A Quick Stretch Before A Ride?

Razors Edge

On 4/23/2020 at 8:32 AM, Square Wheels said:

I thought you were a guy.

So, does that mean I should or should not be stretching before a ride?  I'm open to manliness suggestions!

I do enjoy watching a woman demonstrate stretches, though.  NTTIAWWT

22 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

From what little I know, and it truly is a little, I don't do static stretches, I've read and been told by a former coach, that they can cause more harm, and do almost no good.  She seems to be doing a mix of active and static stretches.

I generally just ride at a low HR (below 130 bpm) for 10-15 minutes before ramping up my effort.  I don't know how that helps with my joints, but I know it helps with the overall ride to have my body warmed up slowly rather than hitting the gas hard from the start. 

When I ride with young folks, they always seem to want to hit the ground running, and I say "take it easy, junior!"

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2020 at 11:43 AM, Square Wheels said:

From what little I know, and it truly is a little, I don't do static stretches, I've read and been told by a former coach, that they can cause more harm, and do almost no good.  She seems to be doing a mix of active and static stretches.

She indicates in her post she’s doing dynamic warm ups.  When my son was playing ball their routines were similar but more specific to throwing.  A little more upper body & arm movements but the pace of the activity was similar

On 4/27/2020 at 10:08 AM, Razors Edge said:

I generally just ride at a low HR (below 130 bpm) for 10-15 minutes before ramping up my effort.  I don't know how that helps with my joints, but I know it helps with the overall ride to have my body warmed up slowly rather than hitting the gas hard from the start. 

When I ride with young folks, they always seem to want to hit the ground running, and I say "take it easy, junior!"

i do the same.  The first few miles I cruise and then build up speed.  What I find is funny is when my wife wants to get her heart rate up early in a ride and takes off.  See ya!   My knees can’t do it.