties or allow children to have playdates or lick grocery carts.  Also, only an ignorant fuck wouldn't at least see the value in wearing a mask to protect others (when grocery shopping, for instance), especially since many folks don't have ANY symptoms.  You breath that shit out, other people can get it, no matter the long odds and no matter how unlikely it seems to you.  Don't contribute to someone's death because you are ignorant dumbfuck.  People who are dying have value beyond money to lots of folks.

Don't be a dumbfuck.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

26 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

A lot of people on tv and in the world are making incredibly stupid declarations, decisions, policies, and inviting the unwashed masses to behave the same way, so I thought I would clear this up. 

First, a simple mask of any sort is an obstacle, not an impermeable barrier, and WILL PROVIDE A SMALL AMOUNT OF PROTECTION for yourself.  You miserable dumbfucks need to realize that it is nowhere near as good as the fancypants masks, which ALSO DON'T PROVIDE 100% PROTECTION, just much more.  How much more?    Dunno, does anyone know exactly?  Anyway, a simple obstacle does provide a small amount of protection for yourself and some more protection for others.

Anyway, only an ignorant fuck would ignore reality and flounce around at larger dinner parties or allow children to have playdates or lick grocery carts.  Also, only an ignorant fuck wouldn't at least see the value in wearing a mask to protect others (when grocery shopping, for instance), especially since many folks don't have ANY symptoms.  You breath that shit out, other people can get it, no matter the long odds and no matter how unlikely it seems to you.  Don't contribute to someone's death because you are ignorant dumbfuck.  People who are dying have value beyond money to lots of folks.

Don't be a dumbfuck.

Agreed.  I wear my mask or face cover to protect YOU.  I have one that was sewn from a tightly woven material.  All of the N95 that we personally owned from construction have been taken to the Hospital for him to use.  It is that dire, that we have taken these items for him to protect himself from close patient contact.  

This era sucks.  It really does.  It scares me for the health of my husband and everyone else.

Just now, jsharr said:

My dumbfuck ass may try to fashion a simple mask out of a HEPA vacuum cleaner bag.  I do not have any elastic though.

I think some should just use a garbage bag to be safe, no virus getting in and out if it's sealed properly.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Don't be a dumbfuck.

Three comments

• This appears directed at one or more people here.  Not cool.
  • Last I checked, you are neither a virologist, epidemiologist, or physician of any kind, so you're "clearing this up" for us is only a distillation of what you've read in the news.
  • If the masks help at all, they are helping others, presumably not you, in case you're are contagious and asymptomatic.  Don't assume that symptomatic people aren't still going out to do whatever they feel they have the right to.

I've been pretty lenient with the posts as we're all stressed, but please don't try to cause more stress for some, even if it's only one.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Three comments

• Last I checked, you are neither a virologist, epidemiologist, or physician of any kind, so you're "clearing this up" for us is only a distillation of what you've read in the news.
  • If the masks help at all, they are helping others, presumably not you, in case you're are contagious and asymptomatic.  Don't assume that symptomatic people aren't still going out to do whatever they feel they have the right to.

I've been pretty lenient with the posts as we're all stressed, but please don't try to cause more stress for some, even if it's only one.

Yeah, as a n00b, he hurt my feelings :(

OTOH, @Kzoo does that almost every day, and hasn't been yelled at yet.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Three comments

• This appears directed at one or more people here.  Not cool.  - Typed up whilst watching the Cuomo address and more of a generalized statement, although I admit influence.  I love our recalcitrant dumbfuck, though, and he knows it!
  • Last I checked, you are neither a virologist, epidemiologist, or physician of any kind, so you're "clearing this up" for us is only a distillation of what you've read in the news.  I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, and thus qualify as a social scientist.  I am also skilled in the scientific method
  • If the masks help at all, they are helping others, presumably not you.  Untrue.  Some protection is better than no protection for yourself.  While preventing sneezes from your mouth from taking a direct path into another's mouth, a mask also protects against a direct sneeze into you mouth from somebody

What's going to happen here is it's going to continue to take ignorant dumfucks doing in ignorant dumbfuck things to die ignorantly.  When that continues to happen, these ignorant dumbfucks will lessen the population of ignorance and providing perhaps insight into their dumbfuckery for other dumbfucks and they may change their behavior.  It's that simple.  You can't stop dumnbfuckedness.  Let them die.

