Parr8 happenings

Parr8hed

Good here.... , I am doing admin stuff from homw and waiting for the phone to ring for callouts.  My wifes job has switched from 60% work from home to 100% work from home but she is getting everything done.

All three kids are still working their regular hours, but daughter #1 had her pay cut back a bit because they are no longer dealing with the public.

We have pretty much cancelled our 3 week trip to the States.  We spent lots of money reserving places so it will be interesting to see if we get refunded

• Heart 1

Doing ok physically. A few bike rides and Miata drives have helped. Missing friends a lot! Both WoW and I are considered essential. No work from home even though I proved it could be done when I was on quarantine. No races or group rides in the foreseeable future. 

• Heart 1

Kids are already starting to lose it not being in school.  E learning is easy for Graham, he had to take a placement exam for junior high next year, he tested out at 9th grade level almost everything, that was the highest grade they tested to.  So yeah, I think he's good for 6th grade, but the lack of social aspect isn't good as he is behind there anyways.

Finley is already bored and her speech has regressed some, online therapy I guess is better than nothing, but it's not the same and she was getting work almost daily in preschool plus the private therapy we take her to.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

All is good here, everyone is healthy.  The continual rain has been the biggest annoyance for us.  Yeah we need it blah blah blah but a week straight is quiet enough. More is in store for later this week as well.  

Easy to tell you do not work in dry-land agriculture.:rolleyes:

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Easy to tell you do not work in dry-land agriculture.:rolleyes:

Well you know where I live and how little rain we get.  Back to back years with above annual rainfall is pretty rare these days.  

We also have that sticky clay dirt so our MTB trails are closed for weeks after a good soaking rain. 

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Couldn’t you camp in the driveway? Do you have a fire ring? Beer & bacon?

We have fires and do beer and bacon often enough. The kids have stayed in the camper. But I ain’t sleeping on that camper bed with my own bed 30 feet away!

1 hour ago, UglyBob said:

This is a good time to make him cook dinner as part of his home schooling.

he cooks dinner a lot!  Like all of the time. He’s really good at steaks on the griddle. He does tacos, spaghetti, grilled chicken, burgers, and breakfast stuff. He’s gonna make some your girl happy one day. 

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Well you know where I live and how little rain we get.  Back to back years with above annual rainfall is pretty rare these days.  

We also have that sticky clay dirt so our MTB trails are closed for weeks after a good soaking rain. 

What is your average annual rainfall?  Ours is 13.3" and in eastern Oregon it was about 11".

14 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

What is your average annual rainfall?  Ours is 13.3" and in eastern Oregon it was about 11".

14.93 for Los Angeles which is close enough for comparison.  I was looking at an almanac and it showed back to back average rainfall years just 6 times in my lifetime.  It’s really a jagged graph as many years are under 10” then one year at 25” and so on.

22 hours ago, Kzoo said:

No camping and no softball here either.

Same here :(

We would have already been camping by now if the COVID-19 wasn't shutting stuff down :(  Actually, we'd be on vacation right now, and not camping, if this damn COVID-19 hadn't swooped in. 

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

I thought Parr would be on his way to Olive Veronesi's house by now

This is outstanding.  I didn't watch the clip because I at work, but I saw on Coors Light's instagram that delivered her a bunch of beer!

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

14.93 for Los Angeles which is close enough for comparison.  I was looking at an almanac and it showed back to back average rainfall years just 6 times in my lifetime.  It’s really a jagged graph as many years are under 10” then one year at 25” and so on.

That is normal, as we can't control nature. That is what makes raising crops, livestock, etc. so challenging in these types of environments.  That is exactly why I had a job working with rangelands.