Sooooo, WTF are we out of toilet paper?

2Far

Hoarders.  Plain and simple.  No thought to the process.

Seems with all the restaurants and things shut down, that maybe there is a bunch tied up in the commercial supply chain distribution system and they cannot figure out how to get it back out and into retail?

People have changed buying patterns and no longer shop for a few days for a few weeks or a few months

• Heart 1

Everything you wanted to know about the logistics of manufacturing toilet paper but were afraid to ask.

Tl;dr version:  The raw materials for making toilet paper come from China and they were shut down for a couple weeks. 

Also, there are two types of toilet paper; the consumer type brands you enjoy at home and the commercial brands that scratch you bunghole at work.  Normally we use 60% consumer TP and 40% commercial.  With so many people not working or working from home, there is a bigger demand for consumer TP.  Consumer TP production was already close to maxed out before the virus and it isn't easy to retool a TP factory from commercial to consumer TP so they can't just increase production.

16 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I have a 12 pack in my car trunk that I'm not telling any one about.

I've been buying 30-packs at Costco since the 1990's when it was called Price Club.  The same with 12-packs of paper towels.

I did the same with both when they got a shipment in a couple weeks ago, so I'm good for the duration.