Happy Earth Day!

MoseySusan

2 minutes ago, roadsue said:

It’s a beautiful Earth Day. 

Probably the most wondrous in decades?  And unlikely to be repeated very often.  On the one side, that's great, but it is tough "missing out" on it.  I gotta say, it is nice to give nature a chance to relax once in a while :D

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, roadsue said:

...you bastards. <- if I were @RalphWaldoMooseworth But I’m not. So, I’ll say the air is filled with bird song this morning, crude oil is at -$36 a barrel, and children are riding their bikes around the neighborhood. It’s a beautiful Earth Day. 

D62F1285-6677-42AE-8F02-51049A6C4894.jpeg

https://ehs.unc.edu/environmental/fact-sheets/outdoor-chalk-art/

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

nature a chance to relax

Right?! The before and current photos of highly polluted cities are stunning. And the unspoiled views at sunset with noticeable absence of air traffic. And the increased bird song because of limited industrial noise. 

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I’m glad you mentioned the impact of sidewalk chalk. That river rock area you see in the photo acts as a filter for particulates as rain water collects in the area and filters into the ground where native plants (specifically a desert willow tree) can access it. Our yard is an engineered xeriscape making best use of naturally occurring water. 

• Heart 2

Just now, roadsue said:

I’m glad you mentioned the impact of sidewalk chalk. That river rock area you see in the photo acts as a filter for particulates as rain water collects in the area and filters into the ground where native plants (specifically a desert willow tree) can access it. Our yard is an engineered xeriscape making best use of naturally occurring water. 

Soot from aircraft exhaust works the same way.  We all make excuses to cover our hypocrisy.  

13 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Right?! The before and current photos of highly polluted cities are stunning. And the unspoiled views at sunset with noticeable absence of air traffic. And the increased bird song because of limited industrial noise. 

In the Yoop we call that Tuesday.

Sorry, had to brag. ;)

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

This is an unusual Earth Day.  Most things in life involve trade offs and I'm not giving up my car or a lot of other activities that have an impact.  But little changes done on a big scale can also make a difference, and it never hurts to think about changes I can make in daily activities that don't have a big impact on me, but can make a difference on a larger scale.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Someone's got a case of the cranky. 

I have an intolerance to environmental hypocrisy.  "What I do is great, what you do is bad.  Unless I need to fly across the country, then what you do is ok but only for me. The other 200 of you are killing the earth."    So yes, celebrating a breathe of fresh air for the environment at the expense of millions of jobs, trillions of dollars revenue and millions of lives effected by hundreds of thousands of deaths is no victory to me.  It makes me cranky. :) 

The good news is, the hippies can now afford gas for their school bus to travel across the country to protest the oil industry.  :) 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have an intolerance to environmental hypocrisy.  "What I do is great, what you do is bad.  Unless I need to fly across the country, then what you do is ok but only for me. The other 200 of you are killing the earth."    So yes, celebrating a breathe of fresh air for the environment at the expense of millions of jobs, trillions of dollars revenue and millions of lives effected by hundreds of thousands of deaths is no victory to me.  It makes me cranky. :) 

The good news is, the hippies can now afford gas for their school bus to travel across the country to protest the oil industry.  :) 

True. But hopefully it will also serve as a wake-up call to all the selfishness people express in their everyday lives. Hopefully.

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

environmental hypocrisy.

Celebrating the planet is good. Whatever that looks like for whomever gives a moment of joy and gratitude. It’s not mutually exclusive of concern about job loss and businesses that are struggling to stay afloat. 

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm in that club!

But he was eating pie?  Was this before or after he started loving the planet?

After. I think he started earth day in the 1970s. This was the 1980s. Yes, he had pie. It was delicious pie. 

I didn't know if I should call him Governor or Senator since he as both.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I so want to take that and start a flame war on our neighborhood residents page!!!!  Tell everyone they are ruining our world with all the chalk art!  That way I could compete with the people complaining about leaf blower noise, or loud kids playing during home office hours, or clueless moms walking their kids by the creek on the golf course!!!!

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I so want to take that and start a flame war on our neighborhood residents page!!!!  Tell everyone they are ruining our world with all the chalk art!  That way I could compete with the people complaining about leaf blower noise, or loud kids playing during home office hours, or clueless moms walking their kids by the creek on the golf course!!!!

That is correct, bucko!  Human activity, all of it, has an impact on the planet.  We just chose to justify the ones we partake in. :) 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Comparing some sidewalk chalk to a jet plane is like apples to oranges.  It's like comparing bicycle impact to a bulldozer on the environment.

But, I do appreciate the link and it is good to know.  Personally, I have never used it.  Not super artsy.

I am not comparing the size of damage done, just the hypocrisy that is always present when we justify our own activities.   Are you no longer painting or is that just a winter activity? 

My primary point here is yes, fresh air is wonderful, clear skies are beautiful but it comes at a very high cost.  Not a sustainable tradeoff.  Judging by the escalating protests in the US, it wouldn't take much to push civility aside if this were the tactics used to improve the environment. 

It’s actually been really nice in SoCal the past month. Light traffic, no aircraft noise (I live near a large airport), clean air, empty trails & empty beaches.  Much of Orange County left the trails &  beaches open but closed all parking areas.  The locals have free run to trails & beaches if you are willing to ride in!  

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I am not comparing the size of damage done, just the hypocrisy that is always present when we justify our own activities.   Are you no longer painting or is that just a winter activity? 

Some, just not much at all.  Paint is expensive and has impact of its own.  I really need an easel, so I can have a "place" to paint.  Lately, I set up on the coffee table.  Tiny home means lots of compromises.  I wish I had an art room, but ...  I've been riding more, cause my ankle is being nice lately.  I was painting when left behind a lot, and that isn't happening as much.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Some, just not much at all.  Paint is expensive and has impact of its own.  I really need an easel, so I can have a "place" to paint.  Lately, I set up on the coffee table.  Tiny home means lots of compromises.  I wish I had an art room, but ...  I've been riding more, cause my ankle is being nice lately.  I was painting when left behind a lot, and that isn't happening as much.

That is the problem with right-sized dwellings.  I have the same issue in my house with 6 adults in it.  

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That is the problem with right-sized dwellings.  I have the same issue in my house with 6 adults in it.  

I am thankful that we have a huge rectangle shaped living room.  We have two bikes on racks, a rowing machine, and it still leaves room for me to do yoga.  Looks like a fitness room, but fitness is our life.  So, all good.  The biggest issue in this home is storage space and not having clutter all over.  If you do anything, it adds clutter.  Oh well.  

We have a lot of soil on this lot.  It does have ample gardening room, so that is pretty great.  We added a fortress of a cyclone fence around the lot.  It keeps the cats out, the deer out and hopefully thieves out too.  It sucks to have to do this, but we were left with no choice.

• Heart 1