Yeah, our doctors will be rocking style..

Wilbur

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Who?

Doctor of Medicine (abbreviated M.D., from the Latin Medicinae Doctor) is a medical degree, the meaning of which varies between different jurisdictions. In Canada and most other countries, the M.D. denotes an undergraduate degree awarded upon graduation from medical school. In the United States, and some other countries, the M.D. denotes a professional graduate degree. In the United States, this generally arose because many in 18th-century medical professions trained in Scotland, which used the M.D. degree nomenclature. In England, however, Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery was used and eventually in the 19th century became the standard in Scotland too. Thus, in the United Kingdom, Ireland and other countries, the M.D. is a research doctorate, higher doctorate, honorary doctorate or applied clinical degree restricted to those who already hold a professional degree in medicine; in those countries, the equivalent professional to the North American and some others use of M.D. is still typically titled Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.).

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have never heard of Canada Goose.  I do have a few items of Arcteryx, it is pretty nice stuff, or at least it was (I haven't bought any new since RO's arrival).

What kind of a rock have you been living under?

Who?

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Doctor of Medicine (abbreviated M.D., from the Latin Medicinae Doctor) is a medical degree, the meaning of which varies between different jurisdictions. In Canada and most other countries, the M.D. denotes an undergraduate degree awarded upon graduation from medical school. In the United States, and some other countries, the M.D. denotes a professional graduate degree. In the United States, this generally arose because many in 18th-century medical professions trained in Scotland, which used the M.D. degree nomenclature. In England, however, Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery was used and eventually in the 19th century became the standard in Scotland too. Thus, in the United Kingdom, Ireland and other countries, the M.D. is a research doctorate, higher doctorate, honorary doctorate or applied clinical degree restricted to those who already hold a professional degree in medicine; in those countries, the equivalent professional to the North American and some others use of M.D. is still typically titled Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.).

Are you filling in for Mick?

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

What kind of a rock have you been living under?

Who?

I can't walk 10' in the winter without tripping over some millenial in a Canada Goose black winter coat.  They're everywhere.

We have an Arcteryx store a few blocks from the office that I sometimes walk by and glance at the stuff in the windows.  Nothing I need - especially considering the winters we get here, but I'm sure I could find a bunch of stuff to buy if I actually went into the store.  I know REI carries their stuff.

23 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Don't argue with the Canadians.  Just say "You're right" and move along.

It is ok.  RG is a friend and I understand how his mind works.  Thus, I have included the logo, jackets and SOHO location and what he understands best... BOOBS!!  :) ^^^^^

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Wilbur said:

It is ok.  RG is a friend and I understand how his mind works.  Thus, I have included the logo, jackets and SOHO location and what he understands best... BOOBS!!  :) ^^^^^

I don't see a logo on JV's wife's jacket.

• Heart 1

51 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Never seen it, that must be all photoshopped.

I never really spend much time on Wooster, I will have to check it out and buy things make from goose beaks and goose feet.

32 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Never seen it, that must be all photoshopped.

I never really spend much time on Wooster, I will have to check it out and buy things make from goose beaks and goose feet.

There is no goose in them.  It is duck down..and seeks..and feet. 

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

To be able to enter and be accepted into the MD programs at accredited public Canadian universities (private universities don't count. They really don't count in terms of credentials and recognition by employers in regulated/legislated professions.), it is highly competitive.

A doctor in CAnada would never refer to their MD degree as a bachelor's nor undergraduate level.  And other undergraduate faculties in CAnada never see medical faculty as undergraduate for learning demands placed on what the students must learn and master.

The MD's I know, have at minimum a full 4 year undergraduate university degree which must include qualifying high GPA and MCAT scores plus the interview to enter into a Canadian medical schoool.  As one can appreciate in Canada, quite a number of MDs may have 2 additional university degrees, BA and MA in a different discipline before the MD.

It is demanding in terms of marks and competition to be accepted into med. school in Canada. My sister did notice a large chasm of life experiences between students who came from wealthy families vs. those like herself who had no connections with anyone in the medical faculty and had to work her way up, with no mentoring along the way.

I will also say that for Canadian pharmacists, it is also demanding and competitive to get into the accredited Faculty of Pharamacy Programs (not that many in Canada), one now graduates with Master's, not BSc (undergraduate) degree. It is a 5 yr. university program.  People may not appreciate the level of expertise they can have....there is an enormous amount of memory work and keeping current on drugs, drug therapy and drug-drug interactions.

For both medicine and pharmacy..having marks which translate in 90's (out of 100's) is more the norm to even begin to compete with other applicants and finally get accepted.

23 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

To be able to enter and be accepted into the MD programs at accredited public Canadian universities (private universities don't count. They really don't count in terms of credentials and recognition by employers in regulated/legislated professions.), it is highly competitive.

A doctor in CAnada would never refer to their MD degree as a bachelor's nor undergraduate level.  And other undergraduate faculties in CAnada never see medical faculty as undergraduate for learning demands placed on what the students must learn and master.

The MD's I know, have at minimum a full 4 year undergraduate university degree which must include qualifying high GPA and MCAT scores plus the interview.  As one can appreciate in Canada, quite a number of MDs may have 2 additional university degrees, BA and MA in a different discipline before the MD.

It is demanding in terms of marks and competition to be accepted into med. school in Canada. My sister did notice a large chasm of life experiences between students who came from wealthy families vs. those like herself who had no connections with anyone in the medical faculty and had to work her way up, with no mentoring along the way.

:)  It was a joke response to the question above of Who?

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

in those countries, the equivalent professional to the North American and some others use of M.D. is still typically titled Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.).

I’m not an expert on the English medical education system, but I don’t think that’s entirely correct.  A MD in the US is free to see patients independently, immediately following graduation from medical school. While most go on to do some form of residency for specialization, it is not mandatory. In the UK grads, must first do a 2 year Foundation Program. This appears to be similar to the last two clinical years of an American medical school, rotating through various specialties.  I don’t know if there is an additional  title to having completed this Program, but doctors are only then able to peruse residency training programs.

I would guess the English system might be similar to the Indian system, where High School students get placed into medical school based on test scores. It’s rare to see combined Bachelor’s/MD programs in the US, I know the university of Miami once offered it to very select few students, not sure if they do any longer.

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m not an expert on the English medical education system, but I don’t think that’s entirely correct.  A MD in the US is free to see patients independently, immediately following graduation from medical school. While most go on to do some form of residency for specialization, it is not mandatory. In the UK grads, must first do a 2 year Foundation Program. This appears to be similar to the last two clinical years of an American medical school, rotating through various specialties.  I don’t know if there is an additional  title to having completed this Program, but doctors are only then able to peruse residency training programs.

I would guess the English system might be similar to the Indian system, where High School students get placed into medical school based on test scores. It’s rare to see combined Bachelor’s/MD programs in the US, I know the university of Miami once offered it to very select few students, not sure if they do any longer.

:)  It was a joke response to the question above of Who?

10 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It’s rare to see combined Bachelor’s/MD programs in the US, I know the university of Miami once offered it to very select few students, not sure if they do any longer.

Actually it’s a bit more common than I thought, but most are 7-8 year programs to earn a BS/MD, so I don’t know how that’s much different than a standard undergraduate program and then entering Medical School, except maybe for some support and guidance (and institutional vested interest) in your process.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.collegevine.com/admissions-heros-top-25-combined-bsmd-programs/amp/