Mixing Things Up!

Razors Edge

Spring fever, coronavirus,  kids off school, and folks working from home (or furloughed/laid off :( ) means there is not enough "open space" on my regular route during the afternoon to ride safely - both from a risk of contagion and a risk of accidents.  Since I am not riding my commuter to the Metro right now, I swapped on a set of MTB tires a couple weeks ago, and have been taking the Trek out to new adventures.

I regularly walk the dog at local lakes, and a favorite is Lake Fairfax (you can also see Lake Newport and Lake Anne), we rarely leave the park & cross Hunter Mill Rd, but when we have, I always think I need to come back with my bike and explore it some more.  Yesterday, I did :)  What a blast.  Not super technical, but definitely required the fatter tires I put on. A good bit of mud in lower sections as it has rained a bit in the last week.  Still, the trail is in pretty darn good shape, and there were a lot of side trails I skipped as I wanted to get home for dinner.  I will return - likely soon.

image.thumb.png.e4b0f7dfae87fbad453819afa74f0f25.png

A few days before with new tires:

IMG_8480-small.png.2dc0013c51b34f83db835e2bde5b2721.png

One of two river portage crossings (I bet @Dirtyhip would ride right over these rocks):

IMG_8553.jpg.7d60be03b7ab3814b4b1bb0830692468.jpg

At the turn-around point which is a side entrance to Great Fall Park (VA) which is currently closed to cars - @Old#7 will recognize it.  If you can find a spot, it's a nice hike into the park to see the falls:

IMG_8554.jpg.b3c11e65bad079dffda6bb3313719b94.jpg

A few "after" shots of my muddy bike and why I realize a Camelback is a better option ( @ChrisL might now appreciate the grime):

IMG_8555.jpg.19cc9eb98ae2bae41a6342f046f30e55.jpg

IMG_8557.jpg.777946ec6b1aec13aa5be9c43fb9bfc0.jpg

IMG_8558.jpg.83fa90d42b95a175c00c4786c344a976.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Good on you! That is a great trail to ride. I’m familiar with the northern side of the trail. Not too technical, just a fun ride. We have to stay away from the more popular trails as they are over crowded. I may go to Skyline Drive on Saturday as the northern 33 miles are closed to cars.

39 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Good on you! That is a great trail to ride. I’m familiar with the northern side of the trail. Not too technical, just a fun ride. We have to stay away from the more popular trails as they are over crowded. I may go to Skyline Drive on Saturday as the northern 33 miles are closed to cars.

About 1/10th or maybe 1/20th as many folks out on the CCT/Lake Fairfax than on the W&OD. 

I always refill my water bottles at Elkwallow (and eat some junk food :whistle: from the store), but I worry that there will be no service (there won't be) and no water (water fountains off). Likewise, Dickey Ridge has a fountain, but that is sort of too early for a refill but maybe a top off there, and another top off on the return????  Of course, on the return, I doubt I would bother to stop, so then it becomes a max of three bottles for the ride.  I've done it before that way (just two bigger bottles), and the temps won't be too high, so maybe less sweating.

I might consider it now that you mention it.