So wth is going on in MI?

Randomguy

12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Not the point.  Her new restrictions were arbitary at best and draconian at worst and have no bearing on current numbers.

Reducing the total number of cases is exactly the point.  If the number of new cases exceeds the number of recoveries and deaths then it will never be controlled.  The new restrictions are not arbitrary and should help reduce the spread of the virus.

10 minutes ago, smudge said:

Ya, what is it people are really pissed about....? Can still buy lottery tickets and....?

Ya, they can buy lottery tickets and liquor stores are open. But we're not allowed to buy paint or fertilizer. But that is just from big box stores; people CAN buy items from smaller hardware stores.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Reducing the total number of cases is exactly the point.  If the number of new cases exceeds the number of recoveries and deaths then it will never be controlled.  The new restrictions are not arbitrary and should help reduce the spread of the virus.

Cuomo would have spelled out why he was recommending the restrictions, rather than just plunking them down.  She would have had an easier time with the people if she offered reasonable explanations of why.  The why's are important.

1 minute ago, smudge said:

Ya, they can buy lottery tickets and liquor stores are open. But we're not allowed to buy paint or fertilizer. But that is just from big box stores; people CAN buy items from smaller hardware stores.

Yeah I crowded into my local hardware store on Saturday instead of going to the wide open Menards lawn section where those employees joined the ranks of the unemployed.  Her actions are illogical and arbitrary.  She would make a great vice-president.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kzoo said:

Yeah I crowded into my local hardware store on Saturday instead of going to the wide open Menards lawn section where those employees joined the ranks of the unemployed.  Her actions are illogical and arbitrary.  She would make a great vice-president.

So let me get this straight, she closed the big stores and kept open the small stores?  What sense does that make?

What are some other restrictions?  

35 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

unless specifically against the law. 

Why are you picking and choosing "laws" all of a sudden. The law - good, bad, indifferent - is what we follow in a society.  If you can rent (by law), then you can also be restricted from going to that rental (by law).

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

No trips to golf courses for family alone time?

Not in Michigan unless you walk on to a club you are a member at, but no services.  If you own the course you are not allow to do any upkeep to it including mowing the grass.

Michigan, the only state where you are allowed to smoke the grass but not allowed to cut it.

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Not in Michigan unless you walk on to a club you are a member at, but no services.  If you own the course you are not allow to do any upkeep to it including mowing the grass.

Michigan, the only state where you are allowed to smoke the grass but not allowed to cut it.

Preach, brother....

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I don't golf.  I am sheltering in place alone. I go outside seldom and when necessary.

I am safe as you can get in a hotspot.

I figured you weren't part of the in crowd, so couldn't/wouldn't flaunt your ability to say one thing but do another.  You must not come from a long line of liars and scoundrels. :( 

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I don't golf.  I am sheltering in place alone. I go outside seldom and when necessary.

I am safe as you can get in a hotspot.

And where you are, there is a completely different mentality about home, about entertainment, transportation, everything. 

None the less... I think our governor is trying to do the right thing. But, as always, there are people who can come up with "but what about..." types of arguments. Some are basically logical; some are individualistic or flat out absurd and presented just to cause an argument. 

In a couple months this will basically be behind us. In five years we'll look back and say, "Remember those masks we wore?"

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, smudge said:

And where you are, there is a completely different mentality about home, about entertainment, transportation, everything. 

None the less... I think our governor is trying to do the right thing. But, as always, there are people who can come up with "but what about..." types of arguments. Some are basically logical; some are individualistic or flat out absurd and presented just to cause an argument. 

In a couple months this will basically be behind us. In five years we'll look back and say, "Remember those masks we wore?"

Yes, but you are proving that people will disregard orders when they feel like it.  By the letter of it, you aren't going to be allowed to go back home, right?  

I am not faulting you, my entire point in this thread is to illustrate that you are really causing no additional risk by being where you are or disregarding bs in a civil-disobedience fashion.  Infinitesimal risk of going where you went.

I think you should change your name to 'Scofflaw'.

43 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

This is what the British, through the BBC, are seeing about American coronavirus behavior and basically saying, no wonder the COVID-19 rate is so high outside of California, which acted early:

image.png.72b34b3d234647ffe6a121cb7bd269f8.png

Saw this today on tyhe BBC

qfn0z0yvy6t41.jpg

Me first vs. We first.

Of course, human instinct is self preservation, preservation of loved one, tribes, etc.  I do that, too.

But this is that odd case where me first is best achieved by we first.  This isn't going away in a month when we start reopening.  There will be more waves.  We've got a year or so of this thing randomly striking.  No geographic area withe any population will be safe.  Unless we contain it, keep the spread localized and slow until we find a cure or preventative.  

You want to keep your family safe?  Slow the spread, or it will follow you to your shore house.  You want to slow the spread?  Work as a society.

Kind of like coming upon a mountain lion.  You can stay with the group right in front of the lion.  Or you can run away to "save yourself".  

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Cuomo would have spelled out why he was recommending the restrictions, rather than just plunking them down.  She would have had an easier time with the people if she offered reasonable explanations of why.  The why's are important.

She spelled it out quite clearly.  Whitmer has as news conference almost every day where she explains her actions quite clearly.  The reason people with multiple houses have to pick one is to reduce the ability of the virus to spread.  The reason big box stores have to close down sections is because people were going to Home Depot to hang out with one another and spread the virus.  Some people choose to to angry so they choose not to listen.  Whitmer explains all her actions very clearly though.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

No trips to golf courses for family alone time?

