Going to India with a group of hippies

SuzieQ

Met some of the women last night who are either going or thinking about going.  Only one of them is my age, the rest are significantly younger and they are all hippies.  We met at one of the woman's homes, which is a restored chicken coop... really interesting and quaint.  She went out to her amazing garden, picked fresh herbs and made us the best tea I have ever tasted!  

Can't say that I'm not a little concerned about the group.  Glad that I have already committed and paid.  If I met the group earlier I may have changed my mind and missed out on an opportunity.  The trip still sounds amazing and we will be experiencing rural India, ceremonies, devotions etc.  

Have fun!!!

I'm going to NY State to meet some forum people :P  I am not sure how many are hippies.

people here seem to think I'm a hippie, but I don't consider myself one :dontknow:   I don't have a nose piercing

people here seem to think I'm a hippie, but I don't consider myself one :dontknow:   I don't have a nose piercing

you teach yoga

That's all the evidence they need. Hell, they don't even have to find patchouli oil. Once they got a yoga mat and can't find any meat in the fridge, there's not a judge in the land that won't convict you of being a hippy 

What are you concerned about?

Not really sure actually.... I guess just traveling with people I don't know and personalities etc, but I guess they are all pretty laid back

you teach yoga

That's all the evidence they need. Hell, they don't even have to find patchouli oil. Once they got a yoga mat and can't find any meat in the fridge, there's not a judge in the land that won't convict you of being a hippy 

I don't use patchouli oil, I use lavender  :P  Oh, and I think I'm the only non meat eater!

Lol, it's very different preparing for this trip...... I have to bring a mosquito net and my own toilet paper

I take that stuff every time I head to the UP :)

REI sells a camping soap that low foam and great for trips.. a little dab will do you and works great with minimal water. 

Wow!  I don't think I want to go anywhere that is supposedly civilized where I have to bring my own TP.   :o

rural India is far from civilized. that's what every Indian programmer I ever worked with says. And you get out into the back of beyond and anything can happen to you. Its not like America where there's 911

anybody here familiar with the Indian tradition of Thugee? :lol:

a long trip cooped up with a buncha hippies....well, you're sure going to get your money's worth on this deal, Suze! :lol:

That sounds like part of the fun. Colourful travelling companions can add to the special memories from any trip.

My friend went there and came back sick with giardia.  It seems like a beautiful and interesting place, but I will never get there.  My husband has zero interest in traveling to places like India, Africa and China.  I may have to drag him down to South America.  He isn't too thrilled with the 3rd world.  He loves this continent and there are so many places we haven't seen here.

Hope you have a great time.  Stay safe. 

the thing about the 3rd world is that there's always something...strange diseases, political and social unrest, man eating lizzards that can take you off the back of a motorcycle...

I got to see the 3rd world in the Navy. Makes you appreciate how great we have it here in the states

you know in the 3rd world, street vendors take the empty bottled water battles and just fill them back up from a tap, don't you?

not trying to talk you out of it, I'm just saying that the 3rd world is still the 3rd world, even with bottled water and packaged snacks

you know in the 3rd world, street vendors take the empty bottled water battles and just fill them back up from a tap, don't you?

not trying to talk you out of it, I'm just saying that the 3rd world is still the 3rd world, even with bottled water and packaged snacks

Yes I have heard about that..... hey it's like riding a bike, you do everything the safest way and then hope for the best :)

and watch out for the snakes. They have cobras over there and other snakes with really big teeth

sometimes they even get those snakes on their airliners :o

from what I understand, Samuel L Jackson made a documentary film about that

Not really sure actually.... I guess just traveling with people I don't know and personalities etc, but I guess they are all pretty laid back

I don't use patchouli oil, I use lavender  :P  Oh, and I think I'm the only non meat eater!

WHAT?!?!  Are you sure they are real hippies?  scratch%20head.gif:dontknow: That doesn't fit the profile at all!

Yes I have heard about that..... hey it's like riding a bike, you do everything the safest way and then hope for the best :)

An exemplary attitude! :nod head:

I'm sure you know people who will warn you to avoid Newburgh and Poughkeepsie.  Could India really be any worse? ;)

And to think of it, how many people not only have the adventure of traveling to India, but manage to enhance the adventure by purposefully traveling to India with a bunch of hippies?

You go enjoy!

• Heart 1

"We met at one of the woman's homes, which is a restored chicken coop... really interesting and quaint.  She went out to her amazing garden, picked fresh herbs and made us the best tea I have ever tasted!"    

So, you're traveling with our very own DirtyHip????

• Heart 2