Derailleur Hangers

JerrySTL

12 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

It's too bad the industry couldn't narrow hanger types down to a dozen or so instead of the bazillion or so we have now.

no crap, even bikes from one brand all have their own unique hanger :wacko: like all three of my cannondales. I still want to have a spare for each. I can get them here https://cannondaleexperts.com/

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

I carry a chain tool on both bikes for this very reason. I can cut the chain and ride single speed.

I've done that a couple of times over the years, but thankfully for other people's bikes.

However I did use the chain tool when I overshifted the tandem. That snapped one pin out of the link and bent three others. I just removed a lot of links and rode back without getting into the large chainring. It's a 7-speed bike so I didn't need any fancy quick link or pin, but I have one now as it's easier than getting the pin adjusted just right.

On my road and gravel bikes, both are 11-speeds, I do have a spare quick link plus pins/links for 9- and 10-speed chains. I've helped a few others over the years.

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I've done that a couple of times over the years, but thankfully for other people's bikes.

However I did use the chain tool when I overshifted the tandem. That snapped one pin out of the link and bent three others. I just removed a lot of links and rode back without getting into the large chainring. It's a 7-speed bike so I didn't need any fancy quick link or pin, but I have one now as it's easier than getting the pin adjusted just right.

On my road and gravel bikes, both are 11-speeds, I do have a spare quick link plus pins/links for 9- and 10-speed chains. I've helped a few others over the years.

Back when, I would regularly snap chains. This was before the quick links. No way around it, you had to have the tool. I used to carry a really nice leather pouch with a complete tool set within. All chromed steel. Da bomb.  B)

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Back when, I would regularly snap chains. This was before the quick links. No way around it, you had to have the tool. I used to carry a really nice leather pouch with a complete tool set within. All chromed steel. Da bomb.  B)

On the C&O Canal site a guy is planning on doing the canal for the first time this year. He posted pictures of the stuff he is planning to take with him. He asked for advice if we thought of any other tools or spare parts he might need. He made my everything but the kitchen sink look like child’s play. He had among other things a large crescent wrench and a hammer. Most of the comments were polite and advised him that he was over packing. First time doing something it’s easy to overthink what you might need.

• Heart 2

16 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

On the C&O Canal site a guy is planning on doing the canal for the first time this year. He posted pictures of the stuff he is planning to take with him. He asked for advice if we thought of any other tools or spare parts he might need. He made my everything but the kitchen sink look like child’s play. He had among other things a large crescent wrench and a hammer. Most of the comments were polite and advised him that he was over packing. First time doing something it’s easy to overthink what you might need.

Did you tell him to make sure he had a cast iron kitchen sink along? I wouldn't have needed the rack and saddle bags if I would have left the ham radios home. Only used them at 2 locations and made 12 contacts.  all the ham stuff weighed about 6 lbs. The second location where i used them I was the only one there.  I think the rest were holed up on some porch waiting out a thunderstorm. I was laying in my tent (that I managed to get set up before the storm hit) and play with the radio.

• Heart 1

I took the C&O canal trail. The rest took the paved trail parallel to it.  When I saw the storm coming I knew there was nowhere to hide so I pushed it hard to get the the campsite and get set up. Played with the radio and took a nap while waiting.

I have never bought a new derailleur.  I have straightened many and have made some from aluminum in the machine shop.  If my time was worth anything buying them would probably have been cheaper.

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

.  I think the rest were holed up on some porch waiting out a thunderstorm. I was laying in my tent (that I managed to get set up before the storm hit) and play with the radio.

A couple of us were holed up eating buffalo burgers before the storm. We rode through the storm. The last couple minutes of the storm we stood under a carport talking with the home owner. We were not going fast to start with but riding through six inches of water on the towpath slowed our progress even more.