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Untrue.

Do you know what the effects are of rebreathing inside of a humid mask, in the presence (or not) of the virus?  Does the mask afford protection then, or make you more susceptible?  I don't think that answer is known yet.  What about people who wear them for days at a time?  What if the virus is on the outside of it and I take it home?

There are many unknowns, to blindly accept that a mask will afford you any level of protection, and not cause harm is premature.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

What's going to happen here is it's going to continue to take ignorant dumfucks doing in ignorant dumbfuck things to die ignorantly.  When that continues to happen, these ignorant dumbfucks will lessen the population of ignorance and providing perhaps insight into their dumbfuckery for other dumbfucks and they may change their behavior.  It's that simple.  You can't stop dumnbfuckedness.  Let them die.

If it were just that simple.  The people at the gas station are not living in seclusion, so it will spread.  I bet some of them live with a grandparent, and I bet many of their parents have some health issues, too.

Young people have a limited capacity to think in a long-term perspective, unfortunately.

Just now, Randomguy said:

If it were just that simple.  The people at the gas station are not living in seclusion, so it will spread.  I bet some of them live with a grandparent, and I bet many of their parents have some health issues, too.

Young people have a limited capacity to think in a long-term perspective, unfortunately.

You are right, of course.  Which doesn't invalidate my statement either.  These dumbfucks are going to continue to be irresponsible taking themselves out and unfortunately taking out so many of the innocent.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

There are many unknowns, to blindly accept that a mask will afford you any level of protection, and not cause harm is premature.

I will accept this if you accept the inverse is also true, and it may provide some protection.  Until we know for sure, I will assume some small protection for myself, and feel others can assume at least a little protection from a mask.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I will accept this if you accept the inverse is also true, and it may provide some protection. 

I will accept that.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Until we know for sure, I will assume some small protection for myself, and feel others can assume at least a little protection from a mask.

Until it's proven not to cause harm, I will refrain from wearing one when I am not required to.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Do you know what the effects are of rebreathing inside of a humid mask, in the presence (or not) of the virus?

Actually, we DO know that.  Using 100% cotton, or anything similarly absorbant, will actually trap the virus, and since it's not a tight enough weave, you can then inhale it.  This is why they are advising compromised people who are trying to not catch the virus to wear N95 masks, and people (pretty much everyone else) trying to not spread it to wear other masks on the outside chance they are contagious.  

15 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Do you know what the effects are of rebreathing inside of a humid mask, in the presence (or not) of the virus?  Does the mask afford protection then, or make you more susceptible?  I don't think that answer is known yet.  What about people who wear them for days at a time?  What if the virus is on the outside of it and I take it home?

Yes.  You need multiple masks.  Clean them often.  

You can't wear them for long periods of time, from what I understand.  I will wear mine for an hour, while I am around others.  Like, when I go in to process mail.

9 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Until it's proven not to cause harm, I will refrain from wearing one when I am not required to.

My surgical mask don't seem to be causing harm.  If they were, would we really be encouraged to wear them?

I don't have cotton masks, I suppose I should have clarified.

33 minutes ago, Dottles said:

These dumbfucks are going to continue to be irresponsible taking themselves out and unfortunately taking out so many of the innocent.

Here are some more dumbfucks who are spreading it and spreading it and spreading it:

Hasidic Funerals Still Drawing Huge Crowds, As Coronavirus Batters Ultra-Orthodox Neighborhoods

BY JAKE OFFENHARTZ
APRIL 6, 2020 12:19 P.M.
  100 COMMENTS
Hundreds of ultra-Orthodox Jewish men crowd the sidewalks of Williamsburg, Brooklyn for a funeral.
A funeral in Williamsburg on Sunday night. GOTHAMIST

Some of Brooklyn’s ultra-Orthodox leaders are demanding an end to ongoing prayer services, funeral processions, and other illicit gatherings in parts of the community, as COVID-19 continues to rip through the tight-knit religious neighborhoods at disproportionate rates.

