Your next problem to worry about

maddmaxx

Check your automobile occasionally.  With the shelter in place already over a month old here and everyone working from home womaxx's battery died.  Last week I had to go rescue her at school on the only trip she made there this month and this morning when I checked the battery was totally dead again.  Fortunately there's a quick lube place just up the street that does Interstate batteries (the old one was one of theirs as well) and the problem is solved with a 30 minute stop.  I never had to go in and they checked and cleaned everything. The trip was worthwhile as I I met a healthcare worker on her only day off inbetween 14 on at the hospital.  We were chatting from about 12 feet apart and she commented on how the masks hurt her ears after a full shift.  I called womaxx and she ran a pair of homemade mask holders up for me to give to the lady.

The Cube is an 09 and the dead battery was only the first replacement from about 5 years ago.

• Heart 3

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

the first replacement from about 5 years ago.

That's about all you may get from a battery. (more of less)

Just before the pandemic...  I changed the battery in my Subaru, its second battery, which was almost 5 years old.  WoBG... why change it now?  I told her, I don't want the problem of driving to where you are to swap a dead battery.  Of course she thought I was... lets stay nuts... to swap the battery.    WoBG tells her best friend and they both agree I'm nuts.   

WoBG's best friend got stranded with a dead battery, because she never bothered to swap her old battery.  The friend was explaining all of this to WoBG on the phone.  I figured out what was going on... and offered to help, and was turned down.   And of course I couldn't resist... and said 'I told you so' loud enough for everyone to hear.  (yeah they still think I'm nuts.. )

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

My Pilot battery went dead about a month ago. I had been driving the Oddesey and the Pilot only got driven when I needed 4wd or pull a trailer. Nothing was left on, lights, doors all shut tight. It was so dead the dash lights didn’t even come on and the stereo had to have the security code programmed back in. I put the battery on the charger and at the end of the day there was still no charge. I left it on the charger overnight and messaged my brother that I needed his help to get a new battery (we had loaned out the Oddesey to our son). My brother showed up and before I removed the battery I gave it one last try and it started. So far it’s holding a charge but I try to drive it once a week now.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Yep, short or no trips on old batteries will kill them.  Like I said, unexpected problems.

My battery was about one year old, it was probably mostly covered under warranty. I don’t know what uses power when parked. It has a little red light on the dash that blinks to show the security system is working. I wouldn’t think that would use much power.

Just now, Longjohn said:

My battery was about one year old, it was probably mostly covered under warranty. I don’t know what uses power when parked. It has a little red light on the dash that blinks to show the security system is working. I wouldn’t think that would use much power.

I suspect that there are things in the car that have "keep warm" ckts like your television at home.  If they weren't operating the car wouldn't know that you just pushed your unlock remote, your radio wouldn't retain it's presets.

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I replaced it in the driveway, a bit of a PITA, structural cross braces, power strip mounted to battery, etc.

That's exactly why I change it at home.  You don't know what is in the way, etc... until you need to replace the battery.     If I did need to go and rescue my wife and replace the battery, I'd probably take the top tool chest of my tools, just in case.  I'd hate to be 20 miles (or more)  from home, and find there is a brace in the way, and the tool(s) I need are at home.

• Heart 1

I still commute so not an issue for me.  My wife can’t stay in the house all day so will often jut get in the car and drive around.  I go with her sometimes but if I’m gonna sit in my ass for 2 hours I’d rather be on my couch.

I have to remind my son to check his car though.  It sits for days at a time now..

I'll probably need a new battery next winter, I think it's 7 yrs old. Last winter wasn't very cold so starting wasn't an issue. When I was off for 3 months on medical, I started the vehicle a few times to put some juice in the battery. After 6 weeks, I was able to drive.

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Check your automobile occasionally.  With the shelter in place already over a month old here and everyone working from home womaxx's battery died.  Last week I had to go rescue her at school on the only trip she made there this month and this morning when I checked the battery was totally dead again.  Fortunately there's a quick lube place just up the street that does Interstate batteries (the old one was one of theirs as well) and the problem is solved with a 30 minute stop.  I never had to go in and they checked and cleaned everything. The trip was worthwhile as I I met a healthcare worker on her only day off inbetween 14 on at the hospital.  We were chatting from about 12 feet apart and she commented on how the masks hurt her ears after a full shift.  I called womaxx and she ran a pair of homemade mask holders up for me to give to the lady.

The Cube is an 09 and the dead battery was only the first replacement from about 5 years ago.

I've been thinking about that. Friday was the first time in 9 days I started my car.  Tomorrow or Wed. will be next.  I think I need to start the car every few days with the windows down and just walk around it in the parking lot for some exercise every couple days.

The car is 7 years old with it's original battery.  I was thinking, before the pandemic, about taking a drive across the country this summer and planned to get a new battery before I did - the Honda Fit has an oddly shaped battery that not everyone carries and it might be hard to replace if necessary on the road.

I guess I won't get a new battery until next year or late this summer at the soonest.

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Check your automobile occasionally. 

Several years ago my wife and I went on vacation.  My wife generally uses her car daily, and usually parks nose in towards a curb.  Anyway, she must have been in a rush (almost always is), and pulled all the way into the spot with the nose of the car past the top of the curb and in contact with the grass that grows there.

It rained A LOT while we were gone.  So much rain that an intrepid ant colony decided to expand up and into the bumper of her car :)  Needless to say, when we got home, there were ants and ant structures - dirt tunnels! - all over her bumper, engine compartment, and into the front fender areas.

It took me several hours to sweep and vacuum the affected areas, but I also ended up having to put some ant traps around the interior until eventually all ants were gone.  Lesson learned? Don't pull into a space that far!

my wife has to drive every day, she occasionally switches to the truck.  Although, with the 2 friends being forced to move during this, it's been getting some use anyway.  The GTI is still an many pieces, the battery is somewhere in the trunk.  Or the shed.  Or basement.  I'll find it.

• Heart 1

I thought I was having that problem (or something worse) yesterday. Needed to run up for gas for the lawnmower. Pressed the car's start button and the starting sequence stopped in the middle of a start. Just the lights on the dash staring at me and attempting to re-start was unresponsive. Finally got it turned off and it re-started fine, and has since.

I have had the car 3 years this week and one battery replaced already. It was covered under warranty, but my "anything and everything - even wiper blades" warranty just ran out. So now would be on my dime.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

My wife has a bad habit of leaving her headlights on, so I had to buy a portable jumpstarter.  It works great and has an air compressor as well and doubles as a portable charging station while camping.

My 1995 del Sol has no headlight chimes so I have done that a brazilian times. :(