Whatcha paying for gasoline?

2Far

While it is 7:30 AM as I write this, find it interesting the time since last report is 16 or more hours. Costco was the least expensive in the area at $1.69, most others a dime or so higher. However, demand so low that as I scrolled down, about 1/4 were “report price” as the prior report was too dated. Haven’t seen that before.

79C03BCB-D223-497B-8B06-6C0B59B990A9.jpeg

This is where Costco (and Sams) really stand out. Both of my cars 'recommend' 91 octane minimum. With Costco, the choice is 87 and 93 octane. Checking premium, virtually every other station was 2.34 to 2.49 compared to 2.09 and that 25 to 40 cent spread in normal. Searching midgrade, 91 octane, the stations were still higher, typically 2.15 to 2.25 on a grade Costco doesn't even carry. Plus, getting 5% back doesn't hurt either.

While I don't use it much today, GasBuddy is a sweet app. Really great with diesel when had the VW as that price spread was absurd, and when traveling, could tell how much at the next exit or two and which station to head to and which stations to drive past.

image0.jpeg

With gas prices so cheap I thought about driving to Georgia to visit my son. But with everything shutdown the only thing that I would be able to do when I get there is work on his motorcycles and drink his beer. 

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

With gas prices so cheap I thought about driving to Georgia to visit my son. But with everything shutdown the only thing that I would be able to do when I get there is work on his motorcycles and drink his beer. 

And if the cops stop you and ask why you are driving you can tell them you are going to get beer. Beer was determined to be essential.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

And if the cops stop you and ask why you are driving you can tell them you are going to get beer. Beer was determined to be essential.

And one State floated the idea of closing all liquor stores and sales at other stores, such as grocery. That was until medical personnel pounded sense into them as all the closet alcoholics would suddenly fill ER beds as they arrived in withdrawal.

• Heart 2

40 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

While it is 7:30 AM as I write this, find it interesting the time since last report is 16 or more hours. Costco was the least expensive in the area at $1.69, most others a dime or so higher. However, demand so low that as I scrolled down, about 1/4 were “report price” as the prior report was too dated. Haven’t seen that before.

79C03BCB-D223-497B-8B06-6C0B59B990A9.jpeg

I found that you guys always paid more for gas than we did, I attributed it to your lack of state income tax.

For some reason, Alabama was always lower than us, dunno the reasoning there. (unless they make a lot of $$ running the ABC stores)

12 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I wish I could buy gas now and store it

When gas was .99 cents I filled every car, motorcycle, snowmobile, gas cans and stabiled most of it. Each snowmobile alone holds over 12 gallons. I have a neaty cool 12 volt powered siphon pump. We wont need to buy gas for most of the summer. :)

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I wish I could buy gas now and store it

When I was young my parents had a 250 gallon tank in the ground under the driveway (paved) and a hand crank pump.  I don't think the EPA will let you do that any more.  Certainly you would have to dig it up to sell the house.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

When I was young my parents had a 250 gallon tank in the ground under the driveway (paved) and a hand crank pump.  I don't think the EPA will let you do that any more.  Certainly you would have to dig it up to sell the house.

Whoa!  I can't believe they ever let you do that!  Lots of my buddies have diesel tanks at their houses for tractors, trucks, etc.  They buy in bulk when prices are low.

A friend of mine had a 1,500 gallon tank buried at his house for fuel oil. When the price of fuel kept going up and up he got scared that the price wouldn’t stop increasing. He filled his tank at over $4.00 a gallon. He actually hit the peak, the price started going down a week later. He said that was one of the stupidest moves he has ever made.

Back in the 30s and 40s, and before they started regulating this stuff, some of the nearby lakefront mansions had huge underground fuel tanks installed to fuel their motor yachts. Back about 7-8 years ago, during a super wet summer and after a 6 inch rain, the lake and ground water raised so high, that it pushed these old fuel tanks that weren't rusted though up out of the ground. Stuff they used to do back in the day? :dontknow:

There's a story about a yacht that got destroyed by fire. With no regulations for stuff like this, they just towed it out in the middle of the lake and sank it. But somehow it kept resurfacing. :runcirclsmiley:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Whoa!  I can't believe they ever let you do that!  Lots of my buddies have diesel tanks at their houses for tractors, trucks, etc.  They buy in bulk when prices are low.

OSHA didn't even require roll bars on lawn mowers back in the 50's  :ph34r:  Dangerous times.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

If I take my motorhome......I'm always home and I only have to stop for gas. I will have all my own food, kitchen and bathroom.

Nonstop to Newnan. 

• Awesome 1