SPAM Calls?

Razors Edge

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

I have 'Silence Unknown Callers' turned on on my phone.  I haven't heard a spam call in months.

How does that work? Do calls go through, but straight to voicemail? Do they just not ring? Are they blocked?  Do you still get a VM (garbled chinese)?

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How does that work? Do calls go through, but straight to voicemail? Do they just not ring? Are they blocked?  Do you still get a VM (garbled chinese)?

There is a notification on the screen that there is a call but the phone is silent.  The call gets treated as unanswered and goes to v-mail after the appropriate number of 'silent rings'.

Spammers don't normally leave v-mail.  Their autodialers don't have time for v-mail.

I'm still getting lots of them, but the completely fake ones seem to be gone. The one's I'm getting are those trying to trick you into thinking you're overpaying or underprotected and will take you to 3rd party energy providers, insurance companies, etc.

I'm getting lots of fake stuff in my emails lately, telling me things like they're suspended my Microsoft email account, Paypal account, etc. until I resolve a problem by filling out the attached form (NEVER open these!), etc.  Since I downloaded the email suspension notice at the same time I downloaded several other ones dates later on, it was clear they - I've gotten 3 or 4 of them - were fakes right from the start!

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

I'm still getting lots of them, but the completely fake ones seem to be gone. The one's I'm getting are those trying to trick you into thinking you're overpaying or underprotected and will take you to 3rd party energy providers, insurance companies, etc.

I'm getting lots of fake stuff in my emails lately, telling me things like they're suspended my Microsoft email account, Paypal account, etc. until I resolve a problem by filling out the attached form (NEVER open these!), etc.  Since I downloaded the email suspension notice at the same time I downloaded several other ones dates later on, it was clear they - I've gotten 3 or 4 of them - were fakes right from the start!

My wife gets the Paypal ones too.  Not sure why her and not me.

27 minutes ago, Allen said:

I’ve noticed that too. India must be in lockdown. 

They are, I work with a lot of people in India and they are all working from home.  Not sure how long their lockdown is currently scheduled for.

21 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Spam calls are so bad that I occasionally hang up on real calls

My spam calls were so bad, I gave up answering the phone, if the call wasn't identified by one of my existing contacts.   If they didn't leave a message, they were blocked.  I theory is; if it's important they will leave a message. 

Recently... I haven't received many (almost none)  spam calls.   Then again, I probably have hundreds of blocked numbers by now.   I'm guessing that may have helped.

46 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

My spam calls were so bad, I gave up answering the phone, if the call wasn't identified by one of my existing contacts.   If they didn't leave a message, they were blocked.  I theory is; if it's important they will leave a message. 

Recently... I haven't received many (almost none)  spam calls.   Then again, I probably have hundreds of blocked numbers by now.   I'm guessing that may have helped.

Unfortunately It doesn't work all the time.  I answered a call this morning that turned out to be from the power company asking if I had power since I made a report of the brownouts yesterday.  They are working from home and the call sounded like the usual bs so I hung up

In the millisecond that I was pushing the button my brain caught up with the conversation"power company".  I immediately pushed the pick up button and fortunately they were still there.