My mother lives on a golf course.  The can play when they want.  No carts.  Must maintain a 6' distance.  Only 1 person on the green at a time (that is their restriction).  So yes, your family can have a nice afternoon playing golf together.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Kind of like coming upon a mountain lion.  You can stay with the group right in front of the lion.  Or you can run away to "save yourself".  

I get it, this is a poor analogy, though.  When you drill down to the actual 'we', the people that matter are how you are going to define things.  The assholes in Detroit and Big Bald Beaver Road don't matter under these conditions.  From what I have seen, they are doing everything they can to GET the virus and spread it around, they don't matter.  Throughout our existence, the 30-50 people standard is still the standard that matters most.  Outside that, it is fine to help and most people do when possible.  When it comes down to dangerous levels, almost everybody, no matter how principled they are posturing to be right now, will focus on the important people exclusively.  If you don't, then you are a hardcore asshole to your family in favor of others you don't know., which is really, utterly fucked up.

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I get it, this is a poor analogy, though.  When you drill down to the actual 'we', the people that matter are how you are going to define things.  The assholes in Detroit and Big Bald Beaver Road don't matter under these conditions.  From what I have seen, they are doing everything they can to GET the virus and spread it around, and fuck them hard.  Throughout our existence, the 30-50 people standard is still the standard that matters most.  Outside that, it is fine to help and most people do when possible.  When it comes down to dangerous levels, almost everybody, no matter how principled they are posturing to be right now, will focus on the important people exclusively.  If you don't, then you are a hardcore asshole to your family in favor of others you don't know., which is really, utterly fucked up.

Sorry.  The rest of us have no way to differentiate you from the people in Detroit.  You all have two arms, two legs, two eyes.  There is no clue glowing in the air above you sayin you have or don't have the virus.  Stay home, we already have too many others like you here.  They are people and they use our limited facilities and they are our neighbors.  You will simply overload facilities that were never ment to sustain the crowds who'd rather not be in New York and want to run somewhere else now. You will simply bring New York with you.  Shelter in place is the law.

24 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Shelter in place is the law.

So go to the place you want to shelter then. 

You don't like that people bought in your neighborhood, then that is simply too bad for you,they are your neighbors.  Don't like it?  There is nothing you can do about it, so your option is to deal and not complain too much.

You don't have to worry about me, the only place in New England that I liked at all is New Haven, and only for the pizza, I won't be your neighbor.  You can't pick your neighbors, though, so bitching about them is simply sour grapes.

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

So go to the place you want to shelter then. 

You don't like that people bought in your neighborhood, then that is simply too bad for you,they are your neighbors.  Don't like it?  There is nothing you can do about it, so your option is to deal and not complain too much.

You don't have to worry about me, the only place in New England that I liked at all is New Haven, and only for the pizza, I won't be your neighbor.  You can't pick your neighbors, though, so bitching about them is simply sour grapes.

Clearly you don't understand what additional virus cases do for small towns that don't have the facilities to handle them.  Have fun.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Clearly you don't understand what additional virus cases do for small towns that don't have the facilities to handle them.  

It isn't much better for big cities that don't have the facilities for them, either, nobody is set up for the present circumstances.

Just now, Randomguy said:

It isn't much better for big cities that don't have the facilities for them, either, nobody is set up for the present circumstances.

You have far more available facilities.  We would have to send our cases to the nearest big city.  Here there is a 6 bed trauma center shared by several towns.  Had you come back in January when the hand writing was on the wall that might be a different thing.  This late in the game you're just another possibly infected rat running away from the city.  It's no wonder that Rhode Island and Florida are turning away New Yorkers.  What would you do if you were on the other side of the question, welcome everyone with open arms and a kiss?  People with two homes have already made their choices.  Live with it

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

What would you do if you were on the other side of the question, welcome everyone with open arms and a kiss? 

Sure, I would expect that others would come to an area of less danger, why wouldn't you?  People are people, you can't have weird expectations that they will act any differently than how they normally act.

7 hours ago, 12string said:

You're thinking backwards.  It brings the center of the infection to a summer resort that doesn't have the medical resources to deal with it. 

Sure, if you are the only one driving to that cabin in the woods with no houses for miles, and you have all of the fuel to et there and back, and all of the food you need, and you won't be near another human while you're there. it's the place to be

yes, same protests coming from mayors in small resort towns in  Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta...for past 2 wks. or more:  don't come visit. Don't bother with your 2nd home/cabin/cottage.

Anyway there is a wildfire  now burning just 50 km. north of Vancouver turned into an emergency alert zone and some resident evacuation. The last thing we need to kick off all this on top of pandemic. 

I want to believe that publicly telling people not to go hiking, etc., blocking parking lots will keep out assholes from causing forest fires in spring and summer.. it's a real underlying concern every single year. :huh:

Then I will go back to an area with a spring river flood watch. The mountain snow pack has been higher this yr. compared to last yr.  

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Apparently those dumb deprived motherfuckers need to die.  Just deny them access to medical care.  I say let them go commit suicide.  Just keep them the hell off my lawn.

Well that is dumb, you can't deny medical services because a drivers license.  The provincial people come here all the time and gum up the works with all their stupid gawking, and they get into plenty of accidents through a complete lack of awareness on the streets, parks, wherever, should the city deny them access?

No of course not, it is human nature to come here and gawk at all the stuff and many need medical care when they screw up.  We adjust, everybody else should adjust, too, instead of having an absolutely primordial single-celled mindset with a "I am super internet hard-ass Joe and I know what's right because I live in a small town and no one should come here or else"  blah blah blah.    Absolutely moronic.