Over the weekend, the NYPD broke up multiple Jewish funerals in Williamsburg and Borough Park, where mourners were not observing social distancing guidelines. The Borough Park procession was held for Rabbi Meir Rokeach, who reportedly died of COVID-19 on Saturday at the age of 78.

Helicopters circled overhead during another funeral that continued late into the night on Sunday in Williamsburg, as some participants allegedly refused to disperse. A spokesperson for the NYPD could not immediately say whether any summonses were issued.

Frustrated by what they say is a continued dismissal of the threat of the virus, some members of the community have taken it upon themselves to ensure compliance from their neighbors. On Saturday, Dr. Stuart Ditcheck, a physician at NYU, called the police on the Chabad of Marine Park, one of the few synagogues that’s remained open in that section of Brooklyn.

“They’ve been having minyan every day, 20-30 guys behind the building, facing the yard of a very high risk patient of mine,” Ditchek, who is Hasidic, explained in one of his widely-shared daily Facebook briefings. He urged his followers to call out Rabbi Hendel directly, and to boycott his wife’s playgroup. “Stay away from people like that and make sure we don’t welcome them into our community in the future,” he said.

The aggressive condemnation comes amid growing anxiety in the city’s ultra-Orthodox enclaves, which have been among the hardest hit during the pandemic.

According to data released last week by the city, Borough Park and Midwood have tallied the highest numbers of cases throughout Brooklyn, with 771 and 631 cases respectfully. Both Williamsburg and Crown Heights have especially high rates of infection as well.

According to Rabbi Abe Friedman, a community leader who helped set up testing sites, there have been at least 300 coronavirus deaths over the last ten days in the Orthodox communities of Brooklyn, Rockland County and Orange County. “Every family has been affected by this,” he said.

Despite city orders to shut down religious services, dozens of synagogues and mikvahs — baths used for ritual immersion — have remained open throughout parts of Brooklyn. Some rabbis have restricted entrance to no more than ten people at a time. Hasidic medical professionals say such measures are not sufficient.

“You have ten people now, and then ten people in 30 minutes, and pretty soon you have dozens leaving their germs in their same spot,” a doctor in Midwood, who requested anonymity so as not to incur a backlash from his neighbors, told Gothamist. “That’s not in the spirit of the directive.”

He called on elected officials to be “more forceful” in shutting down the worship spaces, adding that there were “pockets within the community that are still trying to live as if nothing is different.”

The Khal Beis Yakov Burshtin Shul in Borough Park, which was open on Sunday
The Khal Beis Yakov Burshtin Shul in Borough Park, which was open on Sunday SCOTT HEINS/GOTHAMIST

On Monday morning, Mayor Bill de Blasio said that he planned to speak with Jewish leaders about the gatherings, promising the NYPD would be “very aggressive” in their enforcement. He added that it was “not easy for people to give up traditions, especially when they're in mourning."

Some in the community have blamed the current spike in cases on last month’s Purim festivities, a celebration that brought together large groups of people just days before the city and state ordered more substantial restrictions. Hasidic leaders have voiced concerns about additional transmissions during this week’s Passover holiday, a time in which families traditionally travel to elderly relatives’ homes.

A sidewalk in South Williamsburg
A sidewalk in South Williamsburg SCOTT HEINS/GOTHAMIST

In recent days, rabbinical leadership have been holding emergency conference calls discouraging Jewish observers from traveling for seders, according to Rabbi Friedman. The ban, he noted, is made more challenging by the fact that Hasidic adherents cannot use technology during the holiday to communicate with their families.

Still, Rabbi Friedman said he'd been heartened to see a drastic shift in the community in recent weeks, claiming the "vast majority" of Hasidic Brooklyn had given up their closely-held prayers rituals to help stop of the spread of the virus.

“It’s taking a real toll on all of us,” he added. “Because of a few incidents, maybe it seems that the community is not abiding by rules. That’s absolutely wrong.”

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Three comments

thx squarewheels. :) 

All kinds of dumb behavior that can be dangerous.  My neighbor's latest is that "they" are now reporting that it was in the US before it was in China.  And, hmmm.... the epicenters are NYC and Louisiana, if only we could understand why the government targeted those places.

