So, the overlords announced that they have been "encouraging work-from-home" to employees

2Far

as one of their crisis mitigating initiatives.

If by "encouraging" they mean "You can work from home if you feel the need to, but we'll have to approve what your doing before hand & want daily check-ins to make sure you're doing it and mock you for doing something we have never done before.", then I guess I should feel encouraged.

BTW, no one has taken them up on the offer.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 5

8 minutes ago, 2Far said:

as one of their crisis mitigating initiatives.

If by "encouraging" they mean "You can work from home if you feel the need to, but we'll have to approve what your doing before hand & want daily check-ins to make sure you're doing it and mock you for doing something we have never done before.", then I guess I should feel encouraged.

BTW, no one has taken them up on the offer.

We have a morning muster call or a team meeting 4 days a week (not on Thurs). We had daily "status" reports due at the end of the day that have now changed to weekly ones - was monthly when going into the office.

We, at least, have no choice in the matter.  Theoretically we could go into the office if we wanted, but no one would do that. 

As an aside, you all are in the recurring bullet point "responded to assorted e-mail, IM, and other messages".

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Sure took them long enough to do what other companies have been doing for weeks.

Well, we had a group meeting in the conference room last Thursday where the corner office guy read us the overlord's one-pager and added his Luddite take on working from home.

Company motto: "If we haven't done it in the last 30 years, it doesn't need doing."

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

As an aside, you all are in the recurring bullet point "responded to assorted e-mail, IM, and other messages".

It's always good to know where we stand.

We are 'other messages' and you are 'n00b'

I found my brother and sister-in-law both actually working their jobs from home today when I picked up Jake for our walk.

She was working online on the 2nd floor.  He was working online in the basement.  Their kid did his 3 hours of assigned schoolwork online on the 1st floor and then played online games there.

Great arrangement to keep everyone out of each other's hair!

20 hours ago, 2Far said:

Well, we had a group meeting in the conference room

I’m still going to the office (my boss started a two week stint at home this week, my turn will be when he comes back), but almost all meetings are now by Teams video conferencing. We try real hard to never have 5 or more people in a room, and have everyone sit in an opposing corner when we do meet (our conference rooms are small).

• Heart 1