I Gotta Think

Razors Edge

...that the material in a Filtrete home air filter would be a pretty good option for homemade masks.  One filter has a square yard or so of material to work with.  And folks may have a spare sitting in their HVAC room waiting for the next change of season.  Similar to vacuum filters that some have, but seemingly better bang-for-buck for larger scale home mask production?

image.png.5df7040bbca57406269d931f4186c100.png

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/878231P/filtreter-1500-healthy-living-air-filter.jpg

Don't be ridiculous.

"In 1995 the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health issued new regulations for nonpowered particulate respirators (42 CFR Part 84). A new filter certification system also was created. Among the new particulate respirators that have entered the market, the N95 respirator is the most commonly used in industrial and health care environments. The filtration efficiencies of unloaded N95 particulate respirators have been compared with those of dust/mist (DM) and dust/fume/mist (DFM) respirators certified under the former regulations (30 CFR Part 11). Through laboratory tests with NaCl certification aerosols and measurements with particle-size spectrometers, N95 respirators were found to have higher filtration efficiencies than DM and DFM respirators and noncertified surgical masks. N95 respirators made by different companies were found to have different filtration efficiencies for the most penetrating particle size (0.1 to 0.3 micron), but all were at least 95% efficient at that size for NaCl particles. Above the most penetrating particle size the filtration efficiency increases with size; it reaches approximately 99.5% or higher at about 0.75 micron. Tests with bacteria of size and shape similar to Mycobacterium tuberculosis also showed filtration efficiencies of 99.5% or higher. Experimental data were used to calculate the aerosol mass concentrations inside the respirator when worn in representative work environments. The penetrated mass fractions, in the absence of face leakage, ranged from 0.02% for large particle distributions to 1.8% for submicrometer-size welding fumes. Thus, N95 respirators provide excellent protection against airborne particles when there is a good face seal."

13 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Don't be ridiculous.

"In 1995 the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health issued new regulations for nonpowered particulate respirators (42 CFR Part 84). A new filter certification system also was created. Among the new particulate respirators that have entered the market, the N95 respirator is the most commonly used in industrial and health care environments. The filtration efficiencies of unloaded N95 particulate respirators have been compared with those of dust/mist (DM) and dust/fume/mist (DFM) respirators certified under the former regulations (30 CFR Part 11). Through laboratory tests with NaCl certification aerosols and measurements with particle-size spectrometers, N95 respirators were found to have higher filtration efficiencies than DM and DFM respirators and noncertified surgical masks. N95 respirators made by different companies were found to have different filtration efficiencies for the most penetrating particle size (0.1 to 0.3 micron), but all were at least 95% efficient at that size for NaCl particles. Above the most penetrating particle size the filtration efficiency increases with size; it reaches approximately 99.5% or higher at about 0.75 micron. Tests with bacteria of size and shape similar to Mycobacterium tuberculosis also showed filtration efficiencies of 99.5% or higher. Experimental data were used to calculate the aerosol mass concentrations inside the respirator when worn in representative work environments. The penetrated mass fractions, in the absence of face leakage, ranged from 0.02% for large particle distributions to 1.8% for submicrometer-size welding fumes. Thus, N95 respirators provide excellent protection against airborne particles when there is a good face seal."

I don't have the tools to build N95 respirators!!!! I'm talking masks, man!  Simple and do a better job than no mask!  Keep striving towards better, not waiting for perfect to strike!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

When do you start?

Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

People are using furnace filters but they will probably end up in emergency for stitches from the wire mesh.  That stuff is horrible.   I will stick to Hepa vacuum bags.  Much easier to work with. 

Not many folks have the vacuum bags laying around?  We don't have any bags for our vacuums :(

I haven't looked at my house filters, but if I remember (but haven't dissected one) the wires are just on the surface and not in the fabric?

My guess is that a mask made from a filtrete filter is better than one made from cloth that many experts are recommending as a minimum.

I'm taking care of the mask given to me at my doctor's office, only wearing it in stores - not for hour-long dog walks where heavier breathing would result in touching the mask too often. One site says for runners in same environment, "If you're running in an area where you're unlikely to meet another person, wearing a mask may be unnecessary." I don't expect to come within 10-20 feet of anyone.  I may not have another medical visit to get another one until July for a blood test.

20200406_125400_clar_sat_900p.thumb.jpg.808ff197573677585d8aa43064f961bf.jpg

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I Gotta Think

Yay!  When do you start?  :) 

People are using furnace filters but they will probably end up in emergency for stitches from the wire mesh.  That stuff is horrible.   I will stick to Hepa vacuum bags.  Much easier to work with. 

I have also heard that coffee filters are a good choice.  Make a little pouch in the mask and Velcro the top or put on a  snap if you are old school.  Then insert coffee filter and throw away later-- using a gloved hand of course

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

We bought a couple of these for cycling.  I am thinking they are going to be very handy now.

Can not believe this is our reality. Between the seasonal smoke pollution and the pandemic.  

https://theurbanxmask.com/products/urbanxmask?variant=32810170613900

<curse word>

How do you clean them? 

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

They come with three filters.  Each filter lasts 8 weeks, supposedly.  

Weekly cleaning is recommended.  It makes me sad to just to have bought these.

I often see folks out exercising in pollen season with similar masks.  I would say, the cleaning regimen for pollen is NOTHING like the one for COVID-19.  You know that, so be careful.

image.thumb.png.79fd896852fece4c26f4e8e6dbfaab2a.png

56 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I now only accept Covid advice from @Couch_Incident.  :)

1.  Stay inside.

2.  Wash your hands.

3.  Where a mask while outside.  Make one if you have to, it may help protect others from you.

4.  Social distance.  Unfortunately people around Rochester aren't doing that, especially my neighbors downstairs.  They will probably be the vector for Pat and me. 

5.  This is not the mother fucking flu. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I often see folks out exercising in pollen season with similar masks.  I would say, the cleaning regimen for pollen is NOTHING like the one for COVID-19.  You know that, so be careful.

This is pretty much what the physician that did Mr. Aire's procedure was wearing two weeks ago. Very sad

3 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

1.  Stay inside.

2.  Wash your hands.

3.  Where a mask while outside.  Make one if you have to, it may help protect others from you.

4.  Social distance.  Unfortunately people around Rochester aren't doing that, especially my neighbors downstairs.  They will probably be the vector for Pat and me. 

Don't go to Wegmans.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We bought a couple of these for cycling.  I am thinking they are going to be very handy now.

Can not believe this is our reality. Between the seasonal smoke pollution and the pandemic.  

https://theurbanxmask.com/products/urbanxmask?variant=32810170613900

<curse word>

Chit!  I have one of those...somewhere.  Forgot all about that. 

14 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

Unfortunately, people won't stop doing that.  Especially Tude.  :(  And I've stocked up on enough food to last us a very very long time.

My oldest son went to U of R and on trips up there I became familiar with the Wegmans that was near a large mall the name of which I now don't remember.  It was a fascinating place but not the sort of store I'd be going to while the virus is in season.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

My oldest son went to U of R and on trips up there I became familiar with the Wegmans that was near a large mall the name of which I now don't remember.  It was a fascinating place but not the sort of store I'd be going to while the virus is in season.

Yea, I just talked Tude into doing curb side.  We will hopefully pick it up tomorrow before I start my shift.

37 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

No it is not, more contagious and faster spreading, slightly lower survival rate.

Blah, blah, blah.

56 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I really bought them for fire season.  I will be careful.  I promise.