He's assuming the government isn't after him, so it's OK to run to WaWa 20 times a day for coffee.  What else can an old, retired, out of shape smoker with a heart condition do?

33 minutes ago, 12string said:

All kinds of dumb behavior that can be dangerous.  My neighbor's latest is that "they" are now reporting that it was in the US before it was in China.  And, hmmm.... the epicenters are NYC and Louisiana, if only we could understand why the government targeted those places.

He's assuming the government isn't after him, so it's OK to run to WaWa 20 times a day for coffee.  What else can an old, retired, out of shape smoker with a heart condition do?

People are insane.  They totally forget it was blooming here in Washington state.  And it's not hard to figure out why.  We have a good sized Asian population as well as close proximity to China.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Agreed.  I wear my mask or face cover to protect YOU.  I have one that was sewn from a tightly woven material.  All of the N95 that we personally owned from construction have been taken to the Hospital for him to use.  It is that dire, that we have taken these items for him to protect himself from close patient contact.  

This era sucks.  It really does.  It scares me for the health of my husband and everyone else.

Me too.  I don't expect any protection for myself from wearing the mask, but it may minimize the chances of someone else catching it from me.  I doubt if I have it, but I may be asymptomatic or have it in the early stages.  Additionally, if I'm in a store with most, say 100, people wearing masks I think the possibility of my catching it from someone else must be significantly less than if no one is wearing a mask.

This mask, which I got from a doctor's office visit for a sinus problem, doesn't seal perfectly - it doesn't have one of the nose-following, bending metal clips and is a little loose on the sides, but it does catch my exhalations and should catch some bugs which, hopefully, die before I wear it again in a week.  It stays put enough that I don't have to touch it while in the store which would increase my chances of catching COVID-19.

20200406_125400_clar_sat_900p.thumb.jpg.5c0d9402ef5278387119445d564211d2.jpg

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Me too.  I don't expect any protection for myself from wearing the mask, but it may minimize the chances of someone else catching it from me.  I doubt if I have it, but I may be asymptomatic or have it in the early stages.  Additionally, if I'm in a store with most, say 100, people wearing masks I think the possibility of my catching it from someone else must be significantly less than if no one is wearing a mask.

Thank you.  You get it.  

Our N95 masks went to the hospital too.  They were bought from our construction days many years ago.  Sad times.  Really sad times.  

22 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Here are some more dumbfucks who are spreading it and spreading it and spreading it:

Hasidic Funerals Still Drawing Huge Crowds, As Coronavirus Batters Ultra-Orthodox Neighborhoods

BY JAKE OFFENHARTZ
APRIL 6, 2020 12:19 P.M.
  100 COMMENTS

Hundreds of ultra-Orthodox Jewish men crowd the sidewalks of Williamsburg, Brooklyn for a funeral.
A funeral in Williamsburg on Sunday night. GOTHAMIST

Some of Brooklyn’s ultra-Orthodox leaders are demanding an end to ongoing prayer services, funeral processions, and other illicit gatherings in parts of the community, as COVID-19 continues to rip through the tight-knit religious neighborhoods at disproportionate rates.

Over the weekend, the NYPD broke up multiple Jewish funerals in Williamsburg and Borough Park, where mourners were not observing social distancing guidelines. The Borough Park procession was held for Rabbi Meir Rokeach, who reportedly died of COVID-19 on Saturday at the age of 78.

Helicopters circled overhead during another funeral that continued late into the night on Sunday in Williamsburg, as some participants allegedly refused to disperse. A spokesperson for the NYPD could not immediately say whether any summonses were issued.

Frustrated by what they say is a continued dismissal of the threat of the virus, some members of the community have taken it upon themselves to ensure compliance from their neighbors. On Saturday, Dr. Stuart Ditcheck, a physician at NYU, called the police on the Chabad of Marine Park, one of the few synagogues that’s remained open in that section of Brooklyn.

“They’ve been having minyan every day, 20-30 guys behind the building, facing the yard of a very high risk patient of mine,” Ditchek, who is Hasidic, explained in one of his widely-shared daily Facebook briefings. He urged his followers to call out Rabbi Hendel directly, and to boycott his wife’s playgroup. “Stay away from people like that and make sure we don’t welcome them into our community in the future,” he said.

