Late Season Rain

ChrisL

SoCal is getting a really late winter storm.  Started raining yesterday morning and is supposed to rain through Thursday.  We have flash flood warnings now.  

We had several early storms then a dry Dec-March and now a wet April.  This storm should get us over our annual average so back to back years with above average rainfall, a rare event these days.  It might stave off drought restrictions for a few years.

18 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Duh, just call it an early spring storm.

37 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So late, it is now EARLY Spring rain! Who da thunk it?

Hmm I see a trend!  

I don’t know why but we call storms that set up in the Gulf of Alaska & then swing down a “Winter” storm.  It doesn’t seem to matter if it’s Autumn or Spring when it hits, it’s a winter storm?  I guess it’s describing the type of weather pattern... I do see the confusion but that’s what our weatherheads call it...

Several records were broken for rainfall yesterday and it rained most of the night with more rain on tap for today.  A soggy start to spring in SoCal.

We had virtually no snow this year, so Central Maryland has 9" instead of the 10" avg. precipitation total through March despite a lot of rain in March.

We haven't yet has a few days in a row of constant April rain and we didn't get our usual dusting of snow the first week of April, so it will be interesting to see how much the reservoir and ground-watch levels are this year.  In drought years we get banned or odd/even days (depending on your house's address) uses of outdoor water hoses, but that's about it.

52 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

We had virtually no snow this year, so Central Maryland has 9" instead of the 10" avg. precipitation total through March despite a lot of rain in March.

We haven't yet has a few days in a row of constant April rain and we didn't get our usual dusting of snow the first week of April, so it will be interesting to see how much the reservoir and ground-watch levels are this year.  In drought years we get banned or odd/even days (depending on your house's address) uses of outdoor water hoses, but that's about it.

There is a local reservoir that I MTB by often.  Before last year it had been bone dry, the only time in 30 years I have seen it dry.  Last year it filled back up about 85%.  A couple of weeks ago the water level was really close to the spillway, probably 95% of captivity.  I’m gonna guess it spilled over yesterday.  

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

So some cute chick with a GED reads a teleprompter and we are supposed to believe her?

Yep.  I always find it funny when I travel to other cities and watch the local news.

LA news casters generally cut their teeth in smaller markets.  The ones we have on the air here are good looking and accomplished.   Then I go to Montana and the frumpy stammering girl is doing weather!  

• Confused 1

Could be they are calling it a winter storm, as it was snowing in the mountains.  Ask the truckers!!

We have quiet a mixtures here, from older men to younger women.  Ed McIntosh is a weather man, and the disk jockey for Classic Country on Sunday mornings on KGHL. As mentioned before, I just read the forecast and current weather on the NOAA site. That way, I can filter out the BS.

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m trying to figure out if you’re a terrible photographer, cutting off her head and getting 6” of bare wall, or a terrific photographer centering on what you find the most important aspects of the photograph. :scratchhead:

This TV is across the room from my desk  and when I looked up and saw the term being used i didn’t have much time to grab the shot. I actually did try to retake it not cutting off her head but they cut away for traffic.

4 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Could be they are calling it a winter storm, as it was snowing in the mountains.  Ask the truckers!!

We have quiet a mixtures here, from older men to younger women.  Ed McIntosh is a weather man, and the disk jockey for Classic Country on Sunday mornings on KGHL. As mentioned before, I just read the forecast and current weather on the NOAA site. That way, I can filter out the BS.

It seems the type of storm that hit us is type of storms that hit during the winter thus the term they used.