How much cabbage do you eat?

Randomguy

2 minutes ago, Further said:

A lot of coleslaw.

Made with Marzetti slaw dressing. My wife always made her own slaw dressing, one time she made coleslaw that was fantastic and I told her how good it was. I said how did you make that dressing? She said she was in a hurry and just opened a jar of slaw dressing. I told her I wouldn’t have said anything if I knew that. She said no, thanks for telling me because you just saved me some work. That’s all we use now.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Only when my Mom or sister make cole slaw with it.

But here's a link to the cabbage recipes on the Love and Lemons blog that always has tasty, healthy foods I'd make if I cooked (and they sold the ingredients at the gas station)

https://www.loveandlemons.com/?s=cabbage&submit=

• Heart 1

I mostly eat it as sauerkraut.  I used to eat a chunk of boiled cabbage with corned beef on St. Patrick's day, but switched to sauerkraut.

I also occasionally make Golubkis - Polish Stuffed Cabbage aka Pigs in the Blanket - where a mixture of ground meat and cooked rice and sometimes other stuff with eggs as a binder is wrapped in boiled cabbage leaves and baked for a few hours at 350°, usually with tomato sauce or tomato soup and sliced onions poured over it before putting it in the oven.  THAT is the best use of cabbage I know.

• Awesome 1

I rarely cook cabbage. I certainly will eat it when others prepare the dish with it. 

Seems like a filler veggie.  It doesn't seem to add anything for me.  And if you see too much cabbage in a Chinese stir fry from a restaurant that's just being cheap...  that's the stigma of cabbage in other cuisines. 

The best of cabbage is probably raw as a coleslaw for me.. green or red cabbage.

22 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I rarely cook cabbage. I certainly will eat it when others prepare the dish with it. 

Seems like a filler veggie.  It doesn't seem to add anything for me.  And if you see too much cabbage in a Chinese stir fry from a restaurant that's just being cheap...  that's the stigma of cabbage in other cuisines. 

The best of cabbage is probably raw as a coleslaw for me.. green or red cabbage.

Does Dearie eat/cook with it?  Indonesian food doesn’t really use it either but the Dutch eat a fair amount of it.  I do throw it in my stir fry but that’s a me thing, not something I learned from my mom. 

Pickled red cabbage... Mmmmmm

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Does Dearie eat/cook with it?  Indonesian food doesn’t really use it either but the Dutch eat a fair amount of it.  I do throw it in my stir fry but that’s a me thing, not something I learned from my mom. 

Pickled red cabbage... Mmmmmm

No, dearie eats whenever it's served to him. He doesn't voluntarily buy cabbage for home, either.  Sure for Germans it's for cabbage rolls.  We buy sauerkraut occasionally. HIs family never made sauerkraut.

Picked red cabbage is delicious.

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Seems like a filler veggie.

To someone from Ohio, ALL veggies are filler veggies, just things on a plate that are taking up space that could better be used by meat or meat and gravy.

It is really rare to eat veggies and say "My dog, that veggie was AWESOME, it just doesn't happen that often.  Sure, if you make veggies with bacon and sausage and chicken stock, then it can be awesome, but is really more of a meat dish.

Cabbage is cheap, sure, but so are potatoes, and nobody scoffs at potatoes much.  As Ralph mentioned, cabbage lasts forever, too.

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

To someone from Ohio, ALL veggies are filler veggies, just things on a plate that are taking up space that could better be used by meat or meat and gravy.

It is really rare to eat veggies and say "My dog, that veggie was AWESOME, it just doesn't happen that often.  Sure, if you make veggies with bacon and sausage and chicken stock, then it can be awesome, but is really more of a meat dish.

Cabbage is cheap, sure, but so are potatoes, and nobody scoffs at potatoes much.  As Ralph mentioned, cabbage lasts forever, too.

Very interesting, that all veggies long ago was considered a filler where you were. I know my mother would have after awhile, rebelled against this for her kids.

Very different in traditional Chinese cuisine...at least 1 veggie considered as a necessary as part of balanced lunch or dinner. There's a ying yang philosophy to this also... to get into Chinese medicine.  In true traditional Chinese thinking, food is considered as medicine.  So the idea is to eat properly...means it's good natural preventive medicine for body.

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Very interesting, that all veggies long ago was considered a filler where you were. I know my mother would have after awhile, rebelled against this for her kids.

Very different in traditional Chinese cuisine...at least 1 veggie considered as a necessary as part of balanced lunch or dinner. There's a ying yang philosophy to this also... to get into Chinese medicine.  In true traditional Chinese thinking, food is considered as medicine.  So the idea is to eat properly...means it's good natural preventive medicine for body.

It was an odd adjustment for me as I grew up with meat not being the focus of a meal, it’s just a component of it and sometimes was missing all together. 

Many American meals, or at least what my wife grew up with, was a meal where the focus is on the meat and Everything else compliments that.  Army mess hall meals were similar in that the meat was the biggest portion and focus of the meal.  This was a bit foreign to me as a young adult. 

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It was an odd adjustment for me as I grew up with meat not being the focus of a meal, it’s just a component of it and sometimes was missing all together. 

Many American meals, or at least what my wife grew up with, was a meal where the focus is on the meat and Everything else compliments that.  Army mess hall meals were similar in that the meat was the biggest portion and focus of the meal.  This was a bit foreign to me as a young adult. 

Though cycling as part of my lifestyle for many years, has helped me health-wise,  I owe the foundation of my good health, to my mother's healthy Chinese cooking (not what one sees in Chinese restaurants).  My dedication to her enormous effort and to be creative /resourceful foodwise on a low budget:   https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2015/11/22/judge-not-the-poor-eating-healthy/  It was easy for me to reduce meat consumption over the past decade, because in my brain, veggie dishes are given equal /similar status as meat dish.

RG:  Potatoes appear more in northern, central Chinese cuisine where climate is cooler.  Parents came from the dry/tropical south. Sometimes as a kids, we had a potato dish PLUS rice in a meal. The potatoes ended up in a soup or baked with soy-ketchup-marinated sliced chicken.