The aggressive condemnation comes amid growing anxiety in the city’s ultra-Orthodox enclaves, which have been among the hardest hit during the pandemic.

According to data released last week by the city, Borough Park and Midwood have tallied the highest numbers of cases throughout Brooklyn, with 771 and 631 cases respectfully. Both Williamsburg and Crown Heights have especially high rates of infection as well.

According to Rabbi Abe Friedman, a community leader who helped set up testing sites, there have been at least 300 coronavirus deaths over the last ten days in the Orthodox communities of Brooklyn, Rockland County and Orange County. “Every family has been affected by this,” he said.

Despite city orders to shut down religious services, dozens of synagogues and mikvahs — baths used for ritual immersion — have remained open throughout parts of Brooklyn. Some rabbis have restricted entrance to no more than ten people at a time. Hasidic medical professionals say such measures are not sufficient.

“You have ten people now, and then ten people in 30 minutes, and pretty soon you have dozens leaving their germs in their same spot,” a doctor in Midwood, who requested anonymity so as not to incur a backlash from his neighbors, told Gothamist. “That’s not in the spirit of the directive.”

He called on elected officials to be “more forceful” in shutting down the worship spaces, adding that there were “pockets within the community that are still trying to live as if nothing is different.”

The Khal Beis Yakov Burshtin Shul in Borough Park, which was open on Sunday
The Khal Beis Yakov Burshtin Shul in Borough Park, which was open on Sunday SCOTT HEINS/GOTHAMIST

On Monday morning, Mayor Bill de Blasio said that he planned to speak with Jewish leaders about the gatherings, promising the NYPD would be “very aggressive” in their enforcement. He added that it was “not easy for people to give up traditions, especially when they're in mourning."

Some in the community have blamed the current spike in cases on last month’s Purim festivities, a celebration that brought together large groups of people just days before the city and state ordered more substantial restrictions. Hasidic leaders have voiced concerns about additional transmissions during this week’s Passover holiday, a time in which families traditionally travel to elderly relatives’ homes.

A sidewalk in South Williamsburg
A sidewalk in South Williamsburg SCOTT HEINS/GOTHAMIST

In recent days, rabbinical leadership have been holding emergency conference calls discouraging Jewish observers from traveling for seders, according to Rabbi Friedman. The ban, he noted, is made more challenging by the fact that Hasidic adherents cannot use technology during the holiday to communicate with their families.

Still, Rabbi Friedman said he'd been heartened to see a drastic shift in the community in recent weeks, claiming the "vast majority" of Hasidic Brooklyn had given up their closely-held prayers rituals to help stop of the spread of the virus.

“It’s taking a real toll on all of us,” he added. “Because of a few incidents, maybe it seems that the community is not abiding by rules. That’s absolutely wrong.”

Oy vey!

• Haha 2

This thread reminds me, I need to go out and run a couple errands and pick up a couple things without a mask on.

Please excuse all the coughing and hacking, it's allergy season.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

This thread reminds me, I need to go out and run a couple errands and pick up a couple things without a mask on.Please excuse all the coughing and hacking, it's allergy season.

Surgical Masks (Face Masks)

A surgical mask is a loose-fitting, disposable device that creates a physical barrier between the mouth and nose of the wearer and potential contaminants in the immediate environment. 

Surgical masks are made in different thicknesses and with different ability to protect you from contact with liquids. These properties may also affect how easily you can breathe through the face mask and how well the surgical mask protects you.

If worn properly, a surgical mask is meant to help block large-particle droplets, splashes, sprays, or splatter that may contain germs (viruses and bacteria), keeping it from reaching your mouth and nose. Surgical masks may also help reduce exposure of your saliva and respiratory secretions to others.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Oy vey!

I just can't imagine the level of dumbfuckery these people are stomping about in.  Yes, that is right, go to the funeral and procession and service and afterparty of the person that died from the virus with the very people that gave the dead guy the virus.  Goooooooood idea, guys, real smart.  While you are at it, just go ahead and spread it around to the folks around your neighborhood, too.  :angry:

No way this is ever gonna spur other dumbfucks on to some good old-fashioned anti-semitism, either.  No sir, just not possible.