bread

Parsnip Totin Jack

I make bread every week. It similar to that there. Only I don't use sugar.

The 5000 year old recipe is yeast, water, flour and salt

then you put the loaf out on the cooking tray and bake it

Looks like you have an uneven heating oven like me.  Gas?  Electric?

I have a gas one now, but preferred the cheap ol electric I have at my last house.

Loaves look yummy.  I want some.

Electric, the elements are on top, hence the extra browning.  I had to move the rack up to make room for the water pan below.  Adjustments will be made.  The temp started at 500 for ten minutes, then reduced to 400 for ten minutes.  Learn as I go along, it's how I roll.

Electric, the elements are on top, hence the extra browning.  I had to move the rack up to make room for the water pan below.  Adjustments will be made.  The temp started at 500 for ten minutes, then reduced to 400 for ten minutes.  Learn as I go along, it's how I roll.

I do the dutch oven thing.  It creates steam, so you don't need the water bowl.  Makes a really nice crust.  Half of the bake is with the lid on.  Pull the lid to finish and brown it up.  It's just water, yeast, flour and salt.  Takes a day to make it...like a 20 hour rise time.  I have to add extra rise time due to the lack of sugar.

absolute baloney

I baked bread in less than 3 hours Sunday. In the summer, your rise time is short. It isn't the sugar that activates yeast, hell there's plenty of flour to eat, Is the temperature of the water and the temp of the room where you have the dough rise that effects your rise time

I bake bread for real. Haven't bought store bread in 20 years

you don't need a water bowl or steam or any of that nonsense. If you feel like you need to do something, put some water on your hand and rub the outside of the loaf before you put it in the oven. That will do the same thing