Microshift Shifters

jsharr

Looking at installing a set of 2 x 8 microshift shifters on my Falcon.  It is currently running Shimano 105 group set with down tube shifters.

Have any of you upgraded from DT to integrated and specifically gone from Shimano to Microshift?

https://www.microshift.com/en/product/sb-r482/

I can get them new for $90 or used for $50

I have heard decent reviews on Microshift but never used it myself.  Seems a good value.  Another option would be those wonky Gevenale shifters you can mount to a non STI brake lever.

I like how you had to post in the Cafe to get looks here!  

• Heart 1

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

wish they had 7 speed, I would probably get a pair for my old schwinnn aluminum. I only use it as a trainer bike. I want to take it back to downtube shifters.

I wonder if you could use the 8 on a seven?  

Just now, jsharr said:

Not sure, maybe:scratchhead: Sheldon Brown says this "7 and 8-speed systems use a relatively wide, and almost identical, spacing between sprockets," Keyword almost identical. If the spacing is not identical, then the lever's throw will not be correct.

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Not sure, maybe:scratchhead: Sheldon Brown says this "7 and 8-speed systems use a relatively wide, and almost identical, spacing between sprockets," Keyword almost identical. If the spacing is not identical, then the lever's throw will not be correct.

It might just work. My first Fargo was a frankenstein mix of Shimano LX(remember that), XT, XTR, with bar-end shifters. It all worked. The FD was friction and the rear was indexed. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

I have managed to get this to work OK.Set indexing on the middle of the cassette so the slightly inaccurate cable pull does not add up over the entire range. 7 on 8 is close enough to work.

On 4/15/2020 at 2:06 PM, dennis said:

You should be able to adjust the limit screws so that doesn't have a negative consequence. 

On 4/15/2020 at 3:57 PM, Rattlecan said:

I have managed to get this to work OK.Set indexing on the middle of the cassette so the slightly inaccurate cable pull does not add up over the entire range. 7 on 8 is close enough to work.

It works but it grates on my nerves a bit when I try to fine tune the shifts to nearly perfect.