taars

Parr8hed

Talk to me about them.  Do you wait until you have gotten your money's worth out of every single tread?  Do you replace well before they reach the wear indicator?  Do you spend a little extra and get the name brand?    Do you try to save a few bucks each wheel and go with an off brand because you go through them so quick?  

This is what I'd like to have.   But dang, they are high.  Both of our cars need them soon.  

I never go as far down as the wear indicators and sometimes depending on the age of the tires I've replaced some that have almost half their tread left.  Tires harden with temperature cycles and exposure to weather.  After a while quite a bit of traction disappears.  This as well as tread wear can make the unsuitable in snow or even rain.  Even dry pavement performance is degraded.  Being about 50 feet too far into trail braking in a hairpin corner is not the time to learn about this.

Edit:  This has quite a bit to do with my distrust of tires rated for extreme high milage before wearout.  They start as rocks and they don't get better.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Talk to me about them.  Do you wait until you have gotten your money's worth out of every single tread?  Do you replace well before they reach the wear indicator?  Do you spend a little extra and get the name brand?    Do you try to save a few bucks each wheel and go with an off brand because you go through them so quick?  

This is what I'd like to have.   But dang, they are high.  Both of our cars need them soon.  

Ours usually start to dry rot a bit, so then I know it is "time".  We have cheap cars with cheap tires, so it isn't that big a deal.  My wife's Civic needs new ones and it'll be about $350 at Costco to replace them, so not awful every five or six years???

oh, this is not bike tires.

I dont necessarily wait to the wear bars, but, close to it.  I usually go with whatever off brand Discount Tire is offering. Some are pretty good.  we have Rikens on the car, 2003 Honda Accord.  We bought the Jeep Cherokee in August 2019, so, it has the originals.

• Heart 1

Company truck tires; Lincoln's head = time to replace. Name brand all-weather tires. I think there's Michelins on there now.

Former ManVan: when it was the MV, I bought name brand shoes from TireRack & had them drop-shipped to Pep Boys for the first set. The next rounds were bought at Discount Tire. Now, Wo2 decided on the cheapest from DT. They will probably outlive the vehicle.

I always go to Discount Tire and buy based off of their ratings.  I buy when the get to the wear marker.

I am not afraid to use some of the off name brands, like Kumho or Falken as they are factories that make tires for the big name guys.

My next set of tires will most likely be Falken Pro G5 CSV's for the Chrysler.

Running Coopers on the Jeep.

• Heart 2

44 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

My brother ran those on his High Country Z-71 and loved them.  He drives a lot and replaces trucks pretty often and usually the truck is replaced prior to the tires wearing out.

I think part of it is that he can and the other part is his company gives him a sweet vehicle allowance. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I always go to Discount Tire and buy based off of their ratings.  I buy when the get to the wear marker.

I am not afraid to use some of the off name brands, like Kumho or Falken as they are factories that make tires for the big name guys.

My next set of tires will most likely be Falken Pro G5 CSV's for the Chrysler.

Running Coopers on the Jeep.

I think that this is going to be my plan.  My truck and the wife's explorer neither one are AT the wear bars, but really close.  I really want new ones on my truck soon as I use it to pull the camper.  The wife's could prob wait a few months, but maybe they will cut me a deal for getting 8 taars at once.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

I think that this is going to be my plan.  My truck and the wife's explorer neither one are AT the wear bars, but really close.  I really want new ones on my truck soon as I use it to pull the camper.  The wife's could prob wait a few months, but maybe they will cut me a deal for getting 8 taars at once.  

If you go with the KO's get the replacement certificates.  Those big tires tend to kick up road debris more as the front tire hits it and then rear tires get flats.  At least that is how it was on my Jeep and my truck when I put bigger tires on it.

I had a set of Pathfinders on the Silverado.  Made by Kumho for Discount.  Really nice tire for the price to me.  They were quiet and stable on road and felt confident off road.  Only really went "off road" at Scout camps, etc, not real 4 wheeling or mudding.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/pathfinder-at

• Heart 1

My pickup gets whatever is cheap. I don't drive it enough to spend a lot on tires. Normally I rotate the rear tires to the front and get new rears. The last time they got me some mud and snow tires that will not go on front so my fronts have become very worn as I kept putting off replacing them. The wear bars are worn off!

Our Mazda 6 was very susceptible to tire noise. The off brands were notorious for lots of noise. I tried a local tire place a few years ago. He talked me into spending a little extra for Bridgestone Ecopia tires. They were wort every penny! Quiet and I got better mileage. I will put them on the CX-5 when the time comes. 

The Miata is a little tougher. There aren't a lot of tires avalable in 185/60-15. Tire Rack had some General Tires that Miata guys gave good ratings. They drive well and are somewhat quiet, but don't have quite the stick in the corners as the no name tires on the car when we bought it. 

