The motion of the ocean

Randomguy

We have been on two cruises in recent years.  One was Carnival.  It was last October.  The seas were oceany.  Just normal waves.  We felt them pretty good.  It was never scary or overwhelming, just knew they were there.

The one prior to that was on a Norwegian boat.  The newest, biggest one they had.  It had all of the newest anti-wave shit on it. It was during Hurricane Michael two years (?) ago.  We were in some big seas.  Much more oceany than last year's waves.  You could barely feel it until the last day.  The last day we were going into some shit that was CRAZY.  But it was still not very bad on that boat.   

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Are there boats with mechanical systems that counteract the movement of the waves to reduce seasickness?

I am yacht-shopping, you see.

The 21' pleasure boat I had on the Chesapeake had Trim Tabs, basically flat pieces about a 9" wide and 9" long that stuck out of the back of the boat below the water line.  They could be electrically raised and lowered and served to stabilize the ride in choppy waves, though it was more for leveling the boat from side to side than for keeping the boat from bouncing between waves.  The waves on the Bay can be significantly bigger than the boat and you sometimes need to point the bow into the big waves to avoid getting swamped.  It's a scary feeling when the bow is riding down a big wave and you can hear your propeller spinning as it's lifted out of the water.  But the bow will ride up the next wave just fine!  Not true if the wave is coming over the stern!

image.png.58098942f1098fa8c4a73c2ae2a7b1c8.png Owners Archives - Insta-Trim Boat Levelers

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The 21' pleasure boat I had on the Chesapeake had Trim Tabs, basically flat pieces about a 9" wide and 9" long that stuck out of the back of the boat below the water line.  They could be electrically raised and lowered and served to stabilize the ride in choppy waves, though it was more for leveling the boat from side to side than for keeping the boat from bouncing between waves.  The waves on the Bay can be significantly bigger than the boat and you sometimes need to point the bow into the big waves to avoid getting swamped.  It's a scary feeling when the bow is riding down a big wave and you can hear your propeller spinning as it's lifted out of the water.  But the bow will ride up the next wave just fine!  Not true if the wave is coming over the stern!

image.png.58098942f1098fa8c4a73c2ae2a7b1c8.png Owners Archives - Insta-Trim Boat Levelers

In high performance application, trim tabs are used to keep the bow down under hard accellaration and at very high speeds, they increase the surface area behin the boat to help it resist blowing over backwards.

When I worked at the boat dealership built a 23' foot SeaRay Pachanga with a supercharged big block Mercruiser in it and we had to install 36" long trim tabs on it to increase stability and blow over resistance as we approached triple digit speeds.  That was the scariest boat I have ever been on.

We also built a few bass boats that would get close to 100 mph with v-8 outboard motors.  The motor was installed on a hydraulically controlled set back jack plate that could raise and lower the motor vertically without changing the tilt of the motor.  At times, those boats were riding on a few square feet of hull and the propellor and not much more.

18 hours ago, jsharr said:

In high performance application, trim tabs are used to keep the bow down under hard accellaration and at very high speeds, they increase the surface area behin the boat to help it resist blowing over backwards.

When I worked at the boat dealership built a 23' foot SeaRay Pachanga with a supercharged big block Mercruiser in it and we had to install 36" long trim tabs on it to increase stability and blow over resistance as we approached triple digit speeds.  That was the scariest boat I have ever been on.

We also built a few bass boats that would get close to 100 mph with v-8 outboard motors.  The motor was installed on a hydraulically controlled set back jack plate that could raise and lower the motor vertically without changing the tilt of the motor.  At times, those boats were riding on a few square feet of hull and the propellor and not much more.

The pachanga was always a dream boat of mine!