All shopping at one store if possible - is that sensible?

MickinMD

I elected to pick up a prescription this morning because I also wanted to check out over-the-counter sinus stuff.

I spoke to my sister the nurse about plans to pick up food in a few different stores.

"Don't increase the risk - do it all in one food store."

"But there are things either much cheaper or unique in each store."

"Then do without and it's not like you can't afford to spend a little extra. Shop in ONE place."

So I did even though I wasn't sure that made sense - my sister also recommended not shopping unless I had to and I asked what would be wiser: shopping today with 343 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the county, or in two weeks when 1000 is more likely?  She wasn't sure.

But thinking about it in terms of the area covered and the number of people contacted, there were surely less even though I spent at least 4 times as many minutes in the store I shopped in.  I was able to skip Walmart which is bigger and more crowded even though it's now limiting how many can be inside.

So I think that was good advice from my sister.

I spent $134, about $25 more than at multiple stores, and I had to substitute a little not-quite-as-good stuff, but I got a cart-full of good stuff!

20200406_124740_clar_sat_900p.jpg.f12b3a20397b6c4f97b15cf7258ddc67.jpg

I wore the mask I got from by visit to the doctor last week, so no one got to see my clean-shaven face!

20200406_125400_clar_sat_900p.thumb.jpg.a52c33c8d3a92f7dba02fcfff0bba7fc.jpg

I try to do one store a week, but alternate.  I also keep away from big box and major stores, preferring small venues.

Last week went to Aldi. This week because I need onions and other produce can pick singular rather than bags, will probably go to the Navy Commissary (it is small since no longer have military base local.) although Sprouts has better produce than most stores. Avoiding Publix, Winn Dixie, and obviously Target and WalMart.

343 today, 1,000 cases two weeks from now. Incubation period is 14 days. What are the odds that you will cross paths with an asymptomatic carrier today. Pretty good odds. I’d stay home for all but real essential stuff. And I also wouldn’t mind paying extra to get home with without the Covid cooties. Do you ever think that your quest to save $0.02 is OCD related? Ask your sister; I think she’d agree with me.

• Awesome 2

When this first started, I was more willing to go to different stores looking for what I wanted, but in recent weeks, I've only gone out when needed and tried to limit the number of stops.  That's how I know how much grocery shopping can be done at the gas station.  :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

That's how I know how much grocery shopping can be done at the gas station.  :nodhead:

Had a friend that went to WalMart Senior Hour (at O dark 30). Line out the door with parking lot suggesting the store was full of people. He went to the WaWa next door, got everything he needed plus a cup of coffee that the staff in mask and gloves prepared, eliminating self service.

• Awesome 1

6 hours ago, MickinMD said:

"Then do without and it's not like you can't afford to spend a little extra. Shop in ONE place."

That’s what I do. My LGS is the closest so I go there so I don’t have to be gone long. I like it best anyway. I’m going to call in my order this week and they will do the shopping and deliver it to my door. That’s a new service they have for old people and people with compromised immune systems.

• Heart 2

I normally go to 1, and 2 at the most.  Essentially never go to Walmart, except to buy dog food and some electronics.  I see no need to visit multiple places in times like these. Seems like one would want to minimize their exposure to others in times like these. Seems like some of you have to go to multiple places just to meet your needs.

I no longer go to the big LGS in town because that's were everybody else is going.  Unfortunately, my pharmacy is inside the store and I must make a trip there this week.  It's my intent to go in the door next to the pharmacy, shop for nothing, touch nothing and get out as quickly as possible returning directly to home for a whole body hospital clean shower.  There are things I would like to pick up as supplements to the standard once a week grocery run at a small market, but they are not essential and I will not get them.  This whole pandemic thing seems to be a matter of playing the odds and minimizing one's chances of exposure.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I no longer go to the big LGS in town because that's were everybody else is going.  Unfortunately, my pharmacy is inside the store and I must make a trip there this week.  It's my intent to go in the door next to the pharmacy, shop for nothing, touch nothing and get out as quickly as possible returning directly to home for a whole body hospital clean shower.  There are things I would like to pick up as supplements to the standard once a week grocery run at a small market, but they are not essential and I will not get them.  This whole pandemic thing seems to be a matter of playing the odds and minimizing one's chances of exposure.

My prescription pickup at the cvs drive through last night was all through the bank door. They always used to open the window but not now. Made sense. 

58 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

My prescription pickup at the cvs drive through last night was all through the bank door. They always used to open the window but not now. Made sense. 

My bank has their doors locked and all business is done at the drive through.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

This was the first store day in a week.  The previous Monday, I hit Costco, Walmart, and Aldi.

And now, for your sake, I'm hoping you won't be headed to a store for at least TWO weeks.

Mick, you're square in the "bad" zone for this virus.  If you catch it, you have crummy odds of simply riding it out at home.  Stop putting yourself at risk.