Aunt Sally has COVID-19

MickinMD

Recently, I posted a couple pictures of my Aunt Sally - a HUGE 100th birthday party at a large hall is scheduled for August near Morristown, NJ.

She exhibited symptoms consistent with coronavirus a few days ago and a couple of her fellow nursing home patients previously tested positive.  Her test results came back this morning: positive for COVID-19.

She told her daughter she was feeling ok this AM.  Shortly after, she fell getting from her bed to her wheelchair by herself and badly hit her head.  She's now in the hospital because of that. As her daughter, my cousin emailed to me, "When it rains it pours."

We're all praying/sending vibes, which is all we can do.  She's a tough old Polack - pulling through has been done by at least one person over 100 and the hospitalization for hitting her head appears to be a precaution.

Here is the lo-res screen cap I previously posted of Aunt Sally looking at shoes on the Champs Elysees in Paris in 1998 despite the fact we were running out of time for sightseeing:

vlcsnap-2020-03-31-11h07m21s607.jpg.06a1fcb63ef9f7e7225422b1e2b4a365.jpg

Here she is March 17, 2020:

Image6.jpg.ff9013088d8dbda574b7c962a2b9c41e.jpg

Here are four of the five Gryskiewicz sisters in 1939. The family's two hotties are my future Aunt Sally (age 19) next to the right and my future mother, Helen (age 15), on the right.  All the sisters and their four brothers were close throughout their lives, but Sally and Helen were extremely close.  Sally's the last one still alive.

574549721_MarthaMarySallyHelencloseup900p.jpg.6b7647950a037869e2589d0a078850d7.jpg

• Sad 10

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

Hoping for a full recovery.  I wonder if the fall was related to a sense of fatigue or weakness from the virus?

Quite possibly.  She's only had physical limitations due to age for the past several years - she had her own apartment until her early 90's, did her own shopping, carried it home, etc.

So, she's used to being independent and gets upset when you try to help her move and I wonder if she didn't want to believe she needed help now.

• Hugs 1

35 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Hoping for a full recovery.  I wonder if the fall was related to a sense of fatigue or weakness from the virus?

An infection in the elderly (almost any infection) can weaken the legs.  There is an interesting occurrence that causes micro muscles to help support the blood flow in the legs and that tires the legs.  Effectively, they get tired with our 'apparently' doing any work 

• Heart 1