Rings

Square Wheels

For those that wear rings, do / can you take them off?  I just read an incident report where they needed to cut the rings off of a patient right before a procedure.  The staff was mostly concerned of the emotional toll it takes on the patient to have a ring cut off.

I take mine off when I sleep, when I use power tools, when I shower.  My ring fits.  I've seen people who have put on weight and their rings look like they are choking their fingers.  I could never do that.

I've had to send people to the emergency room since their fingers had grown over their rings. Giant, infected nastiness. I have also cut rings off people who have giant emotional stress from having them removed. But since I am only removing them temporarily, until the finger returns to a normal shape and can be sized, I can usually get them to do it with minimal fuss.

Mostly I recommend when sizing people is a decent amount of resistance to remove ring; i.e. once wet in cold water it won't come flying off. But not so hard to remove that it leaves a mark on the knuckle. 

I wear mine on the touch loose side. Mainly since my fingers do swell with inflammation flair ups. I wear a Ti ring as my everyday ring so it hardly comes off. It is more durable than my hand so I hardly give it a second thought when working with it on.

As a side note:

Old,

See about getting the stone replaced. It shouldn't be as costly as filling in with gold unless the emerald was of a very large size. Even then, to me, repairing back to original is best. It would then be like it has always been for you. Filling in never shows as nice as intended.

IMHO

As a side note:

Old,

See about getting the stone replaced. It shouldn't be as costly as filling in with gold unless the emerald was of a very large size. Even then, to me, repairing back to original is best. It would then be like it has always been for you. Filling in never shows as nice as intended.

IMHO

The emerald was small (in my opinion).  And pretty banged up after 24 years, kinda like me, :-)  I didn't know emeralds were soft stones.

My first ring was platinum and I lost a bunch of weight after getting married.  It fell off one day at work and I never saw it again.  Now I have a tungsten one.  It is a little too tight, but I am a bit heavy right now.  It does not come off.

Inside a patient?

I sure hope not.  I was at the office putting kidneys on and off of a pump.  I think it would be very, very hard to put that ring in a person with a kidney.  They surgeons do a lot of "back table" work cleaning fat, identifying vessels, etc.  I would say it is a bout a 1 in a thousand chance. 

Most likely it came off with a pair of gloves and got pitched.

About 15 years ago I sprained my ring finger play hoops with my ring on.  By the time I dealt with it the swelling wouldn't allow it to come off.  With ice and elevation that first day I wasn't too concerned.  I woke the next day with a very swollen finger and ring that was very much constricting the swelling.  I came this close to going to the ER to have it cut off but did ice and elevation at work the next day and very much kept my eye on it.  The swelling went down over the next few days but the knuckle above the ring never returned to normal (as could be expected).  So my ring fits just fine but is never coming foo without a saw.

I never really took it off before and have no plans to ever have it removed.

I have cut off rings that were on peoples hands before... They look sad and emotionally scared at first, but I always told them it is able to be fixed, or you can lose your finger and never wear the ring again.. it was their option.

95% of the time they did not wait more then 1 min to say cut it off! :)

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG The emerald was small (in my opinion).  And pretty banged up after 24 years, kinda like me, :-)  I didn't know emeralds were soft stones.

Quite easily replaced by a competent jeweler. Size isn't large enough to warrant an expensive stone. 

Left field ballpark quote would be sub $100 for complete repair/replacement

• Heart 1