Tom Collins

Randomguy

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I am having one now.  I had to sub maple syrup for simple syrup, it is really nice.

Wow! This takes me back about sixty-five years when I used to lure my dates into cocktail bars in order to seduce them with my worldly sophistication. Not that it did me any good.....but I still have fond memories of Tom Collins and John Collins.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Old school cocktails are making a comeback with millennials.

I am no millennial, sir!  :angry:

I got to my Tom Collins in a roundabout way.  I went to a restaurant that opened in my neighborhood about 7 years ago and tried the cocktail special of the day, which I had never even heard of before, a Ramos Gin Fizz.  I had no real idea what it was, but it turned out to be absolutely magnificent.

I learned to make it at home, which was equally as wonderful, but bit of a high-maintenance drink and a drama queen, and required special ingredients and attention and time to make.  One day, I thought about the base ingredients after you stripped out the high-maintenance bits, and mixed up something based on those ingredients.  It was wonderful, although I didn't know it's proper name.

Anyway, at some point I did a search for 'gin drinks' and saw that the low maintenance drink I was enjoying was a pretty close approximation to a Tom Collins.  I highly recommend it.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

27 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am no millennial, sir!  :angry:

I got to my Tom Collins in a roundabout way.  I went to a restaurant that opened in my neighborhood about 7 years ago and tried the cocktail special of the day, which I had never even heard of before, a Ramos Gin Fizz.  I had no real idea what it was, but it turned out to be absolutely magnificent.

I learned to make it at home, which was equally as wonderful, but bit of a high-maintenance drink and a drama queen, and required special ingredients and attention and time to make.  One day, I thought about the base ingredients after you stripped out the high-maintenance bits, and mixed up something based on those ingredients.  It was wonderful, although I didn't know it's proper name.

Anyway, at some point I did a search for 'gin drinks' and saw that the low maintenance drink I was enjoying was a pretty close approximation to a Tom Collins.  I highly recommend it.

Well, next time I am in NY, we will go for Tom Collins, Olde Fashioned and Singapore Slings :)

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Yes!  When this is over, we will have a cocktail party.

I will bring Zima for people that can't deal with hard liquor.

We have a mint plant on our deck every summer.  We call it our mojito plant, for summer fun with 'Mojito Mondays'

Can I come to the cocktail party too?  I make a great "Old Fashioned" and a 'Flaming Rosemary Gimlet"

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

We have a mint plant on our deck every summer.  We call it our mojito plant, for summer fun with 'Mojito Mondays'

Can I come to the cocktail party too?  I make a great "Old Fashioned" and a 'Flaming Rosemary Gimlet"

But of course!  Old Fashioned's are great!

• Heart 1

I sometimes use a bourbon infused maple syrup in place of the simple syrup in an old fashioned

I got into them after a scene on "Crazy Stupid Love" where it shows Ryan Gosling making one, and I googled it to see what he was making.  It is my go-to cocktail now

• Heart 1