Psychics

MickinMD

Bored at 9-10 am after watching an hour of coronavirus and celebrity news, I just watched an episode of Maury where several "psychics" gave at-home "readings" to people with missing loved ones.

As a scientist, I can't prove that any psychics are real or not real, but it's interesting to follow the line of questioning of what appear to be frauds on Maury.

For example, it's early January and the psychic tells the grieving mother her son "misses a Christmas tree. Did you just take down a Christmas tree?"

DUH!  It's January!

Another "psychic" asks another grieving mother, "Did you have a dream about him? He says he's been in your bedroom."  But this one backfires: "No, I can't remember any dream," so the psychic switches tactics, "Did you feel like he was with you at any time?  That was him!  He says he was there!"  The mother begins sobbing.

There are NO questions asked and no observations about things not likely to have occurred. I wanted to hear something like, "He says he had an envelope with $135 in it under the top right drawer of his dresser."

If these deceased people are talking to the psychics in so much detail as claimed, why don't they know what happened to them, where they are buried, skeletons in the closet, etc. etc.?

• Haha 2

I will admit, and I've mentioned it before here, that my father's brother married the daughter of a psychic, Mrs. Amelia Davis of Altoona, PA, who read coffee grounds for Eleanor Roosevelt and made various specific claims that proved to be true.  I knew her well and she seemed to be a typical, well-adjusted grandma-type.  But she scared the shit out of me with her stories - some that occurred a night that I "slept" in the room her father had died in!

The one I personally knew of before the truth was revealed began in January, 1944.  My father, Louis, was known to be fighting as a member of Darby's Rangers in Italy.  Amelia called my father's mother and asked, "What happened to Lou?"

When told nothing had been heard, Amelia said, "Something serious has happened and it involves a dead woman!"

It turned out that, at that moment, my father was still behind enemy lines, being treated for a wound that would cost him half his left hand including middle, ring, and pinky fingers.  As the years went by, I grew up into my teens knowing that story but that Amelia got the "dead woman" part wrong.

Then, there was a Ranger convention in Baltimore in 1964.  My father told his first squad leader, James Altieri who spoke Italian, about Amelia's warning and getting "dead woman" wrong.

Altieri gasped, "Lou, don't you know the name of that little village where you were hit?  Femina Morte: Dead Woman!"

That's all I've got.  There were other things - like Amelia telling her granddaughter, my cousin Linda, that she'd have two kids and she'd be married twice - the 2nd time for love and that came true.  But that's "hearsay" to me.  I can remember when we thought Amelia was wrong about a "dead woman."

I probably shared this story before but when I wasn’t the Army I helped this civilian who’s car broke down just outside of our base.  As we were waiting for a tow truck & her husband she said she was a witch and could read the palms & the future.  I called BS but she said some things that held true.

She said I had recently lost a parent, then clarified it was my dad, then said H name... Hendrik... She said I’d have 2 loves, true.  I would start down one career path, have a change in career choices early on & have a long & successful career. Nailed it.  

She did whiff on the number of kids, 3 instead of 2.  She also gave me her number & tried to set me up with her 16 yo daughter!?!?  She showed me a picture and she was cute but still...

• Haha 1

I have returned to places a number of times where bodies were never located and the families hired psychics to try to locate them.  We go to make the family feel better rather than tell them they just threw money away.  They have never been right.  Not once.

Lsst time was a missing woman went over a falls in a river.  After searching the high probability areas, we told them the search needs to focus farther downstream.  The family hired a psychic who said she had gotten out and climbed up the nearby mountain to get cell reception to call for help.  Some searchers were tasked with going up the hill..., which delayed finding her (downstream) by several days

• Sad 1

Whelp, never been to one, no psychics, palm readers fortune tellers, etc.

I was tempted in the '80s. I had lost my wedding ring somewhere in the house and there was a psychic on a route I traveled about once per month. She'd been there a long time (according to other folks who had traveled that route for years) and I believe she's still there. Longevity doesn't equate to accuracy, but I digress. I thought about tearing a $50 in half and a promise to give her the other half if she was right. I never did it, I never found the ring, which she probably would have predicted.

44 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I will admit, and I've mentioned it before here, that my father's brother married the daughter of a psychic, Mrs. Amelia Davis of Altoona, PA, who read coffee grounds for Eleanor Roosevelt and made various specific claims that proved to be true.  I knew her well and she seemed to be a typical, well-adjusted grandma-type.  But she scared the shit out of me with her stories - some that occurred a night that I "slept" in the room her father had died in!

The one I personally knew of before the truth was revealed began in January, 1944.  My father, Louis, was known to be fighting as a member of Darby's Rangers in Italy.  Amelia called my father's mother and asked, "What happened to Lou?"

When told nothing had been heard, Amelia said, "Something serious has happened and it involves a dead woman!"

It turned out that, at that moment, my father was still behind enemy lines, being treated for a wound that would cost him half his left hand including middle, ring, and pinky fingers.  As the years went by, I grew up into my teens knowing that story but that Amelia got the "dead woman" part wrong.

Then, there was a Ranger convention in Baltimore in 1964.  My father told his first squad leader, James Altieri who spoke Italian, about Amelia's warning and getting "dead woman" wrong.

Altieri gasped, "Lou, don't you know the name of that little village where you were hit?  Femina Morte: Dead Woman!"

That's all I've got.  There were other things - like Amelia telling her granddaughter, my cousin Linda, that she'd have two kids and she'd be married twice - the 2nd time for love and that came true.  But that's "hearsay" to me.  I can remember when we thought Amelia was wrong about a "dead woman."

Well that is a little freaky.