Obamacare cost me two grand

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

For me to keep the same coverage for my family this coming year that I had this past year, it will cost me an additional $2,000.

That's not including the portion of the premium increase for inflation, higher taxes, more fees, etc, etc.  That's the amount solely attributed to the changes mandated in Obamacare.

Did he mean to say "cost" instead of "save"?

And before people start crying that this should be posted in the "Politics" Forum, please note I'm not making any comments about politics here.

I've commented on:

-The fact of the financial impact of a law passed by the government, and

-The fact of the President had said insurance costs would go down by passing that law.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions regarding reality and what was the general perception as the law was passed.

And I invite you to share your experiences regarding this topic, and politely ask you refrain from political comment so the thread doesn't get moved from the Cafe, if you please.

• Heart 2

I don't think my health insurance has changed this year, but it seems totally arbitrary how much my deductible varies.  I have a High Deductible with HSA, so until I hit the $2500 per family deductible, Aetna pays very little.  I need to figure it out, but it seems like my portion should go down substantially now that I am nearing or at the $2500. 

I guess things didn't change much for employees of big businesses?

Insurance rates are rising dramatically, but it has been that was for years.  Each year health insurance goes up by incredible amounts.

I don't know your situation, so hard to tell.  For me, I haven't noticed much change.  My employer provides good coverage. My costs only went up a little.

For me to keep the same coverage for my family this coming year that I had this past year, it will cost me an additional $2,000.

That's not including the portion of the premium increase for inflation, higher taxes, more fees, etc, etc. That's the amount solely attributed to the changes mandated in Obamacare.

Did he mean to say "cost" instead of "save"?

And before people start crying that this should be posted in the "Politics" Forum, please note I'm not making any comments about politics here.

I've commented on:
-The fact of the financial impact of a law passed by the government, and
-The fact of the President had said insurance costs would go down by passing that law.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions regarding reality and what was the general perception as the law was passed.

And I invite you to share your experiences regarding this topic, and politely ask you refrain from political comment so the thread doesn't get moved from the Cafe, if you please.

Yay!

Thanks for posting this. It made a good day even better.

Now I know who's paying for my healthcare.  :P

That's too bad.   :(

I've changed insurance since I started a new job.  So far I've only had to use it twice.  The problem I'm running into is finding a primary care doctor here in Rochester.  I guess it takes awhile to find a doctor here.  I've applied to a local set of doctors and I was told it would only take a few weeks.  Several of the doctors I called stated it could take several months to find a primary care doctor.  I don't know if it's related to the new law or not so I don't want to make that assumption. It very well could have been like this in Rochester before the new law.  However, I've never had to wait this long to see a doctor in other areas of the country.  Until then, I'll visit the medic-clinics.  The only issue is the co-pays are a bit higher in cost.  But, I can afford it. 

I'm just grateful I have a job that offers insurance and I don't have to rely on state subsidies.   

Couch

Obama care is my first experience of being on my own health insurance, so I don't really have much to compare it to, but also don't believe I would have been able to afford coverage before Obama care.  

• Heart 2

I have excellent health coverage from my wife's company. We have BCBS of New Jersey and it has not gone up appreciably. My company doesn't offer any health. I have heard from two different employees and both are sharply contrasting. Both with young children. Both women.

I know not if the correlation matters but interesting to note nonetheless:

One was a Black woman aged 37 with a 5 year old daughter. Her premiums compared to her previous insurance went down almost $300 a month. Full coverage, dental, vision, with high deductibles.

The other woman, Hispanic, aged 24 with a 6 year old son. Her premium increased by $175 a month. Bare minimum coverage, low deductibles but high payer subscribed costs for out of network.

Seems it pays to have the better insurance than try and scrape by with the minimum.

I have seen both of their old/new bills so I can verify true. 

How you like your Hope and Change now?

Listen, this Obama guy is like buying a car stereo from some dude out of a trunk. Sure, the deal sounds great when he's selling it to you, then you get your ObammyCare home and find out he sold you a box with nothing but a couple bricks in it and you got beat

every single policy this guy puts out is aimed at destroying the capitalist system and the American way of life

this is why I say demeaning this imbicile with racial slander is not racist, its cathartic and real Americans should be using their rights of free speech to do exactly that

This fried chicken and watermelon on the Potomac must end!

300px-Sam_myspace.jpg

I didn't insult Thad at all. I'm agreeing with Thad

I'm sorry Obama's your boy, but he's really destroying America. Look what's going on in the world today. do you think Russia would have ever shot down a jet airliner with Dick Cheney around?

And what about the border crisis?

Obama sees nothing but new Democratic voters

these are real issues that people should be talking about

ACA saved our family $20,000 when my son was hospitalized with Type I diabetes.  He was covered under our insurance because ACA extended the age children could be covered under their parents insurance.  He was hospitalized for a week and it only cost us about $1,000 out of pocket.  

Also, when the time comes for my son to get his own insurance, he can't be denied coverage due to his preexisting condition.

Thanks Obama!

• Heart 1

hey, I'm free to criticize the government

and there is no legal requirement under the First Amendment to be tactful, or even tasteful. Criticizing  the government is protected speech.

So I'm just exercising my rights as an American just like you are

hey, I'm free to criticize the government

and there is no legal requirement under the First Amendment to be tactful, or even tasteful. Criticizing the government is protected speech.

So I'm just exercising my rights as an American just like you are

I never said you weren't.

I guess you couldn't follow TK's wishes about keeping politics out of this thread, so that it doesn't get moved to P&R.

Obama care is my first experience of being on my own health insurance, so I don't really have much to compare it to, but also don't believe I would have been able to afford coverage before Obama care.  

What you say may be true, and I don't think there's any way to do a 'pre-Obamacare' calculation to figure that out if you've only sought insurance after it passed.  Given that, I'd say your instincts that a policy for you before Obamacare may have been more expensive could very well be correct.

I do know someone in my area who operates a business very similar to yours.  Before Obamacare he was insured through his business through a New York State small business program.  Because of his own income and because the business profits were small, he qualified for a program that provided him with health insurance at essentially no cost (to him, that is).

After the passage of Obamacare his policy was cancelled.  He now pays $250/month for a policy that covers much less, with significantly higher deductibles, and higher co-pays.