How Did Malaysia Get Our Shields and Masks?

MickinMD

Below is a photo attached to an ABC News article which, as is the norm today, has absolutely nothing to do with the article.

The guy is "health staff" in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The larger writing on the mask says, "3M Vlex 1804."

Of course, the writing doesn't prove where they were made.  When I was in a Men's Room at the Chongqing Zoo in the middle of China in 2001, I was amazed to see all the urinals stamped with the "American Standard" brand name.  Then I realized they were surely made in China!

image.png.00ae8d4ef46c579bdf6866d3f70f4da5.png

Because they are made in China, which has been an established issue.  3M was also actively pitting countries against each other in a bidding war and shipping to the highest bidder.  So it wouldn't surprise me if that was intended to fill a US order and Malaysia outbid us at the last minute and got the shipment instead.

• Sad 1

3m claims the vflex 1804 is made in the USA with globaly sourced materials.

However, we have no idea where and when that mask was put in stock in Malaysia.  A google search turns up no other version of that photo and as you say it's attached to an article that has nothing to do with the picture making it difficult to ascribe any important facts to it.

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The Cafe is making shields and masks now?

Jingoism (or whatever odd nationalism is going around now) is awful.

Yes.  It could just actually be a self-printed message of solidarity amongst far-flung health workers because we have been jacked so hard by the virus.

That is my guess.