Hey Wheels, I maxed out my allotted attachment space

Dottleshead

1 minute ago, Digital_photog said:

One thing to think about is if we take them to 0 many may not see very new posts.  Not everyone lives her 24 hours a day and they may miss something very important. 

And, FTR, I'll gladly trade some of my allotment to folks like @sheep_herder for dog and sheep pictures.  I like having those around!

Likewise, some of the classic "post something funny" type threads could lose a lot of content.

14 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

One thing to think about is if we take them to 0 many may not see very new posts.  Not everyone lives her 24 hours a day and they may miss something very important. 

Yes, but I look at it as I'm not paying the bills either.  Now that I know, if I post a pic I'll have to find a hosting site to use.

So, the plan wasn't for everyone to delete all of their images.  I set the allowance per user to a fairly generous 1.2gb.  That's a lot of uploads.  Most people don't upload anywhere near that, so if the heavy users stay under the 1.2gb (which they have to) we have plenty of space.

I don't want people to feel they can't post pics.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

39 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

So, the plan wasn't for everyone to delete all of their images.  I set the allowance per user to a fairly generous 1.2gb.  That's a lot of uploads.  Most people don't upload anywhere near that, so if the heavy users stay under the 1.2gb (which they have to) we have plenty of space.

I went through and deleted some old ones that were either very large, repeats or in threads that didn't have any particular meaning.  I kept the more recent ones that may still be read or ones in threads that I particularly liked.  I appreciate the ability to post pictures, but some of the old pics didn't need to be saved.   This will also let me post new pics when I have a chance to go somewhere and take pictures without worrying about uploading them.   Thanks again for all you do to keep the site up and running.  I had some free time anyway so it's a good chance to go through the pics.

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

It isn't hard to resize pictures to 100 to 200k. Pictures can look very good at that size and won't overload a server or bandwidth very fast.  I appreciate small pictures when I am in the UP to run sled dogs.  I don't have a very good connection and it makes it load much faster.  I do like seeing other peoples pictures but I don't think 3 or more year old pictures were going to be looked at and it was a waste of space to store them.   For me I hope people still do post new pictures.  That is part of what make this place fun.  Keeping file size down as much as possible is good for all of us.

• Heart 1

I agree.  I love seeing people post pictures.  It helps me get to know them to see their neighborhoods, pets, family and travel destinations.  Or some of the pics are cute or beautiful and can brighten an otherwise dreary day.