It just occurred to me...

Wilbur

Just now, Wilbur said:

That oxygen deprivation is the only cause of death.  

Eh, I'ma a guessing you're thinking that O2 deprivation (no matter the cause) leads to brain death. What about a .50 cal to the noggin, there wouldn't be enough left to notice it was short of O2 ? Or, 10,000 vold applied across the ears?

4 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Eh, I'ma a guessing you're thinking that O2 deprivation (no matter the cause) leads to brain death. What about a .50 cal to the noggin, there wouldn't be enough left to notice it was short of O2 ? Or, 10,000 vold applied across the ears?

Heart has to stop for some reason to be declared dead.  Blowing the head off would bleed out and cause lack of oxygen to the heart, hence stopping it.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Heart has to stop for some reason to be declared dead.  Blowing the head off would bleed out and cause lack of oxygen to the heart, hence stopping it.

This is what I mean..  If you run any scenario, you come to the same conclusion.  :) 

• Heart 1

Okay..., I'll play.  What about Hyperoxia, or CNS Oxygen toxicity where the CNS is damaged and cells die because of too much oxygen at increased partial pressure?

I read an interesting tweet over the weekend, that technically over the span of your whole life you only have a few minutes left to live, but every time you inhale it resets the clock  :blink:

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

True.  People worry about high blood pressure when it's really excessively low blood pressure that kills.  :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Okay..., I'll play.  What about Hyperoxia, or CNS Oxygen toxicity where the CNS is damaged and cells die because of too much oxygen at increased partial pressure?

I read an interesting tweet over the weekend, that technically over the span of your whole life you only have a few minutes left to live, but every time you inhale it resets the clock  :blink:

As it applies to you, this will happen when diving and will most probably cause a grand-man seizure.   The seizure will cause you to convulse and drown.  Your respiratory system won't function properly and your heart and brain will die of oxygen deprivation.  

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

As it applies to you, this will happen when diving and will most probably cause a grand-man seizure.   The seizure will cause you to convulse and drown.  Your respiratory system won't function properly and your heart and brain will die of oxygen deprivation.  

Aren't you a cheery fellow?

45 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Nah, total brain death is an acceptable criteria for death even with continued oxygenated blood flow. It’s the reason the ventilator is disconnected.

Not in Canada.  Pronouncement of death comes with cessation of breath and blood circulation.  Brain death is just a body being kept alive artificially. 

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Nah, total brain death is an acceptable criteria for death even with continued oxygenated blood flow. It’s the reason the ventilator is disconnected.

Very true.  One can be declared brain dead, hence giving them a "legal" time of death. But the heart will go on.  

5 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Interesting.  

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Over the course of my life I have tested that theory with free dives. One of my favorites was a bet with the floor of a spring 38 ft below (with extended caves that divers explored. After an initial short dive to make sure no cross current, went for it grabbing a handful of sand to prove made it. On assent, looked around and there were returning divers using buddy system as one ran out of air. I sheepishly waved to them - and took a huge breath when I hit the surface...but I won the bet.

• Heart 2