• Heart 1

I will try to get as much of the tread life as possible out of them, but on the SUV, if they are getting close to worn out and winter is approaching, I may replace them with some life left.  I check TireRack.com for reviews on how various tires performed on my vehicles types.  I don't buy rim protectors, only tires with the best performance characteristics.

Measure like 2far, and replace all four on Jetta and Jeep, but mount new ones on the front of the truck, and rotate the fronts to the rear.  Don't think I've ever replaced all 6 at once on the pu.  Run all Coopers on all three vehicles and have for may years. Run all weather on the Jetta, and fairly agressive tread on the pu and Jeep.  I don't like having flats on vehicles or trailers, and we run a fair amount on gravel roads.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

My Subie has the same tires on it from when I got it 4 years ago?  I have about 60K miles on them and they aren’t ready to go yet?  

I’m wondering if the symmetrical awd helps with tire wear?

60K is a good amount!  I have 142K on my truck and this is only my second set of taars for it.  I think I was at 63K when I replaced them.  This set is 10 ply LT taars.

Just now, Parr8hed said:

60K is a good amount!  I have 142K on my truck and this is only my second set of taars for it.  I think I was at 63K when I replaced them.  This set is 10 ply LT taars.

That’s 60K that I put on them as I bought it used.  They have more but not sure how much more and will get a lot more before I replace them.

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

I always go to Discount Tire and buy based off of their ratings. 

This.  The guys there are usually good and straight shooters in regards to selection advice, at least from my experience.  I run tires down pretty good depending on finances, but nice tires are so much better than not-nice tires.  I lean toward quiet tires, and prefer Michelin, at least I used to.

They will give you a discount if you say Square Wheels sent you.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Talk to me about them.  Do you wait until you have gotten your money's worth out of every single tread?  Do you replace well before they reach the wear indicator? 

Here is my list of maintenance categories for a car in order of what is important. 

1) stopping

2) steering

3) everything else 

Your tires are critical for both stopping and steering.   I replace tires before they get down to the wear bars. 

I use the Tire Rack web site for research.  Then I search for the best price of the tires I want.  Most of the time I buy my tires at Discount Tire.  Some times I buy from Tire Rack.

Panic Stopping: How Much Tread Depth Do You Need?    Tire Tech: When should I replace my tires?

• Awesome 1

I like General Altimax tires for cars. Highly rated by Consumer Reports and not too expensive.

I recently put a set on Altimax tires on WoJSTL's Altima. Altimax / Altima. I like that. Her tires still had OK tread, but two of them were over 7 years old. Old taars can be dangerous.

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I buy either Bridgestone, Faarstone, or their cheapo brand Primewell.  I run them just above the wear bars, except when winter is coming, then I will buy a tad earlier.  I like it when they wear oot in spring or summer.

Back in the day when I had the two Dodge Shelby Daytonas they came with Goodyear F1 Gatorbacks in an odd size not used by any other car that I could discover.  They could easily pull over 1G on the skidpad and when you had to panic stop your biggest worry was the next 3 cars behind you.  They were high performance gumballs with an unfortunate side effect.  They were a handfull in the snow and they had to be ordered from someplace in the midwest when you needed more.  You would of course need more in less than 20K miles.  In 1980s pricing they were over $200 each plus special handling charges for shipping and installation.

Oh, you couldn't fit the car with normal Dodge wheels and snows for the winter because the brake rotors were upsized to match the larget diameter wheels and snows for those wheels were in excess of $300 each.

I couldn't afford to keep those cars.  Turbo costs.........Tire costs........dozens of trips to the dealership for warranty service each year........tickets.   But by God those were scary fast pocket rockets.  Carol Shelby was a warlock.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I never go to the end, maximum wear. Why take the risk? Figure mine and family's life is far more valuable than a set of four tires. Even then, amazed at the better handling of the new tires.

Now use name brand  as choice is somewhat limited when using run-flats.

Can't recall ever getting non-name brand such as tire store housebrands., but have had good luck with what might be labeled second tier - Coopers, Dunlop, Kelly Springfield, etc.  

Tire Rack here. They deliver and a local guy installs. 
I once got new tires on my car because Mr Aire thought the ones it came with were to loud. It is my car. He drives it approximately once a month. I am hearing impaired, didn’t bother me at all. 
truth.  

ps I now have continental tires. We put the other ones for free on Facebook. A very nice young man happily took them. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

My tires last a long time. My wife is picky about tires, she bought the ones that are on the Pilot back when it was her car. I think they are some kind of Goodyear. She paid about twice what I usually pay but I haven’t bought any tires for the Pilot. They may be an expensive size. I did pay the pro-rated part of a tire that was slashed. I paid sixty dollars and they paid the other $160. Tires last a long time for us, probably a combination of improvements in tires, I’m old and probably drive like an old man, I am blessed, my stuff lasts a very long.

We have a tire shop just on the other side of Mercer that treats us well. We usually go with